Now Gesture Tweaks Replaces Google Now with Custom Action

On most modern Android devices with software navigation keys, swiping up from the … more

ToqAN Fixes Android 5.0 Notification Bug on Qualcomm Toq

The Qualcomm Toq is probably one of the lesser known smartwatches on the market … more

How to Root and Unlock the Google Nexus 6 on a Mac – XDA TV

In the past, XDA Developer TV Producer droidmodd3rx has shown you how to … more

Set Up Your MediaTek Device with Comprehensive Beginner’s Guide

As can be seen with the use of MediaTek chips in Android One devices … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[SOLVED] Installing a custom ROM on Xperia Z1 using XZDualRecovery

OP sarxion

7th May 2014, 08:32 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Flag Monterrey
Thanks Meter: 1

5 posts
More
Hello guys. I'm new to the community, but I did my homework and I can honestly say I've spent a good +40 hours on this site in the past month, and it paid off since I'm now the proud owner of a rooted Xperia Z1 running 4.4.2 KitKat with XZdualrecovery which is something I tought I would never do out of fear of bricking my device and the lack of information and support for my rather "slightly rare" C6906 model with annoyances like a non-unlockable bootloader , where the C6903 and C6902 models get all the attention. Anyway guys, I rooted my phone, awesome...but for me, the next step is installing a custom rom, because I feel that the stock xperia Z1 firmware is not enough for my customizing needs, plus I also envy the stock like experience it provides, even more than my Z1. I read up on a few guides for installing cyanogenmod on the Z1, but they all seem to be only supported for the C6903 and C6902 models. Plus, it doesn't help to motivate myself knowing that my C6906 model still has a locked bootloader (apparently) and I've read unlocking the bootloader is a requirement for installing custom ROMs. So, my questions are:

Is XZDualRecovery enough to install custom ROMs? Specially the version with the locked bootloader? Could I run into any issues?

If the answer to the previous question is yes, Are there any good guides concerning the C6906 model on how to install custom roms? (Or more importantly, cyanogenmod? [preferably versions that have been tested on the C6906])
Last edited by sarxion; 7th May 2014 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Misleading title
7th May 2014, 08:42 PM   |  #2  
Forum Moderator
Flag Manchester
Thanks Meter: 4,556

10,001 posts
Donate to Me
More
You cannot install anything like Cyanogenmod as it needs an unlocked bootloader

You can install any rom from the development section, just follow the locked bootloader instructions

Now that you have recovery, make a backup and follow the instructions in the thread.
The Following User Says Thank You to gregbradley For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th May 2014, 09:17 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Flag Monterrey

5 posts
More
Talking Thanks! :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley

You cannot install anything like Cyanogenmod as it needs an unlocked bootloader

You can install any rom from the development section, just follow the locked bootloader instructions

Now that you have recovery, make a backup and follow the instructions in the thread.

Thank you! You saved me a lot of time so I can stop searching for a way to install CM. I will look into the development section them. Any recommendations on what's a good/stable/popular ROM I can install then?
7th May 2014, 09:38 PM   |  #4  
Forum Moderator
Flag Manchester

10,001 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarxion

Thank you! You saved me a lot of time so I can stop searching for a way to install CM. I will look into the development section them. Any recommendations on what's a good/stable/popular ROM I can install then?

No, and xda mods don't like that question being asked. Best ROM and asking for best ROM threads get closed quickly. Here is why..

If you ask someone which pizza they should buy then people give their own favourites as a recommendation. I like hot, spicy and meaty ones, but if recommend that to you may say "That's disgusting!" you may be one of those people who like anchovies and sweetcorn on their pizza. That may be perfect for you, but I will hate it

In short, you have to try them yourself and see which one suits you best. One bit of advice though, even if someone recommends a ROM to you, its no guarantee you will like it.
Part of the appeal of android is that we can customise so much, so try, test for a week (It takes that long to get an idea of performance and battery) then move on and try another.
Once you have done that, flash your favourite.
The Following User Says Thank You to gregbradley For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th May 2014, 09:51 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member
Flag Monterrey

5 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley

No, and xda mods don't like that question being asked. Best ROM and asking for best ROM threads get closed quickly. Here is why..

If you ask someone which pizza they should buy then people give their own favourites as a recommendation. I like hot, spicy and meaty ones, but if recommend that to you may say "That's disgusting!" you may be one of those people who like anchovies and sweetcorn on their pizza. That may be perfect for you, but I will hate it

In short, you have to try them yourself and see which one suits you best. One bit of advice though, even if someone recommends a ROM to you, its no guarantee you will like it.
Part of the appeal of android is that we can customise so much, so try, test for a week (It takes that long to get an idea of performance and battery) then move on and try another.
Once you have done that, flash your favourite.

Oh ok...sorry, didn't know that...So, should I close this thread then? or is there a way to mark my questions as answered?
7th May 2014, 09:57 PM   |  #6  
Forum Moderator
Flag Manchester

10,001 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarxion

Oh ok...sorry, didn't know that...So, should I close this thread then? or is there a way to mark my questions as answered?

click on edit in your first post, then click on advanced
Change the title to say
[Solved] at the front of it
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread