Lockdown Pro 2 Brings Material Design and Media Support

Back in March of this year, we took a look at a rather innovated security application … more

Mural Watchface Brings 500px to Android Wear

On a traditional watch, you can’t really do too much to change its appearance once … more

Android 5.0 Favorite Features, Release November 3rd? – XDA TV

Google Confirms Android 5.0 Lollipop for November 3rd! That and much more … more

Prepare Your Build Machines: Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn Now Official

Today is an important day for any and all Linux enthusiasts. One of the … more

[Q] CM11 installation without root?

OP JTHM

2nd May 2014, 10:46 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Northants
Thanks Meter: 11

225 posts
More
Hi folks,

Some months ago I was finding my TF700 to be little more use than a place mat so installed CM10.2. I did this as guided by following the official Cyanogenmod installation guide. This left me with an unlocked and rooted TF700 installed with CWM and CM10.2 Stable. Since then I've updated to CM11 nightlies and been pretty much as happy as a pig in s$%t, but recently I've been realising the few limitations that are imposed on my rooted device by certain app developers - namely my bank and Sky.

I've tried every method I dare short of returning my TF700 to stock (and watching it quickly become a place mat again) to get my internet banking apps and Sky Go Tablet working on it but nothing has worked.

There is obviously no bullet-proof way of fully unrooting to get these apps working without loosing CM11. Was/Is there a way of installing CM11 on the TF700 without needing to have rooted it?

Is Cyanogenmod working on a way for simpleton users like me to properly unroot their devices once CM is installed or installing CM without needing to root?

A point I made on the CM forum is that the Cyanogenmod team have talked about CM becoming a genuine option as an alternative Android OS. However, until CM can be installed without root access or with root access being either completely rescinded or 100% hidden from such apps it will remain an 'enthusiast-only' OS as most 'normal' users won't see the benefit of loosing this functionality in favour of running CM. I'm an 'enthusiastic user' and even I am left questioning it.

It seems my holy grail would be a TF700/TF701 Google Play Edition.
Last edited by JTHM; 2nd May 2014 at 11:07 AM.
2nd May 2014, 06:39 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Kenilworth, Coventry
Thanks Meter: 13,126

11,639 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTHM

Hi folks,

Some months ago I was finding my TF700 to be little more use than a place mat so installed CM10.2. I did this as guided by following the official Cyanogenmod installation guide. This left me with an unlocked and rooted TF700 installed with CWM and CM10.2 Stable. Since then I've updated to CM11 nightlies and been pretty much