Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,427 Members 41,592 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Z2 first impressions

Tip us?

colonel
Old
(Last edited by colonel; 8th May 2014 at 10:13 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 39
Thumbs up Z2 first impressions

Its of course selling eggs to grandma as you guys probably have this phone but I just wanted to say its the best phone I have ever used.

I have come from an iPhone, and previously used a Galaxy S4, HTC One and Note 3

1. Build quality - lovely. Samsung needs to leave iPhone 3 style and plastic fantastic. HTC is also very nice - difference is a taste thing
2. Screen. Excellent. Can't really comment. Samsung looks more 3D but also more weird. Sony is somehow more crisp.
3. Takes an SD card - yay!
4. Buttons really nicely placed
5. A photo button - Sony's camera division makes itself know
6. Sony software is non-intrusive
7. Mostly weather proof
8. Battery capacity significantly higher (3200 vs 2800&2800). However S5 does have a removable battery
9. On switch on the side (not the top which is a pain) and can set the phone to have a double tap to switch on, which is great

Galaxy S5 looks and feel disappointing, still plastic fantastic.
HTC One M8 very nice. Not much in it. Prefer the more military look of the Z2

It was also nice to get a screen protector in the box. A small thing I know but useful.

Development points ? have to say something to sound honest but really can't think of much. The door covering the charger point looks a bit flimsy. understand its needed for the water proofing but lets see how it goes. Would like a numeric line of keys in default keyboard. Could someone also make a dock that can be used with the a case on!!! Some silly extras, like a 4k res screen but I guess this will happen at sometime in the future

Perhaps the top phones are so good these days that its all down to taste really, but the keyboard is good on the Z2 and I feel, along with the Note 3, that Android has finally answered the usability of the iPhone but with much enhanced functionality.

best rgds
Xperia Z2
Previous: Note 3, iPhone 5s, HTC One, Nexus 4, Sony Xperia P, Samsung G SIII, Galaxy Nexus, Nokia 710, Galaxy S, Xperia Ray, iPhone 4s, Dell Venue Pro, BB 9800, Sensation, ChaCha, Desire S, Mozart, BB9780, HD7, Desire, Nokia N97 Mini, iPhone 4, Mini HD, Legend, BB9000, Nokia E72, Nexus 1, Touch HD, Snap, Click, BB9700, T-Mob Pulse (U8220), iphone 3GS, Diamond 2, Nokia E63 & E71, Palm Treo Pro, Magic, S740, Touch Pro, Jade, Diamond, x7500, Elf, S730,S710, S620, Universal, Hermes
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to colonel For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

BanziBaby
Old
(Last edited by BanziBaby; 8th May 2014 at 02:56 PM.)
Thanks Meter 72
It definitely is a amazing phone.

1. Screen is amazing & super sharp quality, images look great on it (I turn off x-reality as it kinda "samsungs" the colours & makes them too poppy)
2. No issues with sound quality, others have complained about notification volume etc but last night I was on the PC, the TV was on & the phone was sitting on the couch way across the room & I got a notification & almost jumped, guess it depends on the quality of the sound files you use, call quality is also good & you can tweak the equaliser.
3. Battery life is amazing, I'm getting just over 2 days with 7 hours+ SOT, gaming browsing, emails & syncing etc.
4. Build quality is pretty damn good other than slight gap issue, last 2 devices were galaggy S & galaggy S3 & really hated the plastic lightweight feel of them, Z2 feels much more premium & nicely weighted.
5. Camera quality is good as well, it will never be as good as a dedicated camera but it does a damn good job of coming close, just look at some of the pics taken by members here in various threads.
6. The sony UI is much more subtle, quicker, smoother & less invasive than samsungs touchwiz though there are a few niggles.
7. Waterproofing is a bonus but I for one won't be dunking it in water.
8. Music quality is great as well & there a good few settings you can tweak to get it to sound better, I like to listen to Led Zeppelin bootlegs & the sound settings allow me to get it sounding great even if it a AUD or SBD recording.
9.Double tap to wake works 95% of the time for me.
10. It is sleek & super sexy to look at.

Some gripes.

1. Really miss a reboot option in the power menu but then I used to custom roms.
2. Can get very warm when gaming, using the camera or websurfing on sites that have lots of animated gifs.
3 Lockscreen widgets seem to be restricted in size, I use Chronus on the lockscreen & notice that some info like weather & date are slightly truncated unless to drag down on the widget then it displays ok but goes back to being truncated again.
4. The glass back does make the phone feel a lot more slippery than I would like but it too sexy looking to put a case on, bit like having a supermodel but putting a bin liner over her head when going out.
5. The over heating does worry me as it gets very hot right where the microSD card is & I have experienced music playback issues right after gaming, let it cool down & music played back fine.
6. Sometimes the lockscreen swipe doesn't work with a horizontal swipe but it does with a vertical swipe.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BanziBaby For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

JMonkeYJ
Old
Thanks Meter 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanziBaby View Post
The glass back does make the phone feel a lot more slippery than I would like but it too sexy looking to put a case on, bit like having a supermodel but putting a bin liner over her head when going out.
On my Nexus 4 (also has a glass back) I put a screen protector on just the back of it (back protector, I guess?). This made it much less slippery without sacrificing much, if anything, in terms of aesthetics. You could give it a shot.

BanziBaby
Old
Thanks Meter 72
@JMonkeYJ yeah I might just do that, doesn't help that I have sweaty hands lol