Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,310 Members 45,563 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Unable to mount cache, system, data

Tip us?

ericmerl
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thumbs down [Q] Unable to mount cache, system, data

Hey guys, I seem to have soft-bricked my AT&T S3.

I was running Paranoidkangdroid 2.32 (based on CM10.1, 4.2.2), but started having some stability issues. Thinking it was time to start fresh with a new ROM, I downloaded SlimKat 4.1 and tried to install it following these instructions.

Upon rebooting, my phone hit the SlimKat loading screen and never finished booting. I rebooted to recovery, and saw errors saying it was unable to mount /cache, /data, and /system. I still have access to recovery and download, and have tried flashing and reflashing a variety of different ROMs, both custom and stock, but haven't been able to get past those errors.

When flashing from recovery, I get errors saying the partitions aren't able to be mounted. I can flash ROMs from Odin, and they do seem to be installing (no errors in Odin, and the Current Binary setting does change depending on whether it is a stock or custom ROM).

Best I can tell, my partitions are screwed up. Any advice on what I did wrong and the best way to proceed? If the partitions are screwed up, is there a way I can rebuild the partitions through the shell?

Larry2999
Old
Thanks Meter 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmerl View Post
Hey guys, I seem to have soft-bricked my AT&T S3.

I was running Paranoidkangdroid 2.32 (based on CM10.1, 4.2.2), but started having some stability issues. Thinking it was time to start fresh with a new ROM, I downloaded SlimKat 4.1 and tried to install it following these instructions.

Upon rebooting, my phone hit the SlimKat loading screen and never finished booting. I rebooted to recovery, and saw errors saying it was unable to mount /cache, /data, and /system. I still have access to recovery and download, and have tried flashing and reflashing a variety of different ROMs, both custom and stock, but haven't been able to get past those errors.

When flashing from recovery, I get errors saying the partitions aren't able to be mounted. I can flash ROMs from Odin, and they do seem to be installing (no errors in Odin, and the Current Binary setting does change depending on whether it is a stock or custom ROM).

Best I can tell, my partitions are screwed up. Any advice on what I did wrong and the best way to proceed? If the partitions are screwed up, is there a way I can rebuild the partitions through the shell?
What stock ROM did you try to flash via Odin and did you get the <PASS> message? If you did, then it would seem the flash was successful. Can you try booting into recovery and doing a hard wipe/reset? Unless your phone has hardware issues, flashing a complete stock image should update all partitions.
Finally, if you were already on Android 4.3, you may try doing a stock restore using the instructions in the following thread ...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2658486

ericmerl
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Stock ROMs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry2999 View Post
What stock ROM did you try to flash via Odin and did you get the <PASS> message? If you did, then it would seem the flash was successful. Can you try booting into recovery and doing a hard wipe/reset? Unless your phone has hardware issues, flashing a complete stock image should update all partitions.
Finally, if you were already on Android 4.3, you may try doing a stock restore using the instructions in the following thread ...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2658486
The ROM I had previously installed was based on 4.2.2, so I'm not sure the instructions in that thread will apply...

I have tried installing the UCDLK3 ROM, as well as a couple of custom ROMs. I'm about to try another stock ROM (UCALEM), and will report back with the results in a few minutes.

ericmerl
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
The ROM I had previously installed was based on 4.2.2, so I'm not sure the instructions in that thread will apply...

I have tried installing the UCDLK3 ROM, as well as a couple of custom ROMs. I'm about to try another stock ROM (UCALEM), and will report back with the results in a few minutes.
Sad times.

I just tried installing the UCALEM stock ROM with Odin. Everything seemed to go well, and it finished with no errors and a "PASS!" result.

When my phone rebooted, a screen briefly popped up with red text. It didn't stay up long, but the errors I saw were similar to what I had seen before (unable to mount, etc.). The background was the red exclamation with the android robot lying down. The phone quickly rebooted, and sat with a black screen. When I pulled the battery out and powered it back on, it tried to enter recovery mode on its own, but only flashed the Samsung Galaxy S3 screen and remained on a black screen.

I can still access download mode, and the Current Binary now reads "Samsung Official." My phone did this same thing earlier when I flashed another stock ROM, and I was able to get back to recovery mode by flashing a fresh instance of CWM.

ericmerl
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Sad times.

I just tried installing the UCALEM stock ROM with Odin. Everything seemed to go well, and it finished with no errors and a "PASS!" result.

When my phone rebooted, a screen briefly popped up with red text. It didn't stay up long, but the errors I saw were similar to what I had seen before (unable to mount, etc.). The background was the red exclamation with the android robot lying down. The phone quickly rebooted, and sat with a black screen. When I pulled the battery out and powered it back on, it tried to enter recovery mode on its own, but only flashed the Samsung Galaxy S3 screen and remained on a black screen.

I can still access download mode, and the Current Binary now reads "Samsung Official." My phone did this same thing earlier when I flashed another stock ROM, and I was able to get back to recovery mode by flashing a fresh instance of CWM.
To follow up again, I was able to re-flash TWRP using Odin. Once that was done, the phone no longer tried to boot straight to recovery. I was able to three finger into TWRP, though it took a super long time for it to boot.

Here's the console log taken from TWRP once it boots:

Code:
E:Could not mount /data and unable to find crypto folder.
E:Unable to mount '/data'
E:Unable to recreate /data/media folder.
Updating partition details...
E:Unable to mount '/system'
E:Unable to mount '/cache'
E:Unable to mount internal storage.
E:Unable to mount /data/media during GUI startup.
Full SELinux support is present.
Running boot script...

Finished running boot script.
E:Unable to mount /data/media/TWRP/.twrps when trying to read settings file