Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,925 Members 52,493 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Questions before getting this device.

Tip us?

SysAdmNj
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 182
Default Questions before getting this device.

So what is the easiest method to root and unlock bootloader to flash a custom recovery?

Now I thought att/htc were getting stricter about making it easier to modify devices, did they change their minds because if so I'm getting this device if its gotten easier.

Masterguy635
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I would say to use hasoon2000's toolkit

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2699065
The Following User Says Thank You to Masterguy635 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

an0ther
Old
Thanks Meter 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by SysAdmNj View Post
So what is the easiest method to root and unlock bootloader to flash a custom recovery?

Now I thought att/htc were getting stricter about making it easier to modify devices, did they change their minds because if so I'm getting this device if its gotten easier.
Yes, that is the easiest way. Verizon is the only one blocking the unlock at the moment.
The Following User Says Thank You to an0ther For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

redpoint73
Old
(Last edited by redpoint73; 8th May 2014 at 10:59 AM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2817
Quote:
Easiest or best way? Two very different things.

Unlocking the bootloader and installing custom recovery "manually" is easy. All the toolkit does is automate the steps, which robs you of a valuable learning experience. Doing it manually teaches you a lot. And if you haven't used adb/fastboot before, they are important tools to know how to use when things do go quite right while modding the phone (as they invariably do, no matter how careful you are).

Quote:
AT&T did not even allow bootloader unlocking on the One X (EVITA). So that has gotten better.

Locked bootloaders aren't going away anytime soon. At least not until folks stop bricking their phones out of their own negligence, and claiming "warranty issues".
Please click the "Thanks" button if you found a post helpful!

Phone: AT&T HTC One (M8)

Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 (WiFi only)
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint73 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]