Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,230 Members 48,171 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

AT&T S5 Devs, do we have any?

Tip us?

az-dave
Old
Thanks Meter 31
Sorry 'bout that. I bricked my S3 trying to get to the root system of the S3 to see if possible thru Ubuntu. I attempted briefly to link the S5 up, but got scared and decided to test the method on the S3.

I believe it bricked cuz it partially worked and altered something on the /system/app or /system mount...in other words - DONT TRY THIS ON THE S5 either.

Anyway, I finally got the correct stock rom image and recovery for the old S3 and fixed it (after trying to flash about 20 other ROMS).

I too scared to re-attempt the same mounting for the S5...however I will note, I was able to mount the S5 and see certain directories...it does Odd things depending on whether or not the SD card is inserted...I was seeing 2 different "Android" directories on my S5 with the SDcard inserted and no "Android" dirs with it out...thats why I decided NOT to continue on the S5 and instead use the poor S3 and the Guinne pig.

I do believe with the right driver/app one could indeed connect a rooted S3 to an S5 and peer..the question is will it brick one or both devices trying...??

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott14719 View Post
JB or KitKat?

Oh never mind, I see you are talking about your S3.

---------- Post added at 05:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:56 PM ----------

Not really...the reason I bricked my S3 is cuz I was trying to find a backdoor into the S5 using the S3 and Ubuntu...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmb03 View Post
ummm wrong area buddy

---------- Post added at 05:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:58 PM ----------

Thank you - And I may try again...just a little differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstayton View Post
no actually he is in the right area that was a continuation of him trying to use his S3 to connect to his S5 through a direct connect.

az-dave
Old
Thanks Meter 31
I wonder would there be any possible way to side-load MAPS V6.14 onto the S5 ??

Im thinking a re-compiled version that runs as its own stand-alone app? The new Maps feature is KILLING me while trying to Navigate in traffic to clients...at anytime in route to a destination on V6.14 I could hit the back button 1 time, then click on "get directions" and it would instantly tell me the new miles and estimated time to destination.

2 clicks, fast, ez, and *fairly* safe to do. Cannot do the same with the new one without backing all the way out to search (3 clicks back), re-click search, click on the destination (if it even appears), then 2 or 3 more clicks to get a new route...literally a lifetime when one is en-route - Dangerous...and even if your a passenger, you can miss an exit to a re-route if you notice an issue up ahead.

I just dont know if its possible without root...??

TOA Duck
Old
Thanks Meter 135
I thought you could side load without root. Go to security and click allow unknown.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk
Samsung Galaxy S II
Samsung Infuse
Samsung Focus WP7
iPhone 3g good riddance

http://forum.xda-developers.com/signaturepics/sigpic3113310_1.gif