Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,048 Members 46,351 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Faulty battery readings - B5330

Tip us?

darkdude18
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] Faulty battery readings - B5330

I'm experiencing some weird battery issues on my Samsung B5330 (Galaxy Chat). Since there is no GC forum and it's probably a software issue I'll wirte here.

The phone is full stock, no root nor any modifications were made, 4.1.2.

At the beginning of my adventure with this phone I experienced a problem with Media process eating the battery. That was probably caused by one of videos, faulty mp3 file or Gallery system application. Once or twice a day 46% of battery was eaten as shown in battery stats. However from time to time the phone just died and battery stats had just a blank space from the last reading The phone got hot because of CPU usage. As it also happened at night and affected an alarm clock and had to be dealt with.

I turned off Gallery, Media and Media history services (in App properities) and replaced them with independent applications. First problem was solved and the second one become clearly visible.

It looks like this:

There is nothing indicating extensive battery use:

The battery reading goes from 80% to 0% in 80 seconds and the phone dies. Nothing overheats, nothing hangs. After 1 - 2 days if 60% is shown and I restart it, it goes to 0% instantly.

It's either faulty battery or software bug :/

Any ideas what can I do with it apart from buying a new battery?

Razer69
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default battery problem

This looks like a hardware problem (with the battery), my apenion is that it coudn't be a problem with some faulthy mp3, music or video player or so, it could be a problem with your background working apps / make sure you clear all of them and make sure you turn off all wify, 3g, edge and so in your phone settings, and see how much time it works then.

darkdude18
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
The com.android.media process as a source of the first problem is confirmed, as it is widely described on the net and it was noted in battery stats.

The problem is what is shown on the photo. I'll just buy a new battery since it's not expansive. I thought it may be a software problem as it looked like the indicator was not properly calibrated or refreshed.

The longest the phone was alive after solving the Media problem was over 3 days with everything on. It went down to 20% and then died.
This also suggests the battery...

darkdude18
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
OK, problem solved. Good ole' wipe did the trick.

The problem was purely of software origin as voltage of charged battery was marked as 100% but voltage of an empty battery was marked as 50%. So it reached 50% and died. After the wipe it goes down normally to 0%.