Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,050 Members 42,950 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

ART vs Dalvik

Tip us?

hendav
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 75
Default ART vs Dalvik

Had anyone tried enabling ART in developer options? If so, what were the results? Just wondering if its worth a try.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

RevelationOmega
Old
Thanks Meter 511

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendav View Post
Had anyone tried enabling ART in developer options? If so, what were the results? Just wondering if its worth a try.

I had Nexus 5 before this S5, Ive tried ART with some mixed results. With ART on Nexus 5, everything seems smoother and some battery effects (but may be placebo). With S5, everything seems similar in regards to smooth yet FCs from some installed apps like Connection Optimizer and few others. This is very brief on advantages/disadvantages. Its more like a personal preference when people choose one over the other, Dalvik/ART, but you'll have to test yourself and see what you think, form your own opinion about it. Honestly, I'd test it now before Android 4.5/5.0 comes with it by default runtime. Some say no, some say yes, its definitely though agreed to be in development and has a lot of potential towards being great.
From the depths, the light is all you see.... Life's Good in QHD.

LG G3 - Stock - No Root (yet...)
Samsung S5 - Stock Deodexed - Root
Google Nexus 5 - Liquid Smooth - Root

Don't Forget to Hit the THANKS if I Helped!
The Following User Says Thank You to RevelationOmega For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sarreq
Old
Thanks Meter 15
wait until the next major android version before using ART, it's not stable enough yet, and there are many apps not compatible with it.

The Following User Says Thank You to sarreq For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

JoeFCaputo113
Old
Thanks Meter 1,712

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarreq View Post
wait until the next major android version before using ART, it's not stable enough yet, and there are many apps not compatible with it.

Bingo. It's not stable enough and many apps you know, lov, and use a lot are not compatible with ART yet. Hopefully Android 4.5/5.0 (whichever they decide) will make ART stable as hell and be able to be used 100% of the time.
Sprint Galaxy S3 Retired
Sprint Galaxy S4 Retired

Sprint Galaxy S5
ROM: MOAR v2
Kernel: Stock NE5 Kernel with some tweaks
Theme: Velur (Nova icon pack)
Modem: NE5
Apps I NEED: TiBu, Google Now, Beautiful Widgets, Greenify (Donate), Xposed, 8sms, NiLS/NiLS FP

Samsung Gear Live
Stock Everything

Previously Joe0113

Awesome Collection of Android Apps from XDA Developers!
Collection of Apps for Android Wear (Alphabetized and Categorized)!