Tronsmart PS7 MTK6592 7" Phablet Unboxing, Review, and Root!

Search This thread

deadhp1

Dec 31, 2011
My Original Thread on ArmTVtech. For bigger pics follow the link.
http://www.armtvtech.com/armtvtechforum/viewtopic.php?f=565&t=74110

Today we're unboxing the Tronsmart PS7 Otca-Core Phablet.

title1.jpg

For those of you that are unfamiliar with the PS7 here are the specs:

7" 1920x1200 LTPS Screen
MTK6592 Octa-core SOC at 1.7Ghz
2GB of Ram
16GB of Internal Storage
Wifi B/G
BT
Micro-SD card Slot
Dual-Sim slots(1 micro-sim, 1 sim)
5MP Front Camera
13MP Rear Camera w/Flash
Micro-USB OTG port
Headphone Jack
Volume/Power Buttons
3500mAh Removeable Battery
GPS
2G:GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHz
3G:WCDMA 850/2100MHz
Android 4.2.2

We ordered that Tronsmart PS7 in black from Geekbuying. It arrived in under 6 days from China to NYC.
In a few days we'll have a full review up, but for now here is the unboxing!

ps7_unbox1.jpg

Nicely Airpacked!

ps7_unbox2.jpg

The box comes in a Tronsmart cardboard sleeve.

ps7_unbox3.jpg

Top of the box.

Bottom of box.

ps7_unbox5.jpg

Back hinge side of box.

ps7_unbox6.jpg

Front clasp side of box. This actually has magnets in it to keep it closed.

ps7_unbox7.jpg

Opened!

ps7_unbox8.jpg

Some extra IMEI stickers included.

ps7_unbox9.jpg

Underneath phablet tray is the User Manual and Screen Protector.

ps7_unbox010.jpg

Side compartment contains Micro-USB Cable, Headphones, and Power Adapter.

ps7_unbox012.jpg

Everything Unpacked.

ps7_unbox013.jpg

Tronsmart PS7 Front.

ps7_unbox014.jpg

Front(Closer).

ps7_unbox015.jpg

Back.

ps7_unbox016.jpg

Left Side with Volume +/-

ps7_unbox018.jpg

Right Side with Power.

ps7_unbox017.jpg

Bottom with Micro-USB OTG port.

ps7_unbox019.jpg

Top with 3.5mm Headphone Jack.

ps7_unbox020.jpg

Back Open.

ps7_unbox021.jpg

Back open with Battery removed.

ps7_unbox022.jpg

3500mAh Battey.

ps7_unbox023.jpg

First Boot.

ps7_unbox024.jpg

That amazing 7" 1920x1200 Screen!

ps7_unbox025.jpg

Lastly a sneek peek at the settings menu.

This phablet is a beast! I've been using it for 2 days and can't put it down!
Don't forget to come back in a few days for a full review.
We're going to put the Tronsmart PS7 through a a bunch of tests and find out just how long that battery will last in this 7" Phablet!

Last edited:

deadhp1

Dec 31, 2011
Tronsmart PS7 Review
Original Link:
http://www.armtvtech.com/armtvtechforum/viewtopic.php?f=565&t=74134
Note: The original link has bigger pics because it's not resized by photobucket.

Tronsmart PS7 Review!

Tronsmart has been on a roll lately with it's devices. I've reviewed several of them recently and have been impressed.
For the past week I have been reviewing the Tronsmart PS7 Octa-Core Phablet.
Tronsmart-PS71.jpg

Mod Edit: Commercial links removed.

title1.jpg

7" 1920x1200 LTPS Screen
2GB of Ram
16GB of Internal Storage
Wifi B/G
BT
Micro-SD card Slot
5MP Front Camera
13MP Rear Camera w/Flash
Micro-USB OTG port
Headphone Jack
Volume/Power Buttons
GPS
Android 4.2.2

What's in the Box:
ps7_unbox012.jpg

Tronsmart PS7
Headphones
Micro-USB cable
Power Adapter
User Manual
Screen Protector

First Impressions:

The Tronsmart PS7 is really massive for a phone, but when you consider it's intended purpose as a Phablet, then you'll see it's quite reasonable in size.
Thin bezels make the PS7 appear smaller than it actually is. If comparing to many 7" tablets out there you can see it's smaller.

Size Comparisons:
compare_2.jpg

Tronsmart PS7(7"), iNew i2000(5.7"), Zopo ZP980+(5"), iOcean X7(5")

compare_i2000.jpg

As you can see the PS7 is a bit larger than the i2000.

compare_x7.jpg

It dwarfs the X7.

compare_zp980.jpg

And the ZP980+

First Start:

home2.jpg

When I first booted the PS7 I was a little worried. The first boot took around 90 seconds. This is a little longer than I am used to.
A reboot had the PS7 running in about 18 seconds.

The first thing you notice about the PS7 is the screen. The 1920x1200 screen is HUGE and very BRIGHT!
It's so bright that I had to turn it down to minimum in order be comfortable in a darker room.
The details, colors, and viewing angles are quite good.
side1.jpg

side3.jpg

side2.jpg

side4.jpg

multitouch.jpg

No complaints about the touchscreen. It supports up to 10 simultaneous touches.

The PS7 has a good feel in my hands. It's a little too big for one handed use, but lends itself to two hand with no issues.
Often on a larger device with bezels this thin I'll have accidental taps from holding it. I didn't experience that with the PS7.
It's just the right size.

home.jpg

I popped a 64GB microsd card into the back of the PS7, connected to my wifi and was downloading apps within minutes.

settings_about.jpg

The About Phone Screen lists the following items:
Model number:
PS7
Android Version:
Kernel Version:
3.4.39 root@android #1 Tue Mar 18 15:25:55 CST 2014
Build Number:
2719_v92_gq3015_20140325
Baseband Version:
MOLY.WR8.W1315.MD.V21.P1, 2014/01/16 15:51

rootcheck.jpg

The Tronsmart PS7 comes without root access. I actually prefer it this way. Certain apps tend to be angry if root is detected.
It's good to have a choice.

Cellular Connectivity:
Using the PS7 as a phone is a pleasant experience. I didn't notice any odd echos, and the speakerphone works fine.
It is a little daunting to hold a 7" phablet next to my head, so I recommend a bt headset.
I wasn't expecting 3G to work since the PS7 only supports 850/2100Mhz for WCDMA, but I guess At&t has 3G on 850Mhz around me now.
So I was able to get H speeds.(No H+ though)

Bluetooth:
I tested the bluetooth with a car radio, headset, bt boombox, and keyboards. The PS7 did well in all tests.

Battery Life:
ps7_unbox022.jpg

The battery life on the PS7 is very decent. I found that with mixed use the 3500mAh battery lasted me the entire day.
I also found that on standby the PS7 just barely sips power. I managed to get over 4 days(wifi on, checking email every so often, minimal browsing)
For screen on time I was able to stream HD video to the PS7 for a little over 6 hours before I was down to 25% battery.
Personally I'd like to see phones or tablets with a double size battery option, but the 3500mAh seems to last long enough for me.

Wireless Display:
The settings menu has an option for Wireless Display, but there is no where to actually turn it on. I'm told that a new firmware update will fix this problem.
I'll be testing it out with my Tronsmart T1000 Ezcast dongle.

Media Playback:
I tested several apps to check how the Tronsmart PS7 plays media both locally and from the web.

XBMC:
xbmc_1.jpg

The first one I downloaded was an XBMC stable build. I was expecting it to launch quickly and was not let down. It took about 5 seconds.
I was able to playback many 1080p and 720p files without any issues.
The 7" screen works well with XBMC, and for the first time on a phone I can use the onscreen keyboard!
With 2GB of ram there is plenty left over after launching XBMC.
xbmc_2.jpg

MX Player:
The only real problem was with the audio codecs. I don't believe the MTK6592 has support for AC3 or DTS audio built in.
I had to choose software decoder for AC3 files and installed the DTS codecs for MX Player in order to get this to work.

Dice Player:
Most files played well in HW mode. The MTK6592 in the is more than addequate to playback 1080p in software decoding mode. DTS and AC3 were properly decoded and played back.

Netflix:
netflix.jpg

Videos played smooth in HD and subtitles/audio were in sync. At first it seemed that Netflix was having issues. It kept switching between high quality and low quality. A pause to let it buffer quickly ironed that out.

HBO Go:
hbo_go.jpg

Everything looked and sounded great.

Crackle:
crackle.jpg

Works like a charm.

GPS:
Left side indoors Right side outdoors wooded/cloudy area
gpstest1.jpg

I had no issues with GPS in the PS7. After turning it on I was locked onto 17 satellites within 12 seconds.(This was on a very clear day)
Accuracy was good within 4 feet. When compared to other MTK6592 phones, it seems like the PS7 has better than average GPS signal.

Compass:
The compass works well.
skymap_1.jpg

Google Sky Maps responded properly.

FM Radio:
fmradio_1.jpg

One of my favorite things about the MTK chipsets I've used is the FM Radio.
The inlcuded headphones act as an antenna for the FM Radio. It's possible to record music and talkshows directly onto the PS7.
The FM Radio app also identifies what song and station are currently playing.

Wifi
wifi_1.jpg

Wifi reception is very good. My routers we're on the other side of the house.

Front Camera:
The front camera claims to be 5MP, but is most likely 3MP interpolated to 5MP. Quality is still decent.

Rear Camera:
The rear camera is 13MP, and provides a decent image. The flash works and is timed right, but it could be a little brighter. It's not too great for low light shots.
Considering most 7" tablets I've seen have 5MP rear cameras with no flash, the PS7 does well in this category.

Pics taken with PS7 in shade/no flash:(more coming on next nice day)
IMG_20140507_190303.jpg

Full size image link: http://www.armtvtech.com/ps7_pics/IMG_20140507_190303.jpg

IMG_20140507_190317.jpg

Full size image link: http://www.armtvtech.com/ps7_pics/IMG_20140507_190317.jpg

IMG_20140507_190401.jpg

Full size image link: http://www.armtvtech.com/ps7_pics/IMG_20140507_190401.jpg

IMG_20140507_190412.jpg

Full size image link: http://www.armtvtech.com/ps7_pics/IMG_20140507_190412.jpg

Benchmarks:
I tested the PS7 with Antutu, Quadrant, Vellamo, GFXBench, 3DMark, and NenaMark2.

