Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,814,032 Members 44,258 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Hotspot and unlimited data

Tip us?

dlscott1111
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 57
Default Hotspot and unlimited data

Been reading exhaustively about Verizon unlimited data plans and have a few questions for the smart people here.

1. Is it true that vzn cannot block us from free tethering via a custom rom?

2. Is there a way for me to unknowingly trip some kind of alarm by accessing the hotspot?

3. If tethering is NOT hacked in a rom, what happens? Will i get a signup page or will the hotpot just not work?

Any thoughts appreciated. I'm weary about trying to figure this out. Thanks in advance!

jova33
Old
Thanks Meter 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlscott1111 View Post
Been reading exhaustively about Verizon unlimited data plans and have a few questions for the smart people here.

2. Is there a way for me to unknowingly trip some kind of alarm by accessing the hotspot?

3. If tethering is NOT hacked in a rom, what happens? Will i get a signup page or will the hotpot just not work?

Any thoughts appreciated. I'm weary about trying to figure this out. Thanks in advance!
I've tethered through my S4 gigabytes of days. Others who run their home's internet and entertainment through their phone have racked up hundreds of gigabytes with no word from VZW. I've never been on stock, so I don't know how to tether on a ROM that doesn't have it built in. Just don't use the VZW app for it.

Sent from your mom's smartphone
The Following User Says Thank You to jova33 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bsbuggs
Old
Thanks Meter 31
Quote:

A) true, they cannot block the end user...u could use your sim in a midi/hotspot if you wanted

A) I have tethered 23-40 GB per month since 4g came out...never a warning or questions.

A) yes if not use g a ROM an app lime PDA net or foxfi used to work, but to my knowledge not on kitkat

I hope this helps
The Following User Says Thank You to bsbuggs For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

schwartz.matthew.e
Old
Thanks Meter 71
Quote:

Coming from working for Verizon corporate, they don't care unless you're doing an obscene amount of data. If you're doing 100gb a month, expect to get a letter warning you to stop. They could also throttle you. In other words, don't be so ignorant to think you could get away with it indefinitely .

As for the hack portion of your question, it will either work or not. You don't need to worry about getting charged if you didn't sign up online, in store, or over the phone with old big red.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to schwartz.matthew.e For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Sevinex
Old
(Last edited by Sevinex; 7th May 2014 at 11:45 PM.)
Thanks Meter 46
Quote:

I am not entirely sure of the legality of using ROMs to sidestep Verizon's tethering restrictions (with unlimited data), but seeing as how no one (to my knowledge) has had their service terminated due to tethering, I assume it isn't something Verizon wishes to pursue. If I recall correctly, Verizon's recent purchase of the 700 Mhz C Block spectrum came with the clause that Verizon could not "deny, limit, or restrict the ability of their customers to use the devices and applications of their choice on the licensee's C Block network." Of course, Verizon responded to this settlement by allowing tethering, but chose to charge the end user for tethering THROUGH THEIR SPECIFIC APP, MOBILE HOTSPOT. Good old Verizon, eh? This article does a good job of expanding on Verizon and tethering plans, however it does list that users with unlimited data "must" pay for a subscription service. However, as stated above, I don't know of anyone to get their service terminated for tethering (as I don't think there is any concrete way to prove that the data you are using is through your phone or another device, assuming you use a modified Mobile Hotspot or third party tethering app), so this exists as a gray area which Verizon doesn't seem to be acting on. If anyone here has more knowledge on this, or is able to correct me on anything above or below, that would be much appreciated; I too would like to be as up to date on all of this (like the OP), so any and all information is welcomed.

Quote:
Actually, if you follow the instructions in this thread you can enable tethering in Verizon's native Mobile Hotspot app. While this method is free, it still uses your data, so unless you have copious gigabytes of data (or unlimited data) I would be careful here.

Quote:
If you have not "hacked" your Mobile Hotspot app to support free tethering (as shown above), then it will simply prompt you to sign up for a Mobile Hotspot subscription (which you can deny). If you are using a third party app, and are still unable to enable tethering, the app will simply not work. You will not get charged for a Hotspot subscription, nor will you be automatically enrolled. One thing to be careful of here is the MyVerizon app. Even though it has nothing to do directly with mobile data tethering, I suspect recent changes to it are taking a very shady approach (thread 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5) of figuring out who may be tethering. After its most recent update, it has been requesting Superuser access from users who are rooted, and my best guess is Verizon is trying to collect data on which users have modified their phones/could be tethering. I realize I may just be grasping at straws here, but perhaps Verizon has found some definitive way to link tethering to having root access, and in the future may act upon this. I know that eventually Verizon will try to kick all users off of unlimited data plans, and since technically we are bound by our contracts signed when we first got unlimited data (which prevented tethering without a subscription), they could use this as leverage to force us onto tiered plans.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sevinex For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dlscott1111
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 57
Thanks man! Learned a ton from you and the other posters. Thanks for the response and for pointing out the superuser issue. I blindly agreed to give them superuser access. Going to rethink that.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Free mobile app

Ironkidz
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I have been using a hotspot through Fox-Fi and Root hacks for years, sometimes using up to 102gb in a month! Never got a flag, message, or threat from VZW.

Sevinex
Old
Thanks Meter 46
Quote:
Thanks man! Learned a ton from you and the other posters. Thanks for the response and for pointing out the superuser issue. I blindly agreed to give them superuser access. Going to rethink that.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Free mobile app
Sadly enough, it doesn't matter if you accepted the Superuser request or not, once MyVerizon prompts you for access, it most likely is noted in the app (that you have root access) and then sent to some Verizon database to be added to your “file"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironkidz View Post
I have been using a hotspot through Fox-Fi and Root hacks for years, sometimes using up to 102gb in a month! Never got a flag, message, or threat from VZW.
I applaud you on your usage, I have never broken 10 GB, though I assume that you use your Verizon mobile data for your home internet? Otherwise, you must be Netflix-binging like “cray cray".

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app