Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,779,990 Members 37,228 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Z ultra GPE Magnetic USB Charging Not functioning

Tip us?

antoniolopez90
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Question [Q] Z ultra GPE Magnetic USB Charging Not functioning

So after the price drop I hastily purchased my ZU GPE. This device seems awesome! I went ahead and purchased one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The wierd part is the battery icon in the nav bar says charging but battery settings page, battery monitor widget, and time tell me that my phone is still discharging while I have the phone in the dock. I also purchased a magnetic cable separately and found the same result.

I have resorted to charging via microusb but found even that isn't too fast.. 28% per hour for about 4 hour charge from an Anker 40w 5 port dedicated USB charger.

I neglected to charge my ZU for 30 minutes prior to turning it on was this instruction something I seriously shouldn't have overlooked?

I am hoping this is user error and not a defective ZU... Please reply if you have any helpful insight or info.

blueether
Old
Thanks Meter 1,095

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by antoniolopez90 View Post
So after the price drop I hastily purchased my ZU GPE. This device seems awesome! I went ahead and purchased one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The wierd part is the battery icon in the nav bar says charging but battery settings page, battery monitor widget, and time tell me that my phone is still discharging while I have the phone in the dock. I also purchased a magnetic cable separately and found the same result.

I have resorted to charging via microusb but found even that isn't too fast.. 28% per hour for about 4 hour charge from an Anker 40w 5 port dedicated USB charger.

I neglected to charge my ZU for 30 minutes prior to turning it on was this instruction something I seriously shouldn't have overlooked?

I am hoping this is user error and not a defective ZU... Please reply if you have any helpful insight or info.
Use these cheep chargers with caution, there have been at lest 3 that I've seen on forum that have killed their ZU with them.

The ZU will only draw 500mA on usb even on usb3 or the charging port on my laptop, not sure what that can handle but the ZU still only draws 500mA

Connected to a wall charger of at least 1500mA my ZU will charge in about 2.5 hours
Charles
Alcatel One Touch "easy" -> Nokia 1110i -> Alcatel ame-408 -> Motorola Razr v3 -> Huawei u8100 -> Sony Xperia Z-Ultra

ROM:- Carbon
Kernel:- Pimped Kernel

Thankyou to all those that have donated to me over 2014.

antoniolopez90
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Another interesting developement... when it reached 100% on microusb the screen kept flashing on and off... I guess I am going to have to do a factory reset and see if this helps things...

Thanks for the reply I will keep that in mind about the chargers

antoniolopez90
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Just thought I would update.. I tried charging it off my macbook pro and got screen flicker again. This was after factory reset. Google was nice enough to give me an RMA so I think Im going to drive to the nearest sony store to pickup an Xperia Z Ultra. Hopefully tomorrow I will have a working phone...

LordManhattan
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 5,650
Why aren't you using original accessories? You can't expect things to work when you keep using cheap knockoffs. If there's one thing you don't want to mess with, it's the battery, so use the original Sony dock/USB charger and you'll be fine.

Sent from my Z Ultra
Tags
dk30, gpe