Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,912 Members 40,470 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Help!! Soft Keys not Working

Tip us?

spirodave
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 47
Default Help!! Soft Keys not Working

I am having a problem with my soft keys . They do not work and sometimes they light up and the only way to shut them off is to reboot the device. I have try a restore to factory using odin with no luck obviously. It sucks because i can only use custom roms with the navigation bar included.. Any advise is much appreciated .

spirodave
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 47
I guess since I have had no replies then I'm Sol. Seems to be a hardware problem but the circumstances led me to believe it to be software

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

padre629
Old
(Last edited by padre629; 5th May 2014 at 01:14 AM.)
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by spirodave View Post
I guess since I have had no replies then I'm Sol. Seems to be a hardware problem but the circumstances led me to believe it to be software

Try to go to stock GB or ICS with ODIN. Try also go to stock JB 4.1.2.

Do you say that softkeys-light is turned-on but not working?! If that issue isn't software-related, it can be a missing contact in flex (in other words, the flex [cable-like connector] that connects softkeys with board isn't fully connected, giving the appearance of to be working.
Hahahahaha it's only a hypothesis.

The last solution: try to inspect the hardware, yourself and/or the help of an expert.

Hope to help.

My daily driver and 'partner' Samsung Galaxy Note III SM-N900T
Previous: HTC Sensation 4G, Samsung Galaxy Blaze 4G, HTC MyTouch 4G, Samsung Galaxy SII SGH-T989

Android Ver.: 4.4.2
ROM: Stock!
Kernel: Stock!
Recovery: PhilZ Touch 6.41.6
Baseband: N900TUVUCNB4

spirodave
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by padre629 View Post
Try to go to stock GB or ICS with ODIN. Try also go to stock JB 4.1.2.

Do you say that softkeys-light is turned-on but not working?! If that issue isn't software-related, it can be a missing contact in flex (in other words, the flex [cable-like connector] that connects softkeys with board isn't fully connected, giving the appearance of to be working.
Hahahahaha it's only a hypothesis.

The last solution: try to inspect the hardware, yourself and/or the help of an expert.

Hope to help.
the lights are off most of the time ... Sometimes they will come on but they stay on and are not responsive to my touch at all .. at that point a reboot is needed to get them to shut off.. This all started when i was running the adb command pull /system command . While the system was being pulled from my phone the power went out and my computer shut off. After that i have had no luck at all . I have tried different roms and even went back to stock. Maybe ill give it another try. I am sick of the nav bar it takes up real estate on my screen ..I can open up the phone but am not sure what to inspect . ZZI have ideas but not a specific location to check.. Thanks any more input would be appreciated

spirodave
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 47
OK I had a problem using Odin to go to stock. I think it was a bad download of the uvle1 rom I had. But I used KIES and was successful with the flash but it did not fix the keys. I noticed they have been coming on more but they are not responsive. They fact they turn on tells me it could be software if I'm lucky but flashing new Roms don't fix it. I am still holding out hope that they might just fix themselves lol. Maybe its a sensor?

spirodave
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 47
Wow as I was writing this I figured out how to make them go off without rebooting. I put my fingers across all the keys and held them there and the lights turned off. They have never turned off without rebooting before.