Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,606 Members 47,825 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Updating twrp without a pc ?

Tip us?

aakashba1001
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Updating twrp without a pc ?

My laptop blew up a capacitor, i have twrp 2.6 x x i we need 2. 7 x x for cm11. Is there a way to update without a pc ?

stunts513
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 603

DONATE TO ME
Download it on the kindle, flash the zip from inside of twrp, reboot into twrp again and you will notice the version is newer. If you have issues downloading the zip on your kindle just tell me I could temporarily host it somewhere for ya.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD using Tapatalk
My Wallpaper Fix for KF2, KFHD 7", and KFHD 8.9" is HERE
Please Read the instructions and use the debugger if you run into errors.
My own modified adb drivers for just about all kindles (includes old twrp and cm versions) HERE
Tablet UI Patch for latest CM10.1 build HERE!

Please send complaints to /dev/null

gatalon
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by aakashba1001 View Post
My laptop blew up a capacitor, i have twrp 2.6 x x i we need 2. 7 x x for cm11. Is there a way to update without a pc ?
you can download HashCode's TWRP Here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2218802
and install from your current TWRP, just as you flash a ROM.

aakashba1001
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Thanks guys

thanks both of ya, one last question.

for the official cm11 release, the nightly mean u guys keep wiping and installing new os everyday ?

Is there any older release with no bugs ? If they did nightlies for older versions, one of them must have all bugs fixed right ?

gatalon
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:

for the official cm11 release, the nightly mean u guys keep wiping and installing new os everyday ?

Is there any older release with no bugs ? If they did nightlies for older versions, one of them must have all bugs fixed right ?
CM nightly build works good for me, you don't need to wiping new buld everyday, just choise one.
CM team will release a new month build every month, that build will be better than nightly build.
It takes time for the CM team to build a ROM with no bugs, so, just be patient.

eatbrains
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I installed the 4/14 unofficial CM11 build that Hashcode posted over in development and am stunned at how well it works! I'll be sticking with this one for the interim. The TWRP upgrade is necessary, but Hashcode made it easy (see link in gatalon's post). In my case, I think it may have even fixed a long standing issue I had.

I've had my kindle HD 8.9" for over a year now, and have always been disappointed with it's performance. Even after I rooted it and put the CM10.1 build on it, it still exhibited weird sluggish, unresponsive behavior. This upgrade to TWRP 2.7 and CM11 has made all the difference in the world. All the weird sluggishness is magically gone.

It was noticeable as soon as I used TWRP 2.7 to wipe everything out. I'm half suspecting I had something wonky going on with the file system that wasn't getting addressed with the older version of recovery. I noticed 2.7 explicitly states that it's calling mkfs during the wipe process where the older version didn't. My uneducated theory is that the older version, 2.6.0.0, just deleted everything where the newer version is actually re-formatting the partitions. I could be way off base though. Just happy it's finally working like I thought a piece of hardware like this should!

nathanh
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:

No wipe is needed (normally) when updating from one CM official nightly to a subsequent one. It will even detect if the engine has changed and recompile the davlik cache as needed. Personally, I'm a big fan of wiping cache (and only cache) with each new build and I also install any update PA GApps when available ( http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2397942 ).

Caveat emptor: The CM team makes ever effort to make builds backwards compatible, but always take a backup and be prepared to do a factory reset / data wipe. It very rarely is needed, but you don't want to need a backup and not have one!

stephenrscholl
Old
Thanks Meter 1
If the problem hasn't already been solved, here is an alternative: fireflash. Look it up.

Sent from my Amazon Jem using Tapatalk