Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,406 Members 42,317 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[ROM][Non-LTE][Unofficial][4.4.2 KitKat]CarbonROM

Tip us?

zahir32
Old
Thanks Meter 31
Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcasey View Post
I am not an XBMC user, however I was able to download XBMC from the Play store and launch it. It allows me to search for/connect to an XBMC host.
Thank you for experimenting. I don't think the Playstore has the regular XBMC media center; you may have tested the XBMC Remote app or something similar.

XBMC for Android can only be downloaded here:

http://xbmc.org/download/

I'm still looking for a Kit Kat build that is compatible.

Thank you again.

dwcasey
Old
(Last edited by dwcasey; 14th January 2014 at 07:13 PM.)
Thanks Meter 35
Default apps crashing...

Found somewhere else on XDA

+++

Kindle app crashing has a workaround: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...3#post48928053
Short answer:

download Build.prop Editor from the Play store and use it to change the ro.product.manufacturer line from Amazon to Samsung.

---------- Post added at 12:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahir32 View Post
Thank you for experimenting. I don't think the Playstore has the regular XBMC media center; you may have tested the XBMC Remote app or something similar.

XBMC for Android can only be downloaded here:

http://xbmc.org/download/

I'm still looking for a Kit Kat build that is compatible.

Thank you again.
I downloaded and successfully installed the XBMC app from the link you provided. It went through the 'preparing for first run', I am able to swipe through various bits of the menu...I see scrolling news at the bottom. I was able to use the Weather app. Appears to be working. Not sure what else I could do or test with this app.

edit: I added a couple of 'channels' like HGTV and DIY...I was able to start playing/streaming a show on the HGTV channel.
edit2: forgot to mention, it flips the screen 180, but when you turn the tablet to reorient, it sticks, it doesn't flip back.
- no sig -
The Following User Says Thank You to dwcasey For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

zahir32
Old
Thanks Meter 31
Default Great help

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcasey View Post
Found somewhere else on XDA

+++

Kindle app crashing has a workaround: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...3#post48928053
Short answer:

download Build.prop Editor from the Play store and use it to change the ro.product.manufacturer line from Amazon to Samsung.

---------- Post added at 12:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 PM ----------

I downloaded and successfully installed the XBMC app from the link you provided. It went through the 'preparing for first run', I am able to swipe through various bits of the menu...I see scrolling news at the bottom. I was able to use the Weather app. Appears to be working. Not sure what else I could do or test with this app.

edit: I added a couple of 'channels' like HGTV and DIY...I was able to start playing/streaming a show on the HGTV channel.
edit2: forgot to mention, it flips the screen 180, but when you turn the tablet to reorient, it sticks, it doesn't flip back.

You are great. Your experiments have convinced me to install Carbon Rom and go from there. Many thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to zahir32 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

smirciat
Old
Thanks Meter 35
Default Good to have another option

Loving the other KitKat Jem ROMs here as well, I appreciated your comment about wanting to keep this device section from getting too boring! Glad to hear there's still activity on the LTE front, although I realize that's a tricky one. I'm not expecting miracles here, just glad to hear about the interest. Thanks for all of it!

hhairplane
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by smirciat View Post
Loving the other KitKat Jem ROMs here as well, I appreciated your comment about wanting to keep this device section from getting too boring! Glad to hear there's still activity on the LTE front, although I realize that's a tricky one. I'm not expecting miracles here, just glad to hear about the interest. Thanks for all of it!
Any updates on LTE or general Rom updates?

r3pwn
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhairplane View Post
Any updates on LTE or general Rom updates?
All builds I've been trying have failed. I'm trying to the issues, but I have finals. Expect some through the summer.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Need help?
Hit me up on Twitter or Google+ or, you know, just send me a PM.

Like what I do?
Send me your Bitcoins. 1EQMaazk3DmBvSFJmWXzhFWbMiZ3SpUj5Z