Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,065 Members 40,661 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Change video size (bitrate) in Youtube app?

Tip us?

Mpegger
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] Change video size (bitrate) in Youtube app?

I noticed that the videos in Youtube looked much better on my new phone then on the previous phone and thought that the Youtube app was defaulting to the HD stream (previous phone had really crappy WiMax, new phone is LTE @14Mbps even inside a large warehouse). After toggling it on and off to be sure it was indeed off, it appears that it still is using a higher bitrate stream probably because of the great LTE. What is strange though, is that last week, Youtube was averaging 150-200MB a day after watching a couple of videos. This week, after toggling HD on/off, it's nearly 3-4x as much and rapidly using up my data for the month. The "regular" stream also doesn't look that much different at all from the "HD" stream, so it could be it's stuck on the HD stream because of the high bandwidth my LTE connection has (or something else).

I want to use a lower quality stream to conserve my data, but have not been able to find any way to do so within the Youtube app, or via a Xposed module. Is there any way to choose the video size at all on a Android device? I'd prefer to stick with the stock Google Youtube app (via some external control/option?), but if I have to use some other app to do so I will.

bibhu60
Old
Thanks Meter 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpegger View Post
I noticed that the videos in Youtube looked much better on my new phone then on the previous phone and thought that the Youtube app was defaulting to the HD stream (previous phone had really crappy WiMax, new phone is LTE @14Mbps even inside a large warehouse). After toggling it on and off to be sure it was indeed off, it appears that it still is using a higher bitrate stream probably because of the great LTE. What is strange though, is that last week, Youtube was averaging 150-200MB a day after watching a couple of videos. This week, after toggling HD on/off, it's nearly 3-4x as much and rapidly using up my data for the month. The "regular" stream also doesn't look that much different at all from the "HD" stream, so it could be it's stuck on the HD stream because of the high bandwidth my LTE connection has (or something else).

I want to use a lower quality stream to conserve my data, but have not been able to find any way to do so within the Youtube app, or via a Xposed module. Is there any way to choose the video size at all on a Android device? I'd prefer to stick with the stock Google Youtube app (via some external control/option?), but if I have to use some other app to do so I will.

Try Og Youtube its almost the same as youtube and much better it has many features like changing quality , downloading etc..
[MOD]OG YouTube 5.2.27

My Thread -:
[BootAnimations] For Galaxy Ace Plus GT-S7500 (320 X 480)

Hit if I helped you somehow

Current Device:Galaxy Ace Plus
Android Version:4.1.2
Current Rom: AROMA||CM10||JB|✩✩Pure GALAXYv1.0✩✩
TouchWiz: 4.0
Kernel version:2.6.38.6-1214151
Baseband version:S7500DDME1
The Following User Says Thank You to bibhu60 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]