Antutu:
antutu_01_02.jpg

The PS7 scored 27482 on it's first try.
antutu_03_05.jpg

Quadrant Standard Edition:
quadrant_01_02.jpg

The PS7 managed an impressive 14429.
quadrant_03_05.jpg

Vellamo:
vellamo_1.jpg

The PS7 scored a 2002 in the HTML 5 test and 676 in the METAL test.

GFXBench:
gfxbench_01_03.jpg

3DMark:
3dmark_01_03.jpg

3dmark_04_05.jpg

NenaMark2:
nenamark.jpg

Conclusion:

The Tronsmart PS7 is a great phablet! This size is just about perfect. It's bigger than most phones, yet small enough to still fit in my jeans pocket.
Screen quality is a huge plus when browsing the web or watching videos. Performance is great even though it's running at 1920x1200 resolution.
I'll never have to carry my phone and my tablet with me. The PS7 replaces both!
My only real gripe with the PS7 is the lack of backlight for the navigation keys. This turns into a non-issue once you get used to the locations.

Last edited by a moderator:

deadhp1

Dec 31, 2011
Last edited:

mac231us

Oct 26, 2010
EDIT-

link for 4.4.2

http://www.pandawillforum.com/showthread.php?25336-ROM-Ulefone-U7-new-firmware-update-04-23-2014

and here

(same guide for 2 basically identical phones named/branded differently)

http://www.pandawillforum.com/showt...-4-2-for-Ulephone-U7-Orientphone-Mega-Pro-7-0

EDIT 6/19

reverted back to 4.2.2 (Ebay crashes on opening item information even on fresh installs/reinstalls on 4.4 and more importantly super-low call and ringer volume on 4.4…so back to 4.2..also 4.2 recovery reliable and stable,.plus has touch)

Last edited:

estuardo4

Jul 7, 2009
Screen

Hello,

I just have a question. I haven't read any review about these 7" phablets where they comment about the screen glass. No vendor mention that they have a Gorilla glass, but I want to know if the screen is easy to scratch, or if the included screen protector is any good.

Thank you for your answer.

mac231us

Oct 26, 2010
Hello,

I just have a question. I haven't read any review about these 7" phablets where they comment about the screen glass. No vendor mention that they have a Gorilla glass, but I want to know if the screen is easy to scratch, or if the included screen protector is any good.

Thank you for your answer.

Do not think this one (have the Orient Phone Mega Pro 7) has Gorilla glass..but no scratches despite some heavy and rough use...only Coolpad 9976A (not even Huawei media pad X1) claims Gorilla glass but you may want to check frequencies for calls etc. I think the protector is good but not smudge-resistant like olephobic screens..but then no worse (maybe better) than the Sony Xperia Ultra Z imo (smudge attractor)

Reactions: estuardo4

estuardo4

Jul 7, 2009
Thank you for your answer. I come from using the Sony Z Ultra. This PS7 model obviously is not as sexy as the Ultra, but the problem is that I broke the Ultra screen and replacing it cost me the same as buying the PS7 new. The screen of the Ultra is really fragile. I hope the one from the PS7 is stronger.

mac231us

Oct 26, 2010
Thank you for your answer. I come from using the Sony Z Ultra. This PS7 model obviously is not as sexy as the Ultra, but the problem is that I broke the Ultra screen and replacing it cost me the same as buying the PS7 new. The screen of the Ultra is really fragile. I hope the one from the PS7 is stronger.

Me too..just sold my Ultra Z today (not that this is the best looking phone but the screen brightness, reflectivity (less) and viewing angles superior to Ultra Z imo...the LTPS stuff is very good...just bought and sold for a significant loss the Sharp Aquos SH-06F (Snapdragon 801/32GB storage/4200maH) (latest model came out last month..awesome for holding as a 7 inch phone felt lighter than even the ultra Z and shorter! (they compressed even top bezel!)...amazing package..BUT..to me the IGZO panel was not as good as the LTPS on this one..also made by Sharp)..the SH-06F was otherwise perfect in every other aspect...and yes, one thing no updates unless on Docomo network (unless the Sharp website would post updates for downloading) though someone said you could change the APN to make it look it wants or is on a docomo APN (even though downloading done through wifi)

estuardo4

Jul 7, 2009
Me too..just sold my Ultra Z today (not that this is the best looking phone but the screen brightness, reflectivity (less) and viewing angles superior to Ultra Z imo...the LTPS stuff is very good...just bought and sold for a significant loss the Sharp Aquos SH-06F (Snapdragon 801/32GB storage/4200maH) (latest model came out last month..awesome for holding as a 7 inch phone felt lighter than even the ultra Z and shorter! (they compressed even top bezel!)...amazing package..BUT..to me the IGZO panel was not as good as the LTPS on this one..also made by Sharp)..the SH-06F was otherwise perfect in every other aspect...and yes, one thing no updates unless on Docomo network (unless the Sharp website would post updates for downloading) though someone said you could change the APN to make it look it wants or is on a docomo APN (even though downloading done through wifi)

I've never noticed the Sharp phone before. It looks really nice. But I bet it is a lot more expensive than the PS7. But that Sharp phone looks like the one to get. Is the screen really that bad, compared to the Sony Z Ultra? It is as tall as the Ultra, and a cm wider. How did you get a hold of it?

It is a shame I didn't join this discussion before.

mac231us

Oct 26, 2010
Apologize to OP if message may not be about Tronsmart completely though is in part

I've never noticed the Sharp phone before. It looks really nice. But I bet it is a lot more expensive than the PS7. But that Sharp phone looks like the one to get. Is the screen really that bad, compared to the Sony Z Ultra? It is as tall as the Ultra, and a cm wider. How did you get a hold of it?

It is a shame I didn't join this discussion before.

it is almost 4-5 more expensive. You may be interested in the device (links below) (reminds me of the K900 Lenovo I had)...dialer looks similar also Intel Clover Trail CPU (however I remember rooting was not easy-but the k900 community evolved significantly with folks bundling root in the rom itself..who knows it probably even has deodexed rom now-there is a thread on xda but am talking of k900 lenovo)

noticed dd2 ram (some of these devices have ddr3 so not sure how much of a difference it makes when paired with a diff processor such as the Intel one..EDIT: they claim it is LPDDR2 which they say is better than DDR3)

again check frequencies as just saying 2g/3g does not mean much if your frequencies are not covered

http://cngadget.info/2014/05/20/best-deal-teclast-p79hd-3g-7-inch-2gb16gb-gps-only-112/

http://tabletrepublic.com/forum/lat...-teclast-p79hd-3g-phablet-only-$112-5531.html

http://item.jd.com/1127503.html

in the meantime the Orient Phone/Ulefone/Tronsmart/Aonex etc phone folks have an improved version of the 7 inch phone (screen drivers etc)

http://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?spm=a220o.1000855.w5001-2928202607.11.Q4wgl1&id=38719104855

more on the Sharp..although tablet news is saying it is 680USD, docomo's own site which is the only original source for this phone as it is docomo-branded has it over 88000Yen which takes it to the mid 800s USD. And then you need to get it sim unlocked-SO..

it is much more expensive..like over 4 times (on Ebay..one would think it was a ridiculous price and it was..but me being gadget buff got it-anyway sold it swallowed my loss learnt my lesson)...the screen had color/brightness shifts (like a TN panel) when tilting the phone from side to side on both axes..this is irritating as it is on laptops where you would move around less but even more so on a handheld device. IGZO may have better color gamut etc but seems to have worse viewing angles compared to this LTPS stuff that is on this Orienphone/Ulefone/Tronsmart/Aonex also made by Sharp..think IGZO has lower power consumption--you can search and read up on these as I do not know much about these.. however it has broader frequencies, awesome form factor for a 7 inch, super lightweight, very fast, bigger battery (4200maH) and responsive ...great signal and reception, call quality-drawback-no software updates none if not on docomo..though someone said you could trick it into thinking as on docomo by putting in a docomo apn (atlhough the software update itself is over wifi)..rooting etc? too early as too new a product...however in the end, screen is ultimate factor and therefore it fallls short

Last edited:

estuardo4

Jul 7, 2009
it is almost 4-5 more expensive. You may be interested in the device (links below) (reminds me of the K900 Lenovo I had)...dialer looks similar also Intel Clover Trail CPU (however I remember rooting was not easy-but the k900 community evolved significantly with folks bundling root in the rom itself..who knows it probably even has deodexed rom now-there is a thread on xda but am talking of k900 lenovo)

noticed dd2 ram (some of these devices have ddr3 so not sure how much of a difference it makes when paired with a diff processor such as the Intel one..EDIT: they claim it is LPDDR2 which they say is better than DDR3)

again check frequencies as just saying 2g/3g does not mean much if your frequencies are not covered

http://cngadget.info/2014/05/20/best-deal-teclast-p79hd-3g-7-inch-2gb16gb-gps-only-112/

http://tabletrepublic.com/forum/lat...-teclast-p79hd-3g-phablet-only-$112-5531.html

http://item.jd.com/1127503.html

in the meantime the Orient Phone/Ulefone/Tronsmart/Aonex etc phone folks have an improved version of the 7 inch phone (screen drivers etc)

http://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?spm=a220o.1000855.w5001-2928202607.11.Q4wgl1&id=38719104855

more on the Sharp..although tablet news is saying it is 680USD, docomo's own site which is the only original source for this phone as it is docomo-branded has it over 88000Yen which takes it to the mid 800s USD. And then you need to get it sim unlocked-SO..

it is much more expensive..like over 4 times (on Ebay..one would think it was a ridiculous price and it was..but me being gadget buff got it-anyway sold it swallowed my loss learnt my lesson)...the screen had color/brightness shifts (like a TN panel) when tilting the phone from side to side on both axes..this is irritating as it is on laptops where you would move around less but even more so on a handheld device. IGZO may have better color gamut etc but seems to have worse viewing angles compared to this LTPS stuff that is on this Orienphone/Ulefone/Tronsmart/Aonex also made by Sharp..think IGZO has lower power consumption--you can search and read up on these as I do not know much about these.. however it has broader frequencies, awesome form factor for a 7 inch, super lightweight, very fast, bigger battery (4200maH) and responsive ...great signal and reception, call quality-drawback-no software updates none if not on docomo..though someone said you could trick it into thinking as on docomo by putting in a docomo apn (atlhough the software update itself is over wifi)..rooting etc? too early as too new a product...however in the end, screen is ultimate factor and therefore it fallls short

I didn't like the past Sony screens, because you had to use the device directly in front of your eyes. But the Xperia Ultra changed all that. If you say that the Sharp one has a bad screen, I believe you. And more if you were willing to sold it back at a loss.

And about the Teclast model, it seems that they only use the 2100 MHz band, so it is only 2G if I want to use it in my country :( I will try to find out. It is really strange that they don't have the 850 MHz band.

If you happen to know other model, please let me know. If there is none, then Tronsmart will be my next purchase.

Thank you for your help.

Vicolodo

Oct 10, 2011
Hello,
I bought the 'created N7' that is like the ulefone u7/tronsmart ps7/luftco a onex/orientphone mega pro 7 etc..., and is sold by the factory with 4.4.2 installed
I found a bug in this product

The bug is about the bad working of the s-view window.
I link here a video where is possible to see how it should work:

http://youtu.be/lk1P9jziw64

The problem is that with the created N7 it is not possible to answer
to the calls without opening the flip cover:
when the N7 receive a call, the s-view window is not sensitive, so it
is not possible to answer
The sview with cover closed is sensitive only for a few seconds after the cover has ben closed, specifically only before the sview goes in standby (black screen)...after the standby, wakening the phone by a call or simply pressing the power button (without opening the cover) the sview seems not sensitive

These are two videos that shows the problem:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG6D...e_gdata_player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-By6...e_gdata_player

This should be fixed, because is an important feature that is missing:
the phones like N7 of other brands (like ulefone u7/u69, luftco a-one
x, tronsmart ps7, orientphone mega pro 7) instead have a fully
functional s-view window

I already informed some created online sellers (kent wang, peter
yang... ) about this bug,
they told me that they will contact the engineer... but i have
not answer yet...i think they are not able to solve this problemi...
A seller told me that they send the leather case for free,
Its a gift , so i cannot ask them to fix this problem ��

Can someone help me to fix this problem?
I tried installing firmware of other device (luftco a onex 4.4.2)
But nothing has changed ...(and by the way i found that the luftco firmware
does not fit with my n7...the camera does not work with it)

Any hint?
Any suggestion?

I did some tests i found that actually the sview is sensitive also after the standby, but not enought to feel the touches through the screen...

in the settings there is an option 'increase touch sensitivity to allow the control through sview screen',
seems that this high sensitivity status is not reactivated if the cover is not opened after the phone goes to standby...

How can i fix this problem? perhaps some fix on touch drivers is needed?

Please help me!
Thank you!

mac231us

Oct 26, 2010
i have used the s-view cover briefly but did not have issues (like i could take the call through the window)..just me but I reverted back to 4.2.2 because of the incall volume and higher ringer volumes (not found a way to fix that in 4.4.2..recall even Ultra Z had that issue with initial 4.4.2 versions before they fixed it and then Ebay app crashes no matter what I try (when trying to click on any item)...low in call volume was a big negative for me...added plus have cwm touch in 4.2.2 versus regular cwm but that is not a big deal (sure someone has a working twrp too which would be great)

btw successfully deodexed the 4.4.2 (even though not using it) using the tool here

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2713329

however keep getting bootloop on deodexed 4.2.2

EDIT

also successfully applied Xposed mods (various like getting many more toggles, volume rocker wake etc..Gravity xposed is best, Xutilities, Xuimod and Xblast are others) on both the 4.2.2. and 4.4.2

also can get advanced reboot, screenshot using home hard button, slide status bar for screen brightness adjustment etc

Last edited:

estuardo4

Jul 7, 2009
I didn't like the past Sony screens, because you had to use the device directly in front of your eyes. But the Xperia Ultra changed all that. If you say that the Sharp one has a bad screen, I believe you. And more if you were willing to sold it back at a loss.

And about the Teclast model, it seems that they only use the 2100 MHz band, so it is only 2G if I want to use it in my country :( I will try to find out. It is really strange that they don't have the 850 MHz band.

If you happen to know other model, please let me know. If there is none, then Tronsmart will be my next purchase.

Thank you for your help.

I received an email from Teclast. They only support the 2100 MHz band on their phone.

Now the decision will be if I want to have 2G speeds (I'm almost always on reach of many public WiFi signals) and a $150 phablet with metal body, or a 3G and 0.5 cm shorter, $250 one with better camera and a plastic body.

If you happen to know another option, I'll be very greatful. The Sharp one is out of my league right now.

Thank you again.

mac231us

Oct 26, 2010
Ok back to kitkat now using this version of the rom for (as needrom links says) Ulefone U69/U7, Carpad T69, Tronsmart PS7, Yuandao M87, OrientPhone Mega Pro 7.0, Created N7 (but using for OrientPhone)

https://mega.co.nz/#!w8tSEB7A!y15nkEH-q5f-4b8yXeOZWxQRuwMunlWfZ9nwsksLW0A

from

http://www.needrom.com/mobile/ulefo...ndao-m87-orientphone-mega-pro-7-0-created-n7/

The supposedly newer 5/27 rom (on Ulefone site link
http://www.ule-fone.com/downloads/ulefone-7-0-inch/)
and then the 6/05 rom from link

http://www.pandawillforum.com/showt...-4-2-for-Ulephone-U7-Orientphone-Mega-Pro-7-0

have issues (5/27 could not root no matter what-has while and orange Welcome boot animation just so you know) and the 6/05 Lutfco Onex rom (again same device) from link below has no MTK engineering mode (which I used to successfully tweak in call/ringer/notification volume levels) (the 6/05 rom has the Onex Black white boot animation)

you can use Mobile uncle tools (from playstore) or MTK Engineering Mode app per this

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2248396

pr just type this in dialer

*#*#3646633#*#* to get into MTK engineering mode (no app needed)

Need to Headset and Headset Loudspeaker and Mic within each of those (for each level like level0 level1 etc..think these are the volume steps as called out in build prop)

example levels shown here (different phone but same applies)

http://flaresroms.blogspot.com/2014/05/rom422un-official-mere-by-john-reniel.html

non touch recovery cwm as got using MKTdroid tools not fancy but does the job and is fast..the CWm touch recovery takes forever

Last edited:

mac231us

Oct 26, 2010
4.4.2 with working camera+root (SuperSU)+access to MKT Enng tools

vicolodo..think the camera work in JB rom not in 4.4 (in the created kk, the camera only does the front camera not the rear) wondering if it is a gallery apk, camera.bin, and camera lib files issue -will let you know if I have any success (not sure if the 6/5 luftco kk rom has fixed this issue..but then no engineering mtk mode on that and need it to boost pathetically low ringer and in-call earpiece default volumes)

EDIT

(as everything on xda. this is what worked for me do your own checks and due diligence..nothing guaranteed)

so took this rom from here

http://www.ule-fone.com/downloads/ulefone-7-0-inch/

file folder name is 20140527_e2719v92_gq3015

but could not root it (even using vroot)

so from an earlier 4.4.2 rom (link below)

http://www.needrom.com/mobile/ulefo...ndao-m87-orientphone-mega-pro-7-0-created-n7/

which was rootable via vroot (but camera rear did not work), had created cwm recovery image file using mktdroid tools

folder name for this rom is

20140526_e2719v92_gq3015_N7

mktdroid tools guide for cwm is here

http://www.chinaphonearena.com/foru...-CWM-MTK6595-MTK6582-MTK6589-MTK6589T-MTK6577

so installed the rom in first link (5/27)

then went back to flashing mode (no battery etc)

and in the folder of the rom (first link) renamed recovery.img as something else
and put instead the recovery cwm image file created for the needrom rom as the recovery image file.

when flashing unchecked everything except recovery..so the scatter took the new recovery file

then booted to cwm and flashed cwm su update zip file (can find many places)

booted after flashing..no issues SU was there and so was root

camera works on this 5/27 rom AND you have access to mtk engineering tools/mode

only thing google play etc would not connect to network so just went to each google app (like play services, partner setup etc and cleared all data and cache)

on rebooting everything worked! (root, google play etc, mtk enng mode, cwm, camera)

old cwm attached..this will prompt you to update su later

Attachments

• CWM-SuperSU-v0.94.zip
    658.9 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok noted. I know why camera is not work. Because I purposely didn't port so.camera.custom.lib etc.
    So if I port lib files like previous rom it will be delete 1080p recording feature. But I don't know why wifi and 3G got affected functions.

Anyway I can't find L style rom for 12830 could you tell me the url? Thx.
    L Style Rom
    https://yadi.sk/d/EqYjf8ixfh4Ay
    Lewa
    https://yadi.sk/d/2eKkZCNhfi9KU
    MIUI
    https://yadi.sk/d/waofV06lfk2qj
    This is the link for the nibiru M1 Forum:
    http://bbs.nbru.cn/forum-59-1.html

Link for the MIUI6 rom:
    http://pan.baidu.com/s/1jG9VWKA
    Password: ucpb

The procedure i used to flash without losing imeis was simple.
    Flash Nibiru ROM posted by sampei few pages back, through SPFlashtools, UPGRADE Firmware option.
    After that, created CWM recovery using MTKDroid tools, using boot.img from this rom
    Flashed recovery only to phone through SPFlashtools
    Previuously i downloaded MIUI rom to my sdcard
    booted into recovery
    factory data reset
    install miui zip
    factory data reset
    reboot
    thats all, imeis working
    after checking that all is fine, reboot into recovery again to flash gapps 4.4 and Supersu-v2.01 zip to root

the original comes with 420 dpi, i changed to 360, not too big.
    BEWARE as this rom uses phone storage as main sdcard0, backup your phone storage before flashing.

There are no new phones wih this form factor (7"), I am also waiting for Ulefone (mine is ulefone u69) to upgrade this model with 64bits processor, as they are lately making new phones with good specs.

Regards

---------- Post added at 04:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:59 PM ----------

How did you flashed miui? With cwm? I want also miui but once i've flashed and lost imeis. I dont have PC atm so i cant flash anyting with sp flashtool

MIUI6 is flashed through cwm. so you can try flashing it with your current cwm recovery, but first make backup of your current rom, i don't know if you lose your imeis in this way.

EDIT: i forgot, this rom has only 1GB for apps, so i flashed the 8GB zip posted by Sampei(thanks) few posts back, then:
    -make backup with cwm
    -flash 8gb zip (it it reboots phone, go again into recovery)
    -factory data reset
    -recover previuos backup
    -reboot and check your storage, it shoul be 8GB por apps.
    Tronsmart PS7 Review
    Original Link:
    http://www.armtvtech.com/armtvtechforum/viewtopic.php?f=565&t=74134
    Note: The original link has bigger pics because it's not resized by photobucket.

Tronsmart PS7 Review!

Tronsmart has been on a roll lately with it's devices. I've reviewed several of them recently and have been impressed.
    For the past week I have been reviewing the Tronsmart PS7 Octa-Core Phablet.
    Tronsmart-PS71.jpg

Mod Edit: Commercial links removed.

title1.jpg

7" 1920x1200 LTPS Screen
    2GB of Ram
    16GB of Internal Storage
    Wifi B/G
    BT
    Micro-SD card Slot
    5MP Front Camera
    13MP Rear Camera w/Flash
    Micro-USB OTG port
    Headphone Jack
    Volume/Power Buttons
    GPS
    Android 4.2.2

What's in the Box:
    ps7_unbox012.jpg

Tronsmart PS7
    Headphones
    Micro-USB cable
    Power Adapter
    User Manual
    Screen Protector

First Impressions:

The Tronsmart PS7 is really massive for a phone, but when you consider it's intended purpose as a Phablet, then you'll see it's quite reasonable in size.
    Thin bezels make the PS7 appear smaller than it actually is. If comparing to many 7" tablets out there you can see it's smaller.

Size Comparisons:
    compare_2.jpg

Tronsmart PS7(7"), iNew i2000(5.7"), Zopo ZP980+(5"), iOcean X7(5")

compare_i2000.jpg

As you can see the PS7 is a bit larger than the i2000.

compare_x7.jpg

It dwarfs the X7.

compare_zp980.jpg

And the ZP980+

First Start:

home2.jpg

When I first booted the PS7 I was a little worried. The first boot took around 90 seconds. This is a little longer than I am used to.
    A reboot had the PS7 running in about 18 seconds.

The first thing you notice about the PS7 is the screen. The 1920x1200 screen is HUGE and very BRIGHT!
    It's so bright that I had to turn it down to minimum in order be comfortable in a darker room.
    The details, colors, and viewing angles are quite good.
    side1.jpg

side3.jpg

side2.jpg

side4.jpg

multitouch.jpg

No complaints about the touchscreen. It supports up to 10 simultaneous touches.

The PS7 has a good feel in my hands. It's a little too big for one handed use, but lends itself to two hand with no issues.
    Often on a larger device with bezels this thin I'll have accidental taps from holding it. I didn't experience that with the PS7.
    It's just the right size.

home.jpg

I popped a 64GB microsd card into the back of the PS7, connected to my wifi and was downloading apps within minutes.

settings_about.jpg

The About Phone Screen lists the following items:
    Model number:
    PS7
    Android Version:
    Kernel Version:
    3.4.39 root@android #1 Tue Mar 18 15:25:55 CST 2014
    Build Number:
    2719_v92_gq3015_20140325
    Baseband Version:
    MOLY.WR8.W1315.MD.V21.P1, 2014/01/16 15:51

rootcheck.jpg

The Tronsmart PS7 comes without root access. I actually prefer it this way. Certain apps tend to be angry if root is detected.
    It's good to have a choice.

Cellular Connectivity:
    Using the PS7 as a phone is a pleasant experience. I didn't notice any odd echos, and the speakerphone works fine.
    It is a little daunting to hold a 7" phablet next to my head, so I recommend a bt headset.
    I wasn't expecting 3G to work since the PS7 only supports 850/2100Mhz for WCDMA, but I guess At&t has 3G on 850Mhz around me now.
    So I was able to get H speeds.(No H+ though)

Bluetooth:
    I tested the bluetooth with a car radio, headset, bt boombox, and keyboards. The PS7 did well in all tests.

Battery Life:
    ps7_unbox022.jpg

The battery life on the PS7 is very decent. I found that with mixed use the 3500mAh battery lasted me the entire day.
    I also found that on standby the PS7 just barely sips power. I managed to get over 4 days(wifi on, checking email every so often, minimal browsing)
    For screen on time I was able to stream HD video to the PS7 for a little over 6 hours before I was down to 25% battery.
    Personally I'd like to see phones or tablets with a double size battery option, but the 3500mAh seems to last long enough for me.

Wireless Display:
    The settings menu has an option for Wireless Display, but there is no where to actually turn it on. I'm told that a new firmware update will fix this problem.
    I'll be testing it out with my Tronsmart T1000 Ezcast dongle.

Media Playback:
    I tested several apps to check how the Tronsmart PS7 plays media both locally and from the web.

XBMC:
    xbmc_1.jpg

The first one I downloaded was an XBMC stable build. I was expecting it to launch quickly and was not let down. It took about 5 seconds.
    I was able to playback many 1080p and 720p files without any issues.
    The 7" screen works well with XBMC, and for the first time on a phone I can use the onscreen keyboard!
    With 2GB of ram there is plenty left over after launching XBMC.
    xbmc_2.jpg

MX Player:
    The only real problem was with the audio codecs. I don't believe the MTK6592 has support for AC3 or DTS audio built in.
    I had to choose software decoder for AC3 files and installed the DTS codecs for MX Player in order to get this to work.

Dice Player:
    Most files played well in HW mode. The MTK6592 in the is more than addequate to playback 1080p in software decoding mode. DTS and AC3 were properly decoded and played back.

