Boost the Brightness of Your Sony Xperia Z1’s LED

I think the last time anyone has ever used a physical torch to find their earphones, … more

XDA Xposed Tuesday: Modify the Look of Your Volume Control – XDA TV

How many screenshots have you seen with a volume status bar in the … more

Prepare Your Nokia X2 for Battle with Nokia X2 Tools

Unveiled in June this year, the Nokia X2 is the Finnish companys second crack at an … more

Increase the Speaker Volume of Your Samsung Gear 2 with Tool and Tutorial

I think its pretty safe to say that any sound coming out of a … more
Post Reply

[Q] Help - rooted SCH-I545 updated to KitKat - lost root.

8th May 2014, 09:14 PM   |  #1  
Blue Sun's Avatar
OP Junior Member
Flag Boothwyn
Thanks Meter: 1
 
9 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2011
More
Oops, rooted I-545 running 4.3 was accidently updated to KitKat 4.4.2 and I lost root HELP!
I am starting a new thread because I think my message got lost in a 45-page thread and this is urgent.

My original S4 had the updating software renamed so that I wouldn't even be notified about updates, but I had to get a warranty replacement. I rooted it, but forgot to turn of the ability to update. Last week, while I was undergoing surgery for a kidney stone, my wife was using the phone in the waiting room. She saw a message that an update was ready and, since her S3 is totally stock and she always updates, she hit the ok button. That night, I discovered I was no longer rooted and that KitKat 4.4.2 was the new O/S.

I am very dependent on functionality that will only run rooted, so I really need to clear this up. For example, I use RCB as my phone and text blocker and it requires root to run. It's big advantage is that it does this all silently before the call bubbles up to where non-rooted call-blockers do a pickup and hangup (with an annoying fragment of a ring each time). Since I'm unable to run RCB or a root-level file browser to recover the logs of blocked numbers to use (temporarily, I hope) in something like Mr. Number.

Is there anything I can do to either root under KitKat, or back down my version of Android to 4.3 and then re-root the standard way?

Blue Sun

"Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, thatís creativity."
-- Charles Mingus
9th May 2014, 12:36 AM   |  #2  
Member
Flag Rock Island
Thanks Meter: 18
 
74 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2014
Donate to Me
More
Here you go.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2726868
9th May 2014, 02:53 PM   |  #3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 14
 
153 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooley69

Here you go.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2726868

This does not help him because he lost root & wants to get it back. This instructional thread assumes root has been maintained. Currently, there is no root solution for the 4.4.2 version. Apparently, patience is the only solution.
Techguy2002
9th May 2014, 02:59 PM   |  #4  
Guest
Thanks Meter: 0
 
n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffcerClancy

This does not help him because he lost root & wants to get it back. This instructional thread assumes root has been maintained. Currently, there is no root solution for the 4.4.2 version. Apparently, patience is the only solution.

Actually it should because you can downgrade partially back to MK2 and then root using saferoot and then follow the top instructions to go back to fnc5 and it works because I have done it. If you havent done it you shouldnt comment.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th May 2014, 03:53 PM   |  #5  
Member
Flag Rock Island
Thanks Meter: 18
 
74 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2014
Donate to Me
More
That's what I learned TechGuy. Just trying to help out!
9th May 2014, 04:46 PM   |  #6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 14
 
153 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techguy2002

Actually it should because you can downgrade partially back to MK2 and then root using saferoot and then follow the top instructions to go back to fnc5 and it works because I have done it. If you havent done it you shouldnt comment.

Yeah, whatever you say Supreme Leader. In any case, if you have actually done this, you should share your gift w/this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2734309
9th May 2014, 05:01 PM   |  #7  
Junior Member
Flag Glen Allen
Thanks Meter: 3
 
19 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2014
More
Reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Sun

Oops, rooted I-545 running 4.3 was accidently updated to KitKat 4.4.2 and I lost root HELP!
I am starting a new thread because I think my message got lost in a 45-page thread and this is urgent.

My original S4 had the updating software renamed so that I wouldn't even be notified about updates, but I had to get a warranty replacement. I rooted it, but forgot to turn of the ability to update. Last week, while I was undergoing surgery for a kidney stone, my wife was using the phone in the waiting room. She saw a message that an update was ready and, since her S3 is totally stock and she always updates, she hit the ok button. That night, I discovered I was no longer rooted and that KitKat 4.4.2 was the new O/S.

I am very dependent on functionality that will only run rooted, so I really need to clear this up. For example, I use RCB as my phone and text blocker and it requires root to run. It's big advantage is that it does this all silently before the call bubbles up to where non-rooted call-blockers do a pickup and hangup (with an annoying fragment of a ring each time). Since I'm unable to run RCB or a root-level file browser to recover the logs of blocked numbers to use (temporarily, I hope) in something like Mr. Number.

Is there anything I can do to either root under KitKat, or back down my version of Android to 4.3 and then re-root the standard way?

Blue Sun

"Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, thatís creativity."
-- Charles Mingus

Okay so the way to do this is simple: You will need to factory reset to stock. This will wipe all of your data, but if you do this correctly with Odin, then you will be surprised with how it works.

Use this thread to do a full or no wipe: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2578209"]http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2578209

Once you do that, you have to go through the processes and go to settings>phone info>software update and update your system software.
After that, you can re-root your device through this thread: http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/root-galaxy...y-void-1431730

Your welcome.
9th May 2014, 07:44 PM   |  #8  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
1 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2014
Do I neet root to use Surges downgrade??
I upgraded to leaked kitkat nc2 and lost root of course..I want to downgrade with Surges method back to mk2..does his downgrade process require root to downgrade?? First post.... Thanx..
9th May 2014, 09:32 PM   |  #9  
joshm.1219's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Philadelphia
Thanks Meter: 1,381
 
3,216 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffcerClancy

Yeah, whatever you say Supreme Leader. In any case, if you have actually done this, you should share your gift w/this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2734309

Somebody already told that guy to do that. It is a known method.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Verizon Samsung Galaxy S 4 Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting by ThreadRank