Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,495 Members 37,814 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Holding back on to 4.3... Worth it?

Tip us?

alesa1988
Old
(Last edited by alesa1988; 5th May 2014 at 10:52 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Lightbulb [Q] Holding back on to 4.3... Worth it?

Hello all.

I've been holding on to JellyBean 4.3 (XXUEMKF version) for a while, as I have heard of countless things going badly on KitKat, as well as a lot of functions going away... However I really would like to experience immersive view and the speed optimizations. I'm assuming that since it's been a while the firmwares should start to be stable enough for me to try out.

I've searched the forums and Google for drawback on the upgrade however this was rather fruitless...
  • I do NOT use app2SD so I do not care for the loss of this functionality.
  • I rely on Xposed framework and it's modules for a few customizations, so if this or it's modules don't work.. KK is a definate no no.
  • I would appreciate if it could be rooted.
  • I have also noticed many apps on the PlayStore have a KitKat version.... Does this mean that I will have to find alternatives to most of my apps? Are the binaries that different from 4.3?

Should I upgrade or hold back for a bit longer? I'm assuming that a knox-safe way of rooting will never happen, but if there is the slightest of chances of it happening I may hold back for a bit...

Lennyz1988
Old
Thanks Meter 224
Just upgrade. There is really no point in delaying it imo. I believe you can root without tripping knox, but you have to browse the forum a bit, i've seen threads about it.
Current:

Samsung Galaxy S 4 I9505 | WanamLite v3.0

Retired:

Samsung Galaxy S II I9100 : AOKP 4.2.1
HTC Touch Pro2 | ROM: Valkyrie 6.5.23115TR2.5
HTC HD2 | DarkStone1337 [FroyoStone Sense - V3.2]
HTC Desire : Oxygen v2.1.3
The Following User Says Thank You to Lennyz1988 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

xarfrost
Old
Thanks Meter 34
Upgrade to go! Its not much different from 4.3.. Im rocking 4.4.2 and I dont experience bugs/force closes all the time, despite rumors and complaints of people (most likely people with heavy tweaking/theming to their phone). To be fair, i only get random errors like once a week, nothing major. Im using Goldeneye rom. The dev is good and friendly. Now my phone is bug-less and fast! You should try it.

Best of luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to xarfrost For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

alesa1988
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Thank you so much for your feedback guys

xarfrost: I do actually have a lot of customization with XPosed...
  1. AllowLongSMS 1.0
  2. App Settings 1.8
  3. BootManager 2.0.5
  4. Burnt Toast 1.1
  5. Dimensions Editor 1.1
  6. Disable Location Consent 1.2
  7. Greenify 2.2
  8. Network Speed Indicator 0.9
  9. Receivied SMSes' Sent Times in Details 1.1
  10. Statusbar Scroll to Top 1.1
  11. Swap Volume Keys 0.5
  12. Wanam Xposed 2.9.4
  13. YouTube AdAway 1.8.1

Not to mention BusyBox...

I've also heard Adobe Flash no longer works unless I use Dolphin... And I'm far too loyal to Firefox.

Do you still think it's safe?