Originally Posted by adamsilver1987
Currently running timurs rom but it crashes a lot. Are there other roms that allow fast charge, sleep/wake with power, on screen volume etc.
Any help greatly appreciated
I've been running Timur's ROM as well and I really want an alternative as well as I've been facing issues with the ROM, and it looks like Timur has discontinued development on the 2012 model.
From what I've seen so far though CM11 should support USB DACs so I'm keen to try that out.
- that's a kernel setting so any custom kernel should allow that.
Sleep/Wake on power
- After many months of usage, sleep or even firm sleep has been a hit or miss for me. When it works, it works really well but sometimes a some random app might cause a wakelock, draining the battery. Even otherwise, there are many other issues such as USB audio doesn't resume. Plus the battery tends to drains quicker + looses health because of being in a hot car.
So instead, what I'm planning to do, is to just completely shutdown/boot up a tablet
on power. Some notes:
- Bootup time is fairly quick - about 30 seconds, upto a minute, which is acceptable for me. You can reduce the startup time even further by using apps like BootManager to prevent unnecessary apps from starting up. Perhaps we can slim down the ROM further by deleting unnecessary apks etc.
- Fresh start is always a better option - you don't want your tablet to crash while driving right? I've had to reboot many times before or during driving, and it annoys me to say the least.
- USB audio always works fine when booted (well, with Timur's ROM anyways, need to test with CM11/others)
- No battery drain due to device standby or wakelocks
- No overheating and loss of battery health
- For shutdown on power loss, we can use Tasker. Maybe make a script to first turn the screen off, and after say 10 minutes of idle turn off the device completely (this will give us a chance to resume quickly in case we stopped the car for some reason).
- For startup on power, we can use the fastboot oem command to make the device automatically power up
: From daily usage, this hasn't been very practical in reality. I mean if you're driving, you really shouldn't be looking at the screen and trying to aim at the tiny buttons. Instead, a better option would be to use gestures to control the volume. There are heaps of apps for this, eg: All In One Gestures, Tasker, Gesture Navigation, GMD GestureControl, etc. You could use a single-swipe down and swipe-up to increase the volume up/down. Swipe left/right to change tracks. Two finger swipes to switch between apps. Just use your imagniation.
Might seem like a lot of work initially, but IMHO it'll be worth it, at least to get a stable ROM which is updated regularly (not to mention, you get to use the newest GApps!).
My only concern is to get the DAC working on startup. Might have to look into Timur's startup scripts to see how he does it - maybe even port the FHD scripts over to 2012 if necessary.