Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,490 Members 40,682 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Completely locked phone?

Tip us?

bozob
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default Completely locked phone?

I have a new Galaxy S3 SGH-I747 with 4.3 that I got from AT&T's insurance company to replace my old one. I can't access it from adb for more than about 30 seconds at a time before it exits the session. I loaded TWRP, but it can't mount any devices and won't see the SD card. I tried CF-auto-Root (and blew my warranty), but CF-auto-root can't root it and can't reload the stock recovery so I can't reset the phone.

Is there something new out there can so lock down a phone that you can't access any of it's functionality?

How do I bring it back to some normal state where TWRP or CF-auto-root will work if I can't install a zipped file from TWRP? Is there an Odin version of the recovery?

Thanks in advance.

petenatas
Old
(Last edited by petenatas; 8th May 2014 at 10:11 PM.)
Thanks Meter 45
Please follow FORUM RULES #15

And the Development Rules

In short, this thread belongs in the Q&A forum. We can't answer you here, because we'd break the rules as well. A forum moderator might move the thread for you.

---------- Post added at 05:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:44 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozob View Post
I have a new Galaxy S3 SGH-I747 with 4.3 that I got from AT&T's insurance company to replace my old one. I can't access it from adb for more than about 30 seconds at a time before it exits the session. I loaded TWRP, but it can't mount any devices and won't see the SD card. I tried CF-auto-Root (and blew my warranty), but CF-auto-root can't root it and can't reload the stock recovery so I can't reset the phone.

Is there something new out there can so lock down a phone that you can't access any of it's functionality?

How do I bring it back to some normal state where TWRP or CF-auto-root will work if I can't install a zipped file from TWRP? Is there an Odin version of the recovery?

Thanks in advance.

Once TWRP is installed, everything should be working unless you installed an old version of TWRP that doesn't support Android 4.3...

Larry2999
Old
Thanks Meter 74
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
If you have TWRP, you can try doing a stock restore to 4.3 following the instructions in the thread below ...
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2658486

Unless your phone has hardware issues, it should work.

bozob
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry2999 View Post
If you have TWRP, you can try doing a stock restore to 4.3 following the instructions in the thread below ...
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2658486

Unless your phone has hardware issues, it should work.
TWRP wasn't working for me since it couldn't mount ANYTHING the way the phone was working. I wasn't able to see any ZIP installs that were loaded. I also couldn't keep the phone But I did find the source of the problem and how to resolve it.

I reloaded the stock ROM and recovery using ODIN 3.07 and the TAR file from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=52056692 (This TAR requires 3.07)
When I rebooted I had to set-up the phone as new and shortly thereafter saw a pop-up from Samsung asking if I wanted them to periodically check and protect my device from malicious software. I remember agreeing to this last time so I did again this time and had the same problem. I did a factory and data reset and then didn't agree to the option. After that it let saferoot through and I was able to root the phone.

Wish I'd known about this and saferoot earlier. I could have kept my warranty.

Larry2999
Old
Thanks Meter 74
Quote:
TWRP wasn't working for me since it couldn't mount ANYTHING the way the phone was working. I wasn't able to see any ZIP installs that were loaded. I also couldn't keep the phone But I did find the source of the problem and how to resolve it.

I reloaded the stock ROM and recovery using ODIN 3.07 and the TAR file from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=52056692 (This TAR requires 3.07)
When I rebooted I had to set-up the phone as new and shortly thereafter saw a pop-up from Samsung asking if I wanted them to periodically check and protect my device from malicious software. I remember agreeing to this last time so I did again this time and had the same problem. I did a factory and data reset and then didn't agree to the option. After that it let saferoot through and I was able to root the phone.

Wish I'd known about this and saferoot earlier. I could have kept my warranty.
Glad to know it's working now. Yes, saferoot roots your phone without tripping your warranty.