Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,106 Members 39,451 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How do you disable USB automount?

Tip us?

Errant33
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennisg34 View Post
What was the last device you owned that allowed you to charge only? I don't remember my S4 having a charge only option, although I never feared someone would hook it up to a computer and steal files.

Sent from my SM-G900V using XDA Free mobile app
Cyanogenmod Modded Note II was not charge only, just had the ability to not auto select mount options from the storage menu you could simply uncheck both. Cant seem to do that with S5 stock rom.
Phone: Samaung Galaxy S5
Tablet: Acer Iconia A500
Retired: Note II, Galaxy Nexus, HTC Thunderbolt, Samsung Charge, DroidX, Droid OG

Dennisg34
Old
Thanks Meter 316

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Errant33 View Post
Cyanogenmod Modded Note II was not charge only, just had the ability to not auto select mount options from the storage menu you could simply uncheck both. Cant seem to do that with S5 stock rom.
That was prob a CM ROM feature, stock S5 might not have this option.

Verizon Samsung Galaxy S5 ROOTED
ROM: Wizzle ROM
KERNEL:Stock
RECOVERY:SafeStrap 3.75

Galaxy S4
ROM: Eclipse ROM
KERNEL: KToonez
RECOVERY: TWRP 2.5

Before asking a question, use this:

Errant33
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
That was prob a CM ROM feature, stock S5 might not have this option.

It may or may not but previous android versions allowed this behavior on stock roms. Took a bit of messing around but you could get it to stop auto-mounting, usually by enabling debug mode in developer options, that doesn't seem to be the case anymore .
Retired: Note II, Galaxy Nexus, HTC Thunderbolt, Samsung Charge, DroidX, Droid OG

Dennisg34
Old
Thanks Meter 316

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
It may or may not but previous android versions allowed this behavior on stock roms. Took a bit of messing around but you could get it to stop auto-mounting, usually by enabling debug mode in developer options, that doesn't seem to be the case anymore .
I think it may be the opposite, have you unchecked USB debugging and then plugged it into a computer? I know that sounds simple and stupid, but debugging mode is made to transfer files

Galaxy S4

Sharpie603
Old
Thanks Meter 229

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
In the past I could enable USB debug and my USB storage would not auto mount to the computer it was connected to. Now no mater what I try with the S5 it will not allow me to disable this automount behavior, even while on the lock screen. I find this to be a HUGE issue with security anyone who can grab my phone can access all the files on it very quickly.

Has anyone figured out how to disable this?

Sorry if this has been asked already, I did search.
If the screen is locked you should not be able to see phone or SD storage. Try this.

- Unplug the phone from the PC
- Lock the screen
- Plug phone back into PC

You should see the PC recognize the device, but when you click into it, it should be empty until you unlock the phone.

If you unlock the phone while plugged in. It will remember this until unplugged and locked again.

As far as I'm concerned turning the only real way is to set Windows to stop auto play for the device. However this would have to be done on any PC it's connected to.
Sharpie603 - Samsung Galaxy S 5 (SM-G900V) ROM - Stock - Rooted

Errant33
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpie603 View Post
If the screen is locked you should not be able to see phone or SD storage. Try this.

- Unplug the phone from the PC
- Lock the screen
- Plug phone back into PC

You should see the PC recognize the device, but when you click into it, it should be empty until you unlock the phone.

If you unlock the phone while plugged in. It will remember this until unplugged and locked again.

As far as I'm concerned turning the only real way is to set Windows to stop auto play for the device. However this would have to be done on any PC it's connected to.
And now I feel stupid, thank you for the help. I didn't even check to see if the drives were showing up once autoplay triggered and the device showed up in "Computer" I assumed the storage was available.

Sharpie603
Old
Thanks Meter 229

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
I think it may be the opposite, have you unchecked USB debugging and then plugged it into a computer? I know that sounds simple and stupid, but debugging mode is made to transfer files

Dennis, you are half right. USB debugging is meant for file transferring (but on a deeper level). It is more of a dev. tool then setting for the average user. When USB Debugging is enabled Devs. use it for establishing a connection Between the Android SDK(Software Development Kit) with an Android Based Device
Sharpie603 - Samsung Galaxy S 5 (SM-G900V) ROM - Stock - Rooted

Dennisg34
Old
Thanks Meter 316

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpie603 View Post
Dennis, you are half right. USB debugging is meant for file transferring (but on a deeper level). It is more of a dev. tool then setting for the average user. When USB Debugging is enabled Devs. use it for establishing a connection Between the Android SDK(Software Development Kit) with an Android Based Device
Lol I knew that mike, I just didn't feel like typing all those details out so I just said transfer files

Galaxy S4