Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,201 Members 52,649 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Questions About the Dev Editon VZW S5

Tip us?

clemson91
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 82
Default Questions About the Dev Editon VZW S5

I was thinking of going ahead an ordering the Dev S5, but how easy is it to root a dev edition phone.

I've never owned a dev edition phone, so would it be as simple as downloading something from the app store or adb fastboot a custom recovery, then flash a root zip? Also is the bootloader already unlocked or do they just make it where you can unlock it, but it still comes locked at first? I'm just trying to figure out what the steps would be when the phone arrives to get it rooted.

Does the anyone know if Asurion would cover the phone? When you activate it, does it just show up as a Galaxy S5 or something different?

Also for anyone wanting to buy the Dev S5, you can just sell your normal S5 on ebay, and the get the Dev S5 for like $50 more, at least that's what I did.

Skeetch79
Old
Thanks Meter 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by clemson91 View Post
I was thinking of going ahead an ordering the Dev S5, but how easy is it to root a dev edition phone.

I've never owned a dev edition phone, so would it be as simple as downloading something from the app store or adb fastboot a custom recovery, then flash a root zip? Also is the bootloader already unlocked or do they just make it where you can unlock it, but it still comes locked at first? I'm just trying to figure out what the steps would be when the phone arrives to get it rooted.

Does the anyone know if Asurion would cover the phone? When you activate it, does it just show up as a Galaxy S5 or something different?

Also for anyone wanting to buy the Dev S5, you can just sell your normal S5 on ebay, and the get the Dev S5 for like $50 more, at least that's what I did.
Root is easy as it comes already bootloader unlocked. It is unlocked at the factory. To root, basically flash Odin image of a supported custom recovery (you can try Philz Touch recovery - as long as it supports the S5) or download an app from the play store which can flash a custom recovery as long as the S5 is supported. Then reboot into your Custom recovery and flash this zip: http://download.chainfire.eu/396/Sup...erSU-v1.94.zip

Bingo, you are now rooted!!!

Once you accomplish root, the next step you should immediately take is dd all partitions!!! I mean all!! Make a back up of all partitions!!! There are no official ODIN images available for the DevS4 or DevS5 - all images have come from the community. We have rooted our devices and backed up the partitions in case something goes wrong and we need to recover. Again, back up system, cache, radio, modem, aboot, recovery, etc etc etc....all!
The Following User Says Thank You to Skeetch79 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Skeetch79
Old
Thanks Meter 158
Request: Once the Developer Editions are in hand and rooted. Would someone be willing to dd all of the partitions and host them? I have a DevS4 and being that I will never see an update to KitKat, I would be interested in seeing if I can upgrade using the partitions from the DevS5 (all but ABOOT).