Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] To Root i need unlocked bootloader but first i need backup TA, that needs root :/

OP dmeerpa

5th May 2014, 10:25 AM   |  #11  
Flag Mysore
Thanks Meter: 179

502 posts
More
Wink
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobomo

I don't understand why someone would post bad directions like that. Also they are very similar to Doomlord's own instructions for rooting. He says to flash an old exploitable kernel and then run his exploit and then flash back.

Anyways, your method says to downgrade to .67 firmware, and I can't find that anywhere. Can I downgrade to .423 firmware and use Doomlord's root method instead? Should be the same results, right?

Also, is step 8 necessary? Do I have to flash back stock recovery or can I keep CWM?

And finally, using this method, how will we keep root when 4.4 finally arrives?

yeah. that kernel method worked for previous firmware. now it won't work. and yeah you can downgrade to any rootable firmware. u are doing this just to backup TA so that you can lock BL. you can keep that advanced kernel. but you wont get OTA updates, better to flash stock kernel and lock your BL. when 4.4 arrives, if no rooting kit is available, you've to unlock BL, install advanced stock kernel which has custom recovery and install SU and flash back stock kernel and lock your BL
5th May 2014, 07:12 PM   |  #12  
Thanks Meter: 193

1,106 posts
More
After you've rooted, but before you actually unlock your bootloader... if you install the dual boot recovery, you can make a backup of your TA partition information via TWRP as well as by using the other method... (do both to ensure you can revert)...

And then after you unlock your boot loader save ANOTHER TA backup... name them so you know which is which so you can re-lock your TA if you choose if you're running a stock kernel/rom and want the DRM keys back... but that way you don't have to go through the pain for unlocking each time...

Sent from my Touchpad using Tapatalk
6th May 2014, 12:10 AM   |  #13  
Thanks Meter: 12

66 posts
Well I ended up not even needing to unlock the bootloader for my goal, which was simply stock + root on .101.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...1&postcount=23

Only had one small issue with the flashed zip/stripped FTF messing up the XZDualRecovery settings, but deleting xzdr.prop and rebooting fixed it.
7th May 2014, 02:05 AM   |  #14  
Flag Londrina
Thanks Meter: 12

52 posts
More
When i was searching for, i really thought i was being crazy.
so many devices with a single click to root

I cant wait to start theming my ZL, Some mockups cooking here to new skins, but can't test without that root.
well, Did that steps worked well?
Last edited by Adilson Casula; 7th May 2014 at 02:09 AM. Reason: typo
7th May 2014, 05:42 PM   |  #15  
Flag Mysore
Thanks Meter: 179

502 posts
More
Angry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobomo

Well I ended up not even needing to unlock the bootloader for my goal, which was simply stock + root on .101.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...1&postcount=23

Only had one small issue with the flashed zip/stripped FTF messing up the XZDualRecovery settings, but deleting xzdr.prop and rebooting fixed it.

if u go with method, u have to download those stripped files every time when new firmware arrives. which is kinda boring to download those huge files. whereas in that unlocking BL method, u download only kernels with recovery which is just 15 to 20MB
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread