Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,901 Members 51,561 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

4.4.2 ota root

Tip us?
 
Blairfelts@hotmail.com
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 3
Join Date: Apr 2014
Default 4.4.2 ota root

I could find no information on this sorry if its been brought up already. I have never rooted my DNA. I have all my other previous phones though. I am now running 4.4.2. So my phone is completely stock. How would I go about obtaining root and unlocking recovery.
 
Jaggar345
Old
#2  
Jaggar345's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 153
Posts: 1,086
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Amston
They patched the rumrunner exploit so... You can try firewater but there is no guarantee anything will work.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
 
Blairfelts@hotmail.com
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 3
Join Date: Apr 2014
Trying Firewater if it doesn't work could it harm my phone or if it doesn't work it just doesn't do anything?
 
Jaggar345
Old
#4  
Jaggar345's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 153
Posts: 1,086
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Amston
Nope of it doesn't work your phone won't be touched. I don't think that one was blocked so it should work. The only way your phone can be harmed in the process is of you unplug it while the exploit is running. In simple terms once you start the exploit don't touch anything until it says complete.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
 
derekdauzat
Old
#5  
derekdauzat's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 6
Posts: 40
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: marksville

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blairfelts@hotmail.com View Post
Trying Firewater if it doesn't work could it harm my phone or if it doesn't work it just doesn't do anything?
did this work?? I need to know cuz im in the same boat
 
sum182
Old
#6  
Member
Thanks Meter 8
Posts: 41
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Just tried and i got a temp root, which allowed me to run firewater for S-Off on the 4.4.2 ota.

1.) Install the necessary drivers
2.) Install and gain temp root with weaksauce, from this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2699089
3.) After obtaining Temp root (TuneInRadio will appear in your notification bar if its running) Run Firewater (normal, rooted device method) and your golden: http://firewater-soff.com/instructions/

Make sure to follow all the instructions for Weaksauce and Firewater.
The Following User Says Thank You to sum182 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
jtio21
Old
#7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 9
Posts: 131
Join Date: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by sum182 View Post
Just tried and i got a temp root, which allowed me to run firewater for S-Off on the 4.4.2 ota.

1.) Install the necessary drivers
2.) Install and gain temp root with weaksauce, from this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2699089
3.) After obtaining Temp root (TuneInRadio will appear in your notification bar if its running) Run Firewater (normal, rooted device method) and your golden: http://firewater-soff.com/instructions/

Make sure to follow all the instructions for Weaksauce and Firewater.
And it worked even with your phone having to have a passcode/pin/pattern

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using XDA Free mobile app
 
sum182
Old
#8  
Member
Thanks Meter 8
Posts: 41
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtio21 View Post
And it worked even with your phone having to have a passcode/pin/pattern

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using XDA Free mobile app
It didn't have to have a pin/passcode/pattern. However, firewater didn't cause the phone to reboot at all, and neither did weaksauce temp root. So i wouldn't image it would be an issue anyway (but possibly). Just disable your lock before you run firewater.
 
JMontaner
Old
#9  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 1
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Howell
Default Its time....

Thanks for the info, I think its time for me to root this phone now. I was nervous because I jumped the gun with KK and now I was looking all over to find out whats the best way with the new update. This is the only thread that even mentioned it, so hope this runs smoothly for me. I havent rooted a HTC phone since my Rezound! I hope I can shake the rust off myself and do it right the first time!

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes