Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,779,159 Members 45,741 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] 'unbranding' a 5830x

Tip us?

zatarra86
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] 'unbranding' a 5830x

Hi, I have a newbie question for you:

I have an unlocked Telcel (Mexican network) galaxy ace; on the 'About Phone' screen it says 5830M. I also have a Telstra (Australian network) version, a 5830T. Is there anyway to 'un-telcel' or 'un-telstra' these galaxy aces? Perhaps by flashing a stock ROM?

I'm asking because I'm having a problem with the Telcel ace. I've tried a couple of Australian SIM cards (vodafone and Telstra) and even though I can make calls etc., for some reason the phone can't access the contacts on the SIM card. Is this because it's a Mexican phone, or is there just something wrong with this particular unit?

mahithm
Old
Thanks Meter 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by zatarra86 View Post

I have an unlocked Telcel (Mexican network) galaxy ace; on the 'About Phone' screen it says 5830M. I also have a Telstra (Australian network) version, a 5830T. Is there anyway to 'un-telcel' or 'un-telstra' these galaxy aces? Perhaps by flashing a stock ROM?

I'm asking because I'm having a problem with the Telcel ace. I've tried a couple of Australian SIM cards (vodafone and Telstra) and even though I can make calls etc., for some reason the phone can't access the contacts on the SIM card. Is this because it's a Mexican phone, or is there just something wrong with this particular unit?
I'm not sure about a way to 'un-telcel' or 'un-telstra' your Galaxy Ace. But I might have a solution to your SIM contacts not being accessible. The entire contact is in your SIM card but for them to be displayed into your phone, you just have to import them. Go to Contacts>Contact Settings>Import from SIM card. That's it. It will import all the SIM contacts to your phone. You will be now able to see all your contacts. Hope I Helped
HIT THE THANKS BUTTON IF I HELPED YOU

zatarra86
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks, but when I click 'Import/Export' I see a blank page. And it shouldn't be necessary. I didn't have to import anything with other phones.

mahithm
Old
Thanks Meter 354
Quote:
Thanks, but when I click 'Import/Export' I see a blank page. And it shouldn't be necessary. I didn't have to import anything with other phones.
I don't know why clicking Import/Export takes you to a blank page. Usually there should be an option "Import from SIM Card" which could be used to solve this situation. You can also use Google Contacts to sync you contacts to your phone. Sadly Ace can't see SIM contacts directly. You could also try re-flashing the stock rom. Maybe it will solve the branding problem. Do post the result. Hope I Helped

Envy-X
Old
Thanks Meter 806
Quote:

S5830M is a variant of the S5830i. So flash a Rom from the other section.

zatarra86
Old
(Last edited by zatarra86; 29th April 2014 at 04:07 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahithm View Post
I don't know why clicking Import/Export takes you to a blank page. Usually there should be an option "Import from SIM Card" which could be used to solve this situation. You can also use Google Contacts to sync you contacts to your phone. Sadly Ace can't see SIM contacts directly. You could also try re-flashing the stock rom. Maybe it will solve the branding problem. Do post the result. Hope I Helped
I meant that after I select 'Import from SIM card' and then choose to save contact to phone or my google account, I get a search field above a screen that's blank except an icon and the words, 'no contacts.'

I've used several Aces, and this wasn't an issue with any other unit. No importing was necessary. So yes, the ACE does indeed 'see SIM contacts directly.'

mahithm
Old
Thanks Meter 354
Quote:
I meant that after I select 'Import from SIM card' and then choose to save contact to phone or my google account, I get a search field above a screen that's blank except an icon and the words, 'no contacts.'

I've used several Aces, and this wasn't an issue with any other unit. No importing was necessary. So yes, the ACE does indeed 'see SIM contacts directly.'
Sadly I never got Ace to see my SIM contacts directly. But I always use Google Contact sync which solves my problem. You can try flashing an S5830i rom as user envy suggested

Viper The Ripper
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 762
Quote:

B]FIRST OF ALL WRONG SECTION[/B]

You must read rules and then post in the correct section...

Next time use the Q&A Thread, thank you for understanding it