Netflix:
    netflix.jpg

Videos played smooth in HD and subtitles/audio were in sync. At first it seemed that Netflix was having issues. It kept switching between high quality and low quality. A pause to let it buffer quickly ironed that out.

HBO Go:
    hbo_go.jpg

Everything looked and sounded great.

Crackle:
    crackle.jpg

Works like a charm.

GPS:
    Left side indoors Right side outdoors wooded/cloudy area
    gpstest1.jpg

I had no issues with GPS in the PS7. After turning it on I was locked onto 17 satellites within 12 seconds.(This was on a very clear day)
    Accuracy was good within 4 feet. When compared to other MTK6592 phones, it seems like the PS7 has better than average GPS signal.

Compass:
    The compass works well.
    skymap_1.jpg

Google Sky Maps responded properly.

FM Radio:
    fmradio_1.jpg

One of my favorite things about the MTK chipsets I've used is the FM Radio.
    The inlcuded headphones act as an antenna for the FM Radio. It's possible to record music and talkshows directly onto the PS7.
    The FM Radio app also identifies what song and station are currently playing.

Wifi
    wifi_1.jpg

Wifi reception is very good. My routers we're on the other side of the house.

Front Camera:
    The front camera claims to be 5MP, but is most likely 3MP interpolated to 5MP. Quality is still decent.

Rear Camera:
    The rear camera is 13MP, and provides a decent image. The flash works and is timed right, but it could be a little brighter. It's not too great for low light shots.
    Considering most 7" tablets I've seen have 5MP rear cameras with no flash, the PS7 does well in this category.

Pics taken with PS7 in shade/no flash:(more coming on next nice day)
    IMG_20140507_190303.jpg

Full size image link: http://www.armtvtech.com/ps7_pics/IMG_20140507_190303.jpg

IMG_20140507_190317.jpg

Full size image link: http://www.armtvtech.com/ps7_pics/IMG_20140507_190317.jpg

IMG_20140507_190401.jpg

Full size image link: http://www.armtvtech.com/ps7_pics/IMG_20140507_190401.jpg

IMG_20140507_190412.jpg

Full size image link: http://www.armtvtech.com/ps7_pics/IMG_20140507_190412.jpg

Benchmarks:
    I tested the PS7 with Antutu, Quadrant, Vellamo, GFXBench, 3DMark, and NenaMark2.

Antutu:
    antutu_01_02.jpg

The PS7 scored 27482 on it's first try.
    antutu_03_05.jpg

Quadrant Standard Edition:
    quadrant_01_02.jpg

The PS7 managed an impressive 14429.
    quadrant_03_05.jpg

Vellamo:
    vellamo_1.jpg

The PS7 scored a 2002 in the HTML 5 test and 676 in the METAL test.

GFXBench:
    gfxbench_01_03.jpg

3DMark:
    3dmark_01_03.jpg

3dmark_04_05.jpg

NenaMark2:
    nenamark.jpg

Conclusion:

The Tronsmart PS7 is a great phablet! This size is just about perfect. It's bigger than most phones, yet small enough to still fit in my jeans pocket.
    Screen quality is a huge plus when browsing the web or watching videos. Performance is great even though it's running at 1920x1200 resolution.
    I'll never have to carry my phone and my tablet with me. The PS7 replaces both!
    My only real gripe with the PS7 is the lack of backlight for the navigation keys. This turns into a non-issue once you get used to the locations.
    Stock Firmware:
    coming soon

How to Root the Tronsmart PS7!

Original Link:
    http://www.armtvtech.com/armtvtechforum/viewtopic.php?f=565&t=74135

How to Root the Tronsmart PS7!

It's super easy to get a basic root on the Tronsmart PS7.

Steps:
    1)On the PS7 go into Settings-->Security--->Enable Unknown Sources
    screen_frama_set1.jpg

screen_frama_set2.jpg

2)Download and install Framaroot-1.9.1 from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2130276

3)Launch Framaroot, Select the "Barahir" option and reboot
    screen_frama1.jpg

screen_frama2.jpg

4)Enjoy your rooted PS7
    screen_frama3.jpg
    i was thinking of using somthing like recuva, and try to recover from internal memory from your desktop computer, but i don't know if it could be possible because of different layouts of partitions..
    Search on xda for "Recover deleted files from Internal Memory", there are some threads about it. I Hope it helps.

I finally was able to restore all my missing apps. Fortunately I have several apps synced with my (and theirs) cloud accounts.

But I have a question: do you happen to know if I need the sd fix for Kit Kat now? I have three camera apps and I want that all store the pics on my sd card. So far, all three are storing the pics just fine, but I don't want to have a later surprise.

I don't think it is a placebo effect the scrolling. It is smoother than 4.4.2 (and 4.2.2).

I'm liking this ROM, but I miss some Xposed framework mods, but it is not a ROM's fault. It is because I'm using ART runtime right now. Do you happen to know any app that allows to mod the framework and can be used on ART?

Also, just a side note for anybody wishing to flash a ROM using SP Flashtools: In order for the flash to start, you need to connect your phone pushing VOL+ and Power at the same time. And if you don't want to lose the contents of your internal storage, unmark both EBR1 and EBR2 on the list of files to flash.