Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,817 Members 53,892 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Expansion slot: microSD card Capacity

Tip us?

Ungruntled
Old
(Last edited by Ungruntled; 2nd May 2014 at 06:02 PM.) Reason: I had a few points to add that didn't require a new post.
Thanks Meter 7
Situation has changed a little now - I can now view the card correctly on my PC.

It's because I'm stubbornly still on XP (I am NOT moving to Vista, 7 or 8 any time in the future!) so I needed an update to enable SDXC cards, otherwise it just gets stuck saying "card isn't formatted, do you want to format it? (yes) Oh, formatting failed" etc.

In case anyone else has problems like this the update is KB955704, available from link below.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...ng=en&id=19364

This means I can now just pull the card from my Z2 and stick my music etc. on from there, and pull the photos etc off from there.
It seems even when connecting to PC via the phone's USB lead there are problems until this update is in - I could see the files but not edit them, move, copy, etc etc which is what was REALLY confusing me.

Sorry if I seemed a bit noobie about that. I've actually been flashing my phones, tinkering etc for years and years but I guess I've not had an SDXC card before so didn't realise it wouldn't play ball.

MUCH better now - I don't really care what the KitKat limitations are now I can just transfer files "properly".

Cheers for the explanation about KitKat though, that is very useful.

So I wasted a day transferring files via Dropbox when a poxy Windows update would have solved it. You live and learn. I hope I can save someone else the hassle!

ericjennings
Old
Thanks Meter 17
The pre-installed File Commander can write to the internal storage. So getting files onto the external add card is two stages. I copy over WiFi from my NAS to internal storage using ES file explorer, then copy from internal to external using file commander.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Eric Jennings

UIQ/Symbian - Sony Ericsson P800, P900, P990, P1
Windows Mobile 6 - HTC TyTN II; Sony Ericsson Xperia X1; HTC HD Touch; HTC HD2
Android - HTC HD2; HTC Desire; HTC Desire HD
Windows Phone 7 - HTC HD2
Android - Samsung Galaxy S3; Sony Xperia Z1; Sony Xperia Z2

Ungruntled
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericjennings View Post
The pre-installed File Commander can write to the internal storage. So getting files onto the external add card is two stages. I copy over WiFi from my NAS to internal storage using ES file explorer, then copy from internal to external using file commander.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Thanks for that, I found that File Commander trick earlier. Problem I had to get around was I went nuts and installed every single app I ever bought but couldn't use properly on my old phones - namely the GTA games which were broken for my Xperia S. I ran out of internal storage within hours of getting my Z2... I got over-excited. I've calmed down now and deleted a load so there's more space and my SD card works fine now when in a card reader.

I've never been able to manage files directly from Explorer on my PC though when the phone is directly connected, either on the S and now the Z2. I think it worked to a point on my Xperia X10 but I mostly used Wifi File Explorer... which isn't working on my Z2 unfortunately, probably due to the Kit Kat restrictions mentioned.

I can kind of see why they did that - my phones used to get full of mystery folders full of crap over time - but it's a shame it breaks a lot of the old ways I used to get things done.

Anyway I apologise if we've gone off topic but thanks everyone for your very helpful hints and advice. I'm actually looking forward to getting my O2 Xperia Z tablet with the bundled offer (99 for an Xperia Z tablet, yes please O2!) because it will most likely be permanently stuck on good, old-fashioned Jelly Bean. I've not seen much in Kit Kat that has thrilled me. I don't think I'd update to Kit Kat if I had a choice given how firmly a grip of your nuts they have now.

Cheers!

robt772000
Old
Thanks Meter 59
Hey guys with the 128gb card. How does 4K video go when writing to the card? Is it fast enough?
N1 to SGS2 to SGN to HOX T3 to G1 Dev ed. grey Lumia 920 to yellow 920 back to N1 then a Sony Xperia Z via a Mozart and now a black and a silver M7 and now a Nexus 4 and a HD2 running WP7.8 and then a Note 3 back to a silver 64gb HTC One M7 and now HTC One M8 and now a Sony Xperia Z2 back to a 32gb M8 and now a G watch with an LG G3.

HOmERCIdAL
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by robt772000 View Post
Hey guys with the 128gb card. How does 4K video go when writing to the card? Is it fast enough?
Hi I don't have a 128gb in mines but rather a Sandisk ULTRA 64Gb class 10 SDXC card.

I shot a 2 minute 4k video this afternoon which was saved directly onto the SDcard and on playback there seemed to be no problems whatsoever playing it back.

I hope that helps.

ericjennings
Old
Thanks Meter 17
I have a 128gb card. Just recorded 1 minute of 4k to sd card and played back without problems. File size 391mb.

Sent from my D6503 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Eric Jennings

UIQ/Symbian - Sony Ericsson P800, P900, P990, P1
Windows Mobile 6 - HTC TyTN II; Sony Ericsson Xperia X1; HTC HD Touch; HTC HD2
Android - HTC HD2; HTC Desire; HTC Desire HD
Windows Phone 7 - HTC HD2
Android - Samsung Galaxy S3; Sony Xperia Z1; Sony Xperia Z2