Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,291 Members 47,001 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Can you turn off the boot sound?

Tip us?

ag3mo
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] Can you turn off the boot sound?

Anyone know if it's possible to get rid of the T-Mobile sound on boot? I'm rooted with a custom recovery but unable to get s-off if that helps anything.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app

tony_5309
Old
Thanks Meter 81

Just name both files .bak at the end or just delete the 2 all together with your favorite root explorer.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

GinoAMelone
Old
Thanks Meter 52
Should we delete the whole animation, or just the two jingle files at the top of the list?

theminigame
Old
Thanks Meter 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinoAMelone View Post
Should we delete the whole animation, or just the two jingle files at the top of the list?
I'm thinking Just the jingle files. Deleting the whole animation would probably leave you with the classic, metallic "android" boot animation, as the T-Mobile part was probably just packed in to the original animation...
For safety reasons, I would do the "bak" thing, that way you still have easy access to those files if something goes wrong.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

ag3mo
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Thanks for this. For some reason when I tried renaming the files with root explorer it looked like it worked but after reopening the app the files had reverted back to their original filenames. No idea what's going on with that. I ended up going into TWRP and renaming there which worked.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app

Behold_this
Old
Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter 3,558

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by ag3mo View Post
Thanks for this. For some reason when I tried renaming the files with root explorer it looked like it worked but after reopening the app the files had reverted back to their original filenames. No idea what's going on with that. I ended up going into TWRP and renaming there which worked.
Since you are s-on, you can't make directly make system changes while booted to OS. All changes will be reverted because you actually are not writing to system, it only appears that way. HTCs kernel provides system rw protection which prevents modification to system partition. You have three options, flash a custom kernel, use flar2s system rw mod, or reboot to twrp recovery and make changes using its built in file manager (changes made while in recovery will stick).