Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,757 Members 37,200 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Some root and unlock question before attmept

Tip us?
 
4ringsa6
Old
#1  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 74
Join Date: Apr 2013
Default Some root and unlock question before attmept

This phone is on latest version 4.4.2 kit kat.

I've seen the root videos on YouTube and haven't seen any of them unlock the bootloader. Is that not necessary?

Secondly if I mess up in the root process and soft brick it, what software can I use to restore back to normal. Is there one made by LG? Like apples "iTunes" and Samsung "Odin"

I'm wanting to root to unlock phone to use with tmobile.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
secret.animal
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 546
Posts: 1,006
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Lake Villa
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ringsa6 View Post
This phone is on latest version 4.4.2 kit kat.

I've seen the root videos on YouTube and haven't seen any of them unlock the bootloader. Is that not necessary?

Secondly if I mess up in the root process and soft brick it, what software can I use to restore back to normal. Is there one made by LG? Like apples "iTunes" and Samsung "Odin"

I'm wanting to root to unlock phone to use with tmobile.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Use ioroot25 for root.

Use auto-rec for TWRP. Then follow unlock methods to use gsm carriers. Just know you will only get hspa. As the phone has different radios

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk
 
4ringsa6
Old
#3  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 74
Join Date: Apr 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by secret.animal View Post
Use ioroot25 for root.

Use auto-rec for TWRP. Then follow unlock methods to use gsm carriers. Just know you will only get hspa. As the phone has different radios

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk
OK thanks. Auto rec is to get it out of a bricked state? Yes I am aware of no lte.

Also is this a factory unlock? Will I lose it if I need to do a restore to stock rom unrooted?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
secret.animal
Old
(Last edited by secret.animal; 9th May 2014 at 06:47 PM.)
#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 546
Posts: 1,006
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Lake Villa
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ringsa6 View Post
OK thanks. Auto rec is to get it out of a bricked state? Yes I am aware of no lte.

Also is this a factory unlock? Will I lose it if I need to do a restore to stock rom unrooted?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Auto-rec will install TWRP recovery. Unlock boot loader and give kernel that works with it.
With recovery you can backup and restore if something goes wrong.


http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2655133
This thread speaks about permanently unlocking Sim card. In which T-Mobile uses. Read up on it.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes