Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,547 Members 42,976 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Kernel = Battery Drain??

Tip us?
 
memtenn
Old
#1  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 51
Posts: 79
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Memphis
Default [Q] Kernel = Battery Drain??

Noob question. Does the kernel have anything to do with battery life? Me and my wife both have a note 3. Mine is rooted hers isn't (4.4.2). Her battery life is great but Im not having any luck at all. If I charge my phone over night i wake up the next morning with 92% AND ITS STILL PLUGGED IN lol. Its like it stopped charging in the middle of charging. I would then have to unplug it and plug it back in for it to charge completely. through out the day I will get a full day but around 10 pm I would be at 30% or less with moderate use. Now thats ok but for this phone I should at least be at 50% with moderate use right? My kernel is 3.4.0-257432 Sat Jan 4 and hers is 3.4.0-722276 Sat Mar 15. I've used 4 different roms including DK 2.0 and DKX (Which I Love) and its the same thing. I've just stuck with the battery life. is this normal? Thanks for listening guys.lol

Former devices
HTC M8
LG Flex
LG G2
GS4
GS3
 
Ipaqman01
Old
#2  
Member
Thanks Meter 9
Posts: 38
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by memtenn View Post
Noob question. Does the kernel have anything to do with battery life? Me and my wife both have a note 3. Mine is rooted hers isn't (4.4.2). Her battery life is great but Im not having any luck at all. If I charge my phone over night i wake up the next morning with 92% AND ITS STILL PLUGGED IN lol. Its like it stopped charging in the middle of charging. I would then have to unplug it and plug it back in for it to charge completely. through out the day I will get a full day but around 10 pm I would be at 30% or less with moderate use. Now thats ok but for this phone I should at least be at 50% with moderate use right? My kernel is 3.4.0-257432 Sat Jan 4 and hers is 3.4.0-722276 Sat Mar 15. I've used 4 different roms including DK 2.0 and DKX (Which I Love) and its the same thing. I've just stuck with the battery life. is this normal? Thanks for listening guys.lol
Since your GN3 is rooted, I assume that you are running Jelly Bean 4.3 since no one has rooted 4.4.2.

If so, you might try SafeStrap 3.71 and X-Note version 7. I had battery drain problems running the later AT&T 4.3 versions after the OTAs this year. After phone calls, my battery drain was at least five percent per hour. It used to be less than one percent per hour.

With X-Note v7, overnight I see 0.25 percent drains reported by Android Tuner. During a normal day with 25 minutes of phone calls, email downloading every four houses, some texting, and checking sport scores, I usually have 90 percent available at the end of the work day.

One of the biggest causes of battery drain is the dreaded wakelocks. They keep your phone from going to deep sleep and saving battery life. WakeLock Detector from the PlayStore works fine. I found that diagnostics.client.wakelock and NlpWakeLock. The latter can be stopped by turning off Location services. CPU Spy can show you the Deep Sleep percentage you are getting. At night, my phone reports as high as 98 percent Deep Sleep.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ipaqman01 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
memtenn
Old
#3  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 51
Posts: 79
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Memphis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipaqman01 View Post
Since your GN3 is rooted, I assume that you are running Jelly Bean 4.3 since no one has rooted 4.4.2.

If so, you might try SafeStrap 3.71 and X-Note version 7. I had battery drain problems running the later AT&T 4.3 versions after the OTAs this year. After phone calls, my battery drain was at least five percent per hour. It used to be less than one percent per hour.

With X-Note v7, overnight I see 0.25 percent drains reported by Android Tuner. During a normal day with 25 minutes of phone calls, email downloading every four houses, some texting, and checking sport scores, I usually have 90 percent available at the end of the work day.

One of the biggest causes of battery drain is the dreaded wakelocks. They keep your phone from going to deep sleep and saving battery life. WakeLock Detector from the PlayStore works fine. I found that diagnostics.client.wakelock and NlpWakeLock. The latter can be stopped by turning off Location services. CPU Spy can show you the Deep Sleep percentage you are getting. At night, my phone reports as high as 98 percent Deep Sleep.
I'm actually running kit kat 4.4.2 and SS 3.72. Can I go back to 4.3? Meaning I'm still on the 4.3 (the phone itself) but I took the Odin update for 4.4.2 with Udroid. I hope I'm being clear. So the question is can I go back to a 4.3 rom from a 4.4 rom since I've already Odin flashed 4.4.2?
 
Ipaqman01
Old
#4  
Member
Thanks Meter 9
Posts: 38
Join Date: Feb 2008
Go to this thread in XDA to get from Safestrap KK to JB.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2707555
The Following User Says Thank You to Ipaqman01 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
memtenn
Old
(Last edited by memtenn; 8th May 2014 at 11:29 AM.)
#5  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 51
Posts: 79
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Memphis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipaqman01 View Post
Go to this thread in XDA to get from Safestrap KK to JB.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2707555
Went back and had the same problem. Found out it was a bad battery. Att is replacing it. Did all this for a bad battery. Thanks again
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes