Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,799 Members 48,242 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Anyone tried flashing Gear 2 firmware to Gear 1?

Tip us?

jnrdata
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Default Anyone tried flashing Gear 2 firmware to Gear 1?

Now that the Gear 2 firmware is available, has anyone tried to flash it to the Gear 1 to see if possible? I'm thinking about trying it just to see what happens, but if someone else has tried and found out it's a day wrecker I'll hold off.

jnrdata
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Wishful thinking.... Fails every time

iBuzman
Old
(Last edited by iBuzman; 26th April 2014 at 01:14 PM.)
Thanks Meter 450
Umm.. Gear 1 runs Android and Gear 2 runs Tizen or something - this is almost like asking has anyone flashed iOS6 on their Windows Phone isn't it? (or am I missing something here).

Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk

jnrdata
Old
(Last edited by jnrdata; 26th April 2014 at 05:50 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBuzman View Post
Umm.. Gear 1 runs Android and Gear 2 runs Tizen or something - this is almost like asking has anyone flashed iOS6 on their Windows Phone isn't it? (or am I missing something here).

Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk
The hardware itself is almost identical between the two watches. Samsung has stated they are bringing Tizen to the Gear 1. I guess I'm just a little impatient. Maybe it could be ported to work?

bballengphd
Old
Thanks Meter 26
The original Tizen was designed as open source platform. However, after Samsung bough it, they have changed it to be a stripped down version of the androids that we see in our phones. I would assume they have made it more locked down than our typical android platforms. They did this similar to what Apple did when designing theri ios, so the dev's has to conform to their policies and make it harder to crack. Its all about money.

So even though the 2 watches are almost identical in terms of hardware, the first thing to do is try to unlock the firmware first, then we can see if it can be modified to fit the gear 1 or even any other smart watch.

Medy89
Old
(Last edited by Medy89; 26th April 2014 at 06:54 PM.)
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballengphd View Post
The original Tizen was designed as open source platform. However, after Samsung bough it, they have changed it to be a stripped down version of the androids that we see in our phones. I would assume they have made it more locked down than our typical android platforms. They did this similar to what Apple did when designing theri ios, so the dev's has to conform to their policies and make it harder to crack. Its all about money.

So even though the 2 watches are almost identical in terms of hardware, the first thing to do is try to unlock the firmware first, then we can see if it can be modified to fit the gear 1 or even any other smart watch.
this is interisting ... because I would consider buying a gear 2 if I could have android on it .... otherwise it would be useless to me ... and for the gear 1 .. Im not realyl fond of the size of it .... so thats sad ... they would get me sold with a gear 2 device that has android .... bad move I think .. they dont get my money.... since for just the few function it has I dont consider it really smart... so far found no device that matches these points ... except the gear 1 which is too bulky... im looking forward to that day such device with android becomes abailable

jnrdata
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Just saw this today. Maybe we could get a custom rom based off of this?
http://www.androidcentral.com/samsun...and-gear-2-neo