Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Battery died overnight while charging on USB 2.0?

OP vinc3stylez

6th May 2014, 08:56 PM   |  #1  
vinc3stylez's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 19
 
259 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
I plugged in a 1 amp USB 2.0 charger before going to bed last night when the phone had about 30% of battery life. I've used this charger on my galaxy before and it charged to 100% without any hickups but the phone died on me tonight. What could have happened?
6th May 2014, 09:13 PM   |  #2  
Sharpie603's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 231
 
313 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinc3stylez

I plugged in a 1 amp USB 2.0 charger before going to bed last night when the phone had about 30% of battery life. I've used this charger on my galaxy before and it charged to 100% without any hickups but the phone died on me tonight. What could have happened?

Oh I don't know....Maybe the fact you are using the wrong charger? Lol no but seriously.

The S5 has a 2800mAh battery that is configured to charge off a 2.0A brick. Using anything but can result in this type of behavior.

First off you totally cut charging time in half but using a 1.0A charger. Second, there could of been apps using battery all night. I'd stick to the charger the phone came with.

*EDIT* Other then that all I can think of is it fell out of the phone/wall overnight. Unless you got kids. I've woken up plenty of times to see my kids trying to guess my unlock code.
Last edited by Sharpie603; 6th May 2014 at 09:21 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sharpie603 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th May 2014, 09:38 PM   |  #3  
vinc3stylez's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 19
 
259 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpie603

Oh I don't know....Maybe the fact you are using the wrong charger? Lol no but seriously.

The S5 has a 2800mAh battery that is configured to charge off a 2.0A brick. Using anything but can result in this type of behavior.

First off you totally cut charging time in half but using a 1.0A charger. Second, there could of been apps using battery all night. I'd stick to the charger the phone came with.

*EDIT* Other then that all I can think of is it fell out of the phone/wall overnight. Unless you got kids. I've woken up plenty of times to see my kids trying to guess my unlock code.

Thanks for your input but using a 1 amp charger should be more than enough to charge the phone regardless whatever background app is running. It may charge slower but there's a serious problem if the phone is discharging faster than that 1 amp charger could handle. I've used this charger for two weeks already and it worked fine until last night.
7th May 2014, 02:40 AM   |  #4  
Mr. bird's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 123
 
536 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinc3stylez

Thanks for your input but using a 1 amp charger should be more than enough to charge the phone regardless whatever background app is running. It may charge slower but there's a serious problem if the phone is discharging faster than that 1 amp charger could handle. I've used this charger for two weeks already and it worked fine until last night.

Maybe the wire isn't working right. Maybe the wire just gave out. It's happened to me before. I woke up with my S4 one day not charged because the wire that came with the phone decided not to work anymore.

Sent from my SM-G900V using XDA Free mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. bird For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th May 2014, 11:36 PM   |  #5  
vinc3stylez's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 19
 
259 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. bird

Maybe the wire isn't working right. Maybe the wire just gave out. It's happened to me before. I woke up with my S4 one day not charged because the wire that came with the phone decided not to work anymore.

Sent from my SM-G900V using XDA Free mobile app

thanks! it was actually exactly what happened. I guess the wire is frayed on the inside because it wouldn't work at some angles.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
battery, charge, galaxy s5, usb 2.0, usb 3.0
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes