Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,777,785 Members 46,491 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] CM causes reboot loop

Tip us?

alexander7567
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2

DONATE TO ME
Default [Q] CM causes reboot loop

I installed CM using CWM onto my HTC Deluxe. I tried 4 different nightlies and the 10.2 stable and after installing any of them, I get this... it reboots into the white htc screen with a quick vibrate. Then it goes black for a second and reboots again. No CM screen or anything!

I've tried flashing it multiple times, doing factory resets, clearing cache and dalvaic cache. I am at a loss as to what to do next.

Oh and with the 10.2, instead of rebooting it just gets stuck at the HTC white screen!

es0tericcha0s
Old
Thanks Meter 499

DONATE TO ME
If you unlocked the bootloader with htcdev.com and are still S-On, you need to flash the boot.img via fastboot. Common cause of your type of problems.
Need some help, advice, something fixed? Hit me up on Hangouts @ es0tericcha0s and check out my site: http://mobilemojo5280.com for more info!

HTC Droid Eris / Motorola Droid / Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate / Motorola Droid X / LG G2x / HTC Evo 3D (x2) / Samsung Epic 4G Touch (Sprint S2) / HTC Amaze / Samsung Galaxy S3 (International) / Samsung Galaxy Note 2 / Nexus 4 / HTC One / Samsung Galaxy S4 / Sony Xperia ZL / Nexus 5 / OnePlus One (64 GB)

alexander7567
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by es0tericcha0s View Post
If you unlocked the bootloader with htcdev.com and are still S-On, you need to flash the boot.img via fastboot. Common cause of your type of problems.
Well I looked and sure enough it is s-on. So I know the process of flashing an img with flashboot, but where can I aquire the correct boot.img? I am sure it needs to be a trusty source because I would imagine the boot image could really cause damage.

es0tericcha0s
Old
Thanks Meter 499

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander7567 View Post
Well I looked and sure enough it is s-on. So I know the process of flashing an img with flashboot, but where can I aquire the correct boot.img? I am sure it needs to be a trusty source because I would imagine the boot image could really cause damage.
You just need to extract it from whichever version of CMrom.zip you are trying to use.
Need some help, advice, something fixed? Hit me up on Hangouts @ es0tericcha0s and check out my site: http://mobilemojo5280.com for more info!

HTC Droid Eris / Motorola Droid / Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate / Motorola Droid X / LG G2x / HTC Evo 3D (x2) / Samsung Epic 4G Touch (Sprint S2) / HTC Amaze / Samsung Galaxy S3 (International) / Samsung Galaxy Note 2 / Nexus 4 / HTC One / Samsung Galaxy S4 / Sony Xperia ZL / Nexus 5 / OnePlus One (64 GB)

alexander7567
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by es0tericcha0s View Post
You just need to extract it from whichever version of CMrom.zip you are trying to use.
Okay cool! Easy enough. Question before I do this though... If I flash boot.img with fastboot, will this acheive soff? Neither rumrunner or Firewater works! And if I do this what will have have to do to go back to my stock Rom for any reason using CWM?

es0tericcha0s
Old
Thanks Meter 499

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander7567 View Post
Okay cool! Easy enough. Question before I do this though... If I flash boot.img with fastboot, will this acheive soff? Neither rumrunner or Firewater works! And if I do this what will have have to do to go back to my stock Rom for any reason using CWM?
No, this will not affect S-On/Off status. This is because the bootloader unlock provided by HTC is really only a partial one. It allows you to install custom roms, themes, mods, etc, but not to allow installation of a custom kernel through recovery. That's why you have to pull it from the rom and flash it separate. Once you do that, then it will behave like normal. You can also use an app like Flashify to install the boot.img, then boot to recovery and flash the rom, if you don't have access to a PC. Just make sure to do a nandroid BEFORE that, otherwise it will back up the new kernel you flashed on top of the older OS, so might not be compatible, especially when switching between stock and CM based things.