Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,807 Members 43,634 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Cannot Access Android Recovery Mode - Xperia Z1

Tip us?

Az-Tech
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Cannot Access Android Recovery Mode - Xperia Z1

I have two Xperia Z's , Z1(a) - Display is jet black and sim port broken but phone and touch still function as normal. Bought another broken screen Z1(b) - recovered motherboard to replace Z1a. That worked but now Z1b stuck on pattern screenlock and ebay seller does not want to give me password. I have the old screen with fingerprint smudges and everyday I attempt to crack the pattern lock and phone not blocked as i put sim in and able to call phone and answer..

I have tried connecting Z1b to PC to use Sony Update Service software to restore phone back to factory setting but phone is not recognised or charging by PC (does charge through wall socket and Mac USB port). Run SUS>Press Vol Down Button while connecting USB and LED indicates GREEN then RED but software cannot find phone.

{{Run SUS>Press Vol Up Button while connecting USB and LED indicates solid BLUE LED - not sure what this feature is???}}

So I exchange Z1b motherboard with Z1a and when connected to PC, phone indicates charging and installs a driver to PC. Do a dummy SUS test and phone is found by software allowing option to do a factory reset. Re-exchange back Z1b and still nothing - no charge, not recognised by PC or software - so assume Z1b usb port is faulty.

So read about Android recovery mode but i cannot access recovery mode on either of them - Is recovery mode only available for rooted android phones??? I can only enter safe mode (Power+VolDown) and tried the following options but got no response:

1. Holding Power + VolUp
2. Pressing Vol Up continuously after pressing power button
3. Pressing Vol Down continuously after pressing power button
4. Press all Buttons together.

NEXT STEPS:
1.Connect Z1b to a MacOS 10.6 or later and try SUS and PC companion (i have old Mac 10.4)

Any other help or suggestion??? - many thanks in advance.

gregbradley
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3685

DONATE TO ME
Have you installed a recovery?

If not then you cant access something that your phone does not have

You will have to root and install one, just follow the link in my signature to get root on latest KK firmware

PS, wrong section, but I have asked the mods to move it for you

How to get root on Xperia Z1 with KitKat 4.4.2, 4.4.3 & 4.4.4

If you are unsure, then read this.
If you are still unsure, watch this.

My contributions.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. Sir Isaac Newton

[X10] | [NEO] | [Xperia T/TX] |
[Xperia Z1]
You are free to share my work, but please provide the correct credits and a link to my original thread.
<<DO NOT MIRROR MY FILES>>

Follow me on twitter
The Following User Says Thank You to gregbradley For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Az-Tech
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks for your reply.

I thought this was a built in feature on android devices - guess am wrong. I will not be able to install anything if i cannot access phone OS.

Looks like i will have to see if i can reset Z1b through Mac Sony bridge SUS, cough up for USB repair OR by chance crack code.

gregbradley
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3685

DONATE TO ME
or just read some "how to" / "Tutorial" / "guides" threads to install recovery. Its very easy.

How to get root on Xperia Z1 with KitKat 4.4.2, 4.4.3 & 4.4.4

If you are unsure, then read this.
If you are still unsure, watch this.

My contributions.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. Sir Isaac Newton

[X10] | [NEO] | [Xperia T/TX] |
[Xperia Z1]
You are free to share my work, but please provide the correct credits and a link to my original thread.
<<DO NOT MIRROR MY FILES>>

Follow me on twitter