Android TV Launcher Pushed to Google Play

Over the past decade, the tech universe has seen two drastic and widely contrasting changes with … more

Cyngn, OnePlus, Micromax – The Legal Battle

Recently, a battle has been waging in India over the rights to distribute the commercial … more

Lean Mean Battery Power Saving App Review

We talk a lot about battery topics here at XDA TV. We talk about everything from Power Banks to USB … more

Android 5.1 Possibly Coming February 2015

Google released Android 5.0 just over a month ago, and since then Lollipop has been trying to … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

New firmware, AND4

OP Serinety

8th May 2014, 10:09 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Davis, CA
Thanks Meter: 348

789 posts
Donate to Me
More
So i was dinking around on sammobile, saw the latest firmware for the p900, problem is, its only a china firmware, i said.. "What the hell..." and went ahead and installed it on my US p900.

Works like a champ! Its all in english, im not sure if thats because i didnt wipe before i odin'd it. But reguardless, im up and running with it.

I had to change the text prediction to english. Everything i was typing was english, but the prediction suggestions were all chinese. But i just changed that in the keyboard settings.

In the stock browser, if you search from address bar, it returns results from some chinese search engine. It looks like you cant change it. Oh well, i use chrome and opera anyway.

The keyboard has some new features that i really like. Options for clipboard, handwriting, mic.. Etc are right on top, can turn prediction on and off with a toggle above tab..

Here is the the about screen.

At anyrate, i dont know what all was updated, if there are things you all want me to check/test lemme know.

Here is the sammobile link for those interested.

http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/3/?download=28998

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Serinety For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th May 2014, 10:34 PM   |  #2  
Flag Honolulu, Hawaii
Thanks Meter: 200

867 posts
So the alternate symbols are gone on the new keyboard? I'm not sure if i'd like that. I guess the common ones are there but some basic math symbols and brackets are missing in addition to other punctionation marks. Guess thats what the Sym button will have to be used for (currently don't use it much with the older keyboard).
9th May 2014, 05:40 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 89

345 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzy996

So the alternate symbols are gone on the new keyboard? I'm not sure if i'd like that. I guess the common ones are there but some basic math symbols and brackets are missing in addition to other punctionation marks. Guess thats what the Sym button will have to be used for (currently don't use it much with the older keyboard).

There is an xposed module to activate long press symbols if you're rooted. Fyi

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
9th May 2014, 07:47 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Davis, CA
Thanks Meter: 348

789 posts
Donate to Me
More
I ended up going back to an XAR firmware . I had no Google services. Apparently China uses their own services for mail, maps, search... Etc.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk
9th May 2014, 11:42 PM   |  #5  
Flag Honolulu, Hawaii
Thanks Meter: 200

867 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendav

There is an xposed module to activate long press symbols if you're rooted. Fyi

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Thanks, yes fully aware of that but the discussion was on the new keyboard layout being described above so I was asking relative to that discussion. Had he still been using that firmware and the option not be in there to turn it on I was going to suggest next to try xposed and that alt keyboard symbol module.
11th May 2014, 03:01 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 22

107 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzy996

Thanks, yes fully aware of that but the discussion was on the new keyboard layout being described above so I was asking relative to that discussion. Had he still been using that firmware and the option not be in there to turn it on I was going to suggest next to try xposed and that alt keyboard symbol module.

I know from messing with missing keyboard symbols, both the "language" and handwriting recognition "language" need to be "English US". If one is UK, symbols would disappear. This was reported by many when I posted looking for my symbols. Just fyi. Wonder if that rom had the mag UX that US users didn't get.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jackwagon06 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread