Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,209 Members 48,540 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Cannot reset Nook Tablet

Tip us?

mockermar
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Cannot reset Nook Tablet

Recently my Nook Tablet 16Gb stopped opening ebooks. It is quite essential feature since I only use it to read books.

The story started ~2-3 years ago. I have bought Nook Tablet and wanted to get root access (to get some nice apps from android market). To get root access I used something like zergRush tutorial os similar. It worked fine until the B&N released new update 1.4.3. I have lost root access. Yet I was able to run already installed apps. It was totally fine with me: ebooks + a few apps from android market.

Yet as I said in the beginning, I could not open ebooks anymore. So I decided to erase & deregister device (and say goodbye to limited root). I clicked it and after Nook restarted the message "Please restart your device and try again...." showed up. After the second restart the message disappeared but Nook was not erased. The same data, the same issue.

Then I decided to google and try to "unbrick" (despite it is not really bricked). I made bootable microSD, and tried loading 1.4.2 factory recovery zip. Everything was fine, I even saw a green checkmark on a screen "Do NOT Turn Off Your Device Installing New Software....". Yet after I ejected microSD and Nook restarted, nothing changed. It was still the same system with exactly the same data.

Next thing that I have tried is to follow steps from github of succulent under acclaim_recovery_sdcard. The same story. After restart Nook always keeps running the same system.

I even formatted the following partitions in one time:
/rom
/bootdata
/system
/cache
/data

The same system after restart...

Tried to apply root for 1.4.3 and install different rom. The same system as before any manipulations.

How is it even possible?! What should I try next? Any ideas appreciated.

mockermar
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Here is additional information. I logged in using adb shell and executed the following commands:
Code:
Select Code
adb shell
# whoami
root
# cd /tmp
# mkdir mnt
# mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p8 mnt
# du -sh mnt
402.7M  mnt
# rm -rf mnt/*
# du -sh mnt
4.0K  mnt
# umount mnt
# du -sh mnt
402.7M  mnt
It seems that I cannot modify anything on my NT.

I have also tried to fill some partitions with zeros to see what happens
Code:
Select Code
# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p8
# du -sh mnt
402.7M  mnt

No effect. Could not wipe any data from NT. Any ideas what it can be and how it can be fixed?..

mikeataol
Old
Thanks Meter 22
I hate to say it, but I've seen the same thing, and finally gave up after days of trying.

(see page 2 currently in this forum " cant modify any partitions. want to totally ZAP the NT" )

in hundreds of NOOKS reworked, I had this one, like yours, that no matter what I did, nothing about the partitions would change,
I did things to it that should have rendered it totally dead, yet it reboots every time with the exact same OS and installed stuff as before
I tried every utilty, and manually using partition tools many times.

I believe the flash RAM gets set with a "read-only" attribute and its deep, something very special must be done to un-do it.

theres a utility called Roehsoft Drive Expert, which when I mailed the developer he claimed he could correct it, but for me it wasnt worth paying for the app ($34).

I finally just took it for parts and put a working system board in it