Android Wear & QR Code

Google developers released a new library for Android Wear that re-invents the QR code for watches. Circular devices … more

Turn Any GSM HTC M8 Variant into a Dev Edition Phone

HTC’s M8 has been, since its release, a fantastic device to play with. HTC truly … more

Enjoy Music Your Way with Flare

There are various things that people look for in a music player. Most of them are spread out across various … more

Back Up Your Telephony Data

XDA Recognized Developerbartitopresents thenewTelephony Data Backup app, to make manual or automated backups of … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

MMS with WiFi off?

OP Deathbynukes

6th May 2014, 08:27 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 6
 
89 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2012
I've been on stock as well as venom rom and insertcoin, but none of them seem to be able to send or receive MMS without mobile data being on. Any ideas?
6th May 2014, 08:30 PM   |  #2  
andybones's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Upstate NY
Thanks Meter: 9,829
 
9,912 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathbynukes

I've been on stock as well as venom rom and insertcoin, but none of them seem to be able to send or receive MMS without mobile data being on. Any ideas?

I believe this is a Verizon thing.
4G *should* kick on automatically when recieving an MMS message.
If you watch closely when one is coming in and you have wifi on you can see the 4g icon appear as the MMS finally comes threw.
I am not sure why they choose do to this to us, but I don't believe there is a way to make it work over wifi (that I am aware of anyway)
The Following User Says Thank You to andybones For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th May 2014, 09:52 PM   |  #3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 6
 
89 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by andybones

I believe this is a Verizon thing.
4G *should* kick on automatically when recieving an MMS message.
If you watch closely when one is coming in and you have wifi on you can see the 4g icon appear as the MMS finally comes threw.
I am not sure why they choose do to this to us, but I don't believe there is a way to make it work over wifi (that I am aware of anyway)

Ah okay. I'm wondering if there would be a way to momentarily switch data on to send or receive MMS. Keeping mobile data on all the time seems like a waste
6th May 2014, 10:18 PM   |  #4  
andybones's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Upstate NY
Thanks Meter: 9,829
 
9,912 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathbynukes

Ah okay. I'm wondering if there would be a way to momentarily switch data on to send or receive MMS. Keeping mobile data on all the time seems like a waste

For me personally, on my ROM, the 4g will kick on automatically if you are sending/receiving an MMS message so you don't have to keep mobile data on
6th May 2014, 10:58 PM   |  #5  
orangekid's Avatar
Senior Moderator
Thanks Meter: 3,285
 
10,525 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2009
More
That's so strange.

Does it do this on AOSP ROMs too, and other VZW phones?
7th May 2014, 01:46 AM   |  #6  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 6
 
89 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by andybones

For me personally, on my ROM, the 4g will kick on automatically if you are sending/receiving an MMS message so you don't have to keep mobile data on


Awesome, I might give bonestock a try then. Is that something you had to implement in your rom, or should that be an included feature on stock?




Quote:
Originally Posted by orangekid

That's so strange.

Does it do this on AOSP ROMs too, and other VZW phones?

It happened to me when I had my s3 on Verizon as well (running aosp)
7th May 2014, 01:49 AM   |  #7  
andybones's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Upstate NY
Thanks Meter: 9,829
 
9,912 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathbynukes

Awesome, I might give bonestock a try then. Is that something you had to implement in your rom, or should that be an included feature on stock?


It happened to me when I had my s3 on Verizon as well (running aosp)

Nothing I did AFAIK. I did try out cm11 today and had to manually turn on 4g so perhaps its an aosp thing?
7th May 2014, 04:55 AM   |  #8  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 6
 
89 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by andybones

Nothing I did AFAIK. I did try out cm11 today and had to manually turn on 4g so perhaps its an aosp thing?

Maybe, but I'm running a sense rom and it still has that problem :/
8th May 2014, 09:52 AM   |  #9  
Napoleones's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 9
 
139 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by andybones

For me personally, on my ROM, the 4g will kick on automatically if you are sending/receiving an MMS message so you don't have to keep mobile data on

This is on what ROM? I want this too. I don't want my mobile data always on.
8th May 2014, 02:42 PM   |  #10  
andybones's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Upstate NY
Thanks Meter: 9,829
 
9,912 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleones

This is on what ROM? I want this too. I don't want my mobile data always on.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2722699

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes