Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,397 Members 47,080 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Xperia Z2 Ultimate Battery Saving Guide!

Tip us?

JackHanAnLG
Old
(Last edited by JackHanAnLG; 4th May 2014 at 09:53 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 65
Default Xperia Z2 Ultimate Battery Saving Guide!

Okay, so I've noticed a lot of people that are only getting around 4-5hours battery life, which is actually pretty good but they crave more, esspecially when people like myself are getting over 7 hours screen on time

So heres a guide that I have made for you guys!

Who needs a bright display, Not you that's who!

Screen

So first things first is the screen, its what will take up more battery life then any other component of the phone, so, Turn that baby right down, I use Auto brightness which can be found in the quick settings in the pull down bar Or Settings > Display > Brightness > Auto

Try having a screen time out which is around 10 seconds or less will also help, the less time the screen is on, the more power you will save!

X-Reality

X-Reality Engine is a great tool that Sony put into most of their flagship devices, it basically adds contracts to photos and videos, It works well and looks good, BUT if you arent using it turn it off, you will notice a difference. To do this Go to settings > Display > X-Reality and untick it

Double Tap To Wake

I use this great feature all the time ( Although it can be unresponsive sometimes ) I believe the screen will keep active while its off, to obviously wait for your double finger tap, if you dont use this, disable it by going into Settings > Display and unticking it

Notifications, What Notifications?

Syncing is a BIG part of android and its ecosystem, its what makes a smartphone a smartphone, Disbale syncing by either pulling down the settings menu and disabling it or go to settings > Scroll down > Auto sync off, You will stop getting notifications but battery life will be far better, trust me

Wifi, Bluetooth, NFC, Data & GPS What are these things?

Wifi, Bluetooth and NFC, GPS all have their uses, and so does 3G and 4G obviously, who could live without those right?

Unfortunately they drain the battery, A lot of it !

Wifi uses the least amount of battery, for internet connectivity especially if you put it on Wifi Optimization, to do this Go to settings > Wifi > Advanced > and tick it

Also. Keep WiFi on during sleep should be ticked off if you haven't got sync on

GPS is on as standard on any new android phone, untick and watch your battery increase! Go to settings > location > and Untick

3G and 4G are great, But take up the second most amount of battery, If you have a 4G plan I suggest you finding out if you have good coverage because the phone is constantly scanning, If you have bad 4G coverage, put 3G on instead, itll save battery and you may even get better speeds! To do this pull down your notifications bar and hit Mobile data which will activate 3G or 4G to activate 4G

Although NFC Can be useful and doesnt drain to much battery, it does a little by leaving it on, Disable it by going to the settings > More > Untick NFC

Sony Even Include Battery Saving Settings? WHAT

Thats right, Sony Include settings to help you save even more juice

Stamina Mode

Stamina mode is great, dont ask me how but it just works. Go to settings > Power Management > Tick Stamina Mode and watch yourself get more battery life!

Also, I dont think people know this but if you actually click Stamina mode it comes up with an option to restrict performance in favour for battery life, If you dont mind it being a little slow here and there I suggest clicking it, thats how I got OVER 7 HOURS SCREEN ON TIME

I Believe thats it, Thanks for reading this guide, I really hope It helps

- J
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to JackHanAnLG For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

shinematt
Old
(Last edited by shinematt; 5th May 2014 at 02:25 AM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Great guide! Thanks jack.

With settings really close to yours I'm up to 7.5 hours of screen time, and I still have 15% of battery left. And I only turned on stamina mode when I was down to 50%, so I'm sure I could get more!

(The "restricted performance" setting scared me at first but I really haven't noticed any difference to be honest)

JackHanAnLG
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 65
No problem, I think everyone should take a look at this, and not just for the this phone but for most phones

J

Sent from my D6503 using XDA Free mobile app

Seifer1975
Old
Thanks Meter 70
To be frank, 4 to 5 hours screen on time is more than sufficient for me. If I buy a Ferrari, I don't want to drive it like a Toyota.
Current Device
LG G3 32GB LTE

Smartphone History
Dopod 838 Pro -> Asus P750 -> HTC Touch Pro -> HTC Touch Pro2 -> Samsung Galaxy S -> Samsung Galaxy SII -> Asus Padfone -> Samsung Galaxy Note II LTE -> Sony Xperia Z2 -> LG G3 32GB LTE -> ??
The Following User Says Thank You to Seifer1975 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kartoonz
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seifer1975 View Post
To be frank, 4 to 5 hours screen on time is more than sufficient for me. If I buy a Ferrari, I don't want to drive it like a Toyota.
lol...

Anyway nice guide for existing and wanna be owners...

JackHanAnLG
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seifer1975 View Post

Due to laws you have to drive it like a Toyota

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JackHanAnLG For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

JackHanAnLG
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartoonz View Post
lol...

Anyway nice guide for existing and wanna be owners...
Thank you!

J

vittogn
Old
(Last edited by vittogn; 6th May 2014 at 08:04 PM.)
Thanks Meter 52
Why no a Nokia 3110 and have a one week battery?
SOT? Doesn't matter, there is nothing to watch on it!!!

Seriously. Thanks for the guide.
To be honest on a 700 piece of technology we shouldn't take care of him so much just to use it!
But if you want or need 7.5 hours SOT I guess your suggestion is the only way.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk
Ciao.
Vittore

Nexus 10 (Stock 4.4.2) - Nexus 4 (Stock 4.4.2) - Nexus 5 (Stock 4.4.2) - LG G2 D802 (CM 11 M6)

JackHanAnLG
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by vittogn View Post
Why no a Nokia 3110 and have a one week battery?
SOT? Doesn't matter, there is nothing to watch on it!!!

Seriously. Thanks for the guide.
To be honest on a 700 piece of technology we shouldn't take care of him so much just to use it!
But if you want or need 7.5 hours SOT I guess your suggestion is the only way.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk
Thanks! Like I said this will work with every phone

J