Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,543 Members 37,321 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[SOLVED] Upgrade HTC One from 4.1.2 to 4.3+ and gain S-OFF

Tip us?
 
alray
Old
(Last edited by alray; 5th May 2014 at 08:57 PM.)
#11  
alray's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1039
Posts: 2,690
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Montreal

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaevil0ne View Post
Cheers Nkk71, that clears up a lot of questions.

Only one question still remains: if I flash this RUU will it also update hboot, if so to what version?


Kind regards Stefan.
yes, flashing ruu will update hboot. If you flash the 4.19.401 ruu, this will update hboot to 1.56.

So better to s-off now on 1.44 (easier to achieve)
If I've helped you, please hit the ''tanks'' button
If you want a reply, quote or mention me using @alray

Useful links for the HTC One:
nkk71's SuperGUIDE to returning 100% back to stock
Flashing requirements chart by nkk71
HTC1Guru.com by crushalot
The Following User Says Thank You to alray For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
nateboi81
Old
#12  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 88
Posts: 532
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Melbourne
Definitely s off first. Revone works so well with 1.44

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to nateboi81 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Thaevil0ne
Old
#13  
Thaevil0ne's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 25
Posts: 135
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by alray View Post
yes, flashing ruu will update hboot. If you flash the 4.19.401 ruu, this will update hboot to 1.56.

So better to s-off now on 1.44 (easier to achieve)
More questions come to mind when checking information:

1) When one gains S-OFF will the CID automaticly be changed to 1111111?
1.1) If so, would there be any problem flashing this RUU with this CID?
2) Making Nandroid backup from my version 4.1 now would I be able to load this backup if I upgrade to 4.4?
2.1) When making an Nandroid backup does it also backup a partition like mmcblk0p19?
2.2) If not, how can I make a backup from this partition?
And are there any other partitions I can backup myself that a Nandroid backup does not make?


Kind regards, Stefan.
 
Thaevil0ne
Old
(Last edited by Thaevil0ne; 6th May 2014 at 01:33 PM.)
#14  
Thaevil0ne's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 25
Posts: 135
Join Date: Jul 2011
Anyone who could give an awnser to the questions asked above?
PS: Iam S-OFF already, but the mind can not relaxt having this many open questions.
I do not want to do something I can no longer undo later.


Kind regards, Stefan.
 
nkk71
Old
(Last edited by nkk71; 6th May 2014 at 02:32 PM.)
#15  
nkk71's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2819
Posts: 5,686
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beirut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaevil0ne View Post
1) When one gains S-OFF will the CID automaticly be changed to 1111111?
1.1) If so, would there be any problem flashing this RUU with this CID?
no it won't change by itself, you need to manually change using
fastboot oem writecid 11111111 <- or any CID you like, but it has to be exactly 8 characters, so for example HTC__001 has two underscores
fastboot reboot-bootloader


Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaevil0ne View Post
2) Making Nandroid backup from my version 4.1 now would I be able to load this backup if I upgrade to 4.4?
Yes.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaevil0ne View Post
2.1) When making an Nandroid backup does it also backup a partition like mmcblk0p19?
2.2) If not, how can I make a backup from this partition?
And are there any other partitions I can backup myself that a Nandroid backup does not make?
No it will not, nandroids typically only backup /system, /data (excluding sdcard), /cache, boot.img (kernel), and recovery.img.


On the M7_U and UL models, the partitions go from mmcblk0p1 all the way to mmcblk0p37, the last ones being
Code:
mmcblk0p33	boot
mmcblk0p34	recovery
mmcblk0p35	system
mmcblk0p36	cache
mmcblk0p37	userdata <- this includes /data and your virtual sdcard
if you wanted to back all the others up, you use
adb shell dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p<number> of=/sdcard/mmcblk0p<number>_bak.img

and then copy them over to your PC. you should exclude p35, 36 but especially 37, as you can't copy your entire internal storage to itself. (it just won't fit )

the above commands assume you have a rooted ROM (with adb already in root mode), or are running the command in custom recovery, otherwise you'd have to open a shell, and issue su first
adb shell
su
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p<number> of=/sdcard/mmcblk0p<number>_bak.img


other than p19 [misc], p6 [mfg] could be important as it is has all the information about your phone (model, manufacture date, etc): http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...1&postcount=37
The Following User Says Thank You to nkk71 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Thaevil0ne
Old
#16  
Thaevil0ne's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 25
Posts: 135
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkk71 View Post
no it won't change by itself, you need to manually change using
fastboot oem writecid 11111111 <- or any CID you like, but it has to be exactly 8 characters, so for example HTC__001 has two underscores
fastboot reboot-bootloader



Yes.



No it will not, nandroids typically only backup /system, /data (excluding sdcard), /cache, boot.img (kernel), and recovery.img.


On the M7_U and UL models, the partitions go from mmcblk0p1 all the way to mmcblk0p37, the last ones being
Code:
mmcblk0p33	boot
mmcblk0p34	recovery
mmcblk0p35	system
mmcblk0p36	cache
mmcblk0p37	userdata <- this includes /data and your virtual sdcard
if you wanted to back all the others up, you use
adb shell dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p<number> of=/sdcard/mmcblk0p<number>_bak.img

and then copy them over to your PC. you should exclude p35, 36 but especially 37, as you can't copy your entire internal storage to itself. (it just won't fit )

the above commands assume you have a rooted ROM (with adb already in root mode), or are running the command in custom recovery, otherwise you'd have to open a shell, and issue su first
adb shell
su
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p<number> of=/sdcard/mmcblk0p<number>_bak.img


other than p19 [misc], p6 [mfg] could be important as it is has all the information about your phone (model, manufacture date, etc): http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...1&postcount=37
Made a backup of all partitions from 1 to 33.

1) You say p6 [mfg] could be important aswell.
I can make a backup of this partition by the following command:
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p6 of=/sdcard/mmcblk0p6_bak.img ?
(The reason for asking is because you note that p19 is [misc] and p6 is [mfg])

2) You say I can restore my Nandroid backup if I ever want to go back to 4.1.2
The Nandroid backup is made with CWM, would it be possible to restore this with TWRP recovery?

3) When reading your other topic I see cschmitt made a recovery that ignores BCB check.
Would it not be wise to use this recovery at all time instead of the generic TWRP recovery?

I think whit these 3 question awnsered I can change the subject to [SLOVED].


Kind regards, Stefan.
 
nkk71
Old
#17  
nkk71's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2819
Posts: 5,686
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beirut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaevil0ne View Post
1) You say p6 [mfg] could be important aswell.
I can make a backup of this partition by the following command:
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p6 of=/sdcard/mmcblk0p6_bak.img ?
(The reason for asking is because you note that p19 is [misc] and p6 is [mfg])
Yes, the above command is correct; p6 is important because it has all the manufacture information of your phone:
 


Though this should never get corrupted anyway, unless you really flash something bad!! as long as you stick to flashing things appropriate for your phone model, you should be fine.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaevil0ne View Post
2) You say I can restore my Nandroid backup if I ever want to go back to 4.1.2
The Nandroid backup is made with CWM, would it be possible to restore this with TWRP recovery?
No, (as far as I know) at the moment CWM backups and TWRP are not interchangeable, but it's easy enough to change recovery at any time you like.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaevil0ne View Post
3) When reading your other topic I see cschmitt made a recovery that ignores BCB check.
Would it not be wise to use this recovery at all time instead of the generic TWRP recovery?
No, stick to regular builds, the noBCB recovery is only to be used for emergency situations.

The Following User Says Thank You to nkk71 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes