Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,243 Members 52,087 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

usefullness of android keys

Tip us?

hajime_android
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Default usefullness of android keys

Hello, how useful it is to have Android keys on the external keyboard?

Shaderach
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by hajime_android View Post
Hello, how useful it is to have Android keys on the external keyboard?
Do you want to control music playing in the background without switching out of the app you're in?

Do you need to immediately jump to email, internet, or your calendar frequently?
The Following User Says Thank You to Shaderach For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

hajime_android
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Yes for both questions.

For Q1, I think most external keyboards such as the Logitech Bluetooth Illuminated Keyboard K810 has volume up and down keys. What is the difference between these volume-control keys and specific Android volume-control keys?

Shaderach
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
What is the difference between these volume-control keys and specific Android volume-control keys?
I don't know, but I'd guess nothing.

wingdo
Old
Thanks Meter 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaderach View Post
I don't know, but I'd guess nothing.
Nothing is the correct answer, but they do allow you to adjust volume, brightness etc without taking your fingers off the keyboard.

Samsung Galaxy S4: Rooted de-bloated Stock 4.2.2
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014: Stock, rooted, bloat frozen
Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2: Stock, rooted, de-bloated

D1 -> POS ThunderBolt -> Bionic -> RAZR MAXX -> Samsung Galaxy S4

hajime_android
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
But I think most keyboards (for Mac, for Windows) also allow us to adjust the volume and brightness. So, having an Android keyboard does not make a difference except activating email, calendar, web browser? As the tablet will be placed in a very close distance, one could also use the touch screen to activate them. Can I assign special functions to some keys of non-Android keyboard such as the Logitech Bluetooth Illuminated Keyboard K810? That could be very useful.

Shaderach
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
So, having an Android keyboard does not make a difference except activating email, calendar, web browser? As the tablet will be placed in a very close distance, one could also use the touch screen to activate them.
Not the same. With the hotkeys no matter what you're doing or what app you're using you can open internet, mail, or calendar in ONE button press. Without the hotkeys you need to switch out of your app, swipe to the icon, and hit it. That's three presses minimum. It doesn't sound like a big difference but it is and you'll get used to using them (and annoyed without them) quickly.

hajime_android
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
So, it is better to get an Android keyboard with Android function keys?

Duly.noted
Old
Thanks Meter 102
Quote:
But I think most keyboards (for Mac, for Windows) also allow us to adjust the volume and brightness. So, having an Android keyboard does not make a difference except activating email, calendar, web browser? As the tablet will be placed in a very close distance, one could also use the touch screen to activate them. Can I assign special functions to some keys of non-Android keyboard such as the Logitech Bluetooth Illuminated Keyboard K810? That could be very useful.

Quote:
Not the same. With the hotkeys no matter what you're doing or what app you're using you can open internet, mail, or calendar in ONE button press. Without the hotkeys you need to switch out of your app, swipe to the icon, and hit it. That's three presses minimum. It doesn't sound like a big difference but it is and you'll get used to using them (and annoyed without them) quickly.

Quote:
Do you want to control music playing in the background without switching out of the app you're in?

Do you need to immediately jump to email, internet, or your calendar frequently?

Quote:
Yes for both questions.

For Q1, I think most external keyboards such as the Logitech Bluetooth Illuminated Keyboard K810 has volume up and down keys. What is the difference between these volume-control keys and specific Android volume-control keys?
External keyboard helper answers any and all questions. Lets you assign hotkeys for android functions and apps and configure them to your preference with hotkeys being activated by hitting control or s ok mething similar. So no a android specific one isnt necessarily better unless you dont want to set something up at all. Which I doubt since your here on xda. I have mine set so key combos open certain apps and one opens up my multiwindow launcher allowing me to launch any app ive added to it as a floating window. Very useful when using a mouse and keyboard

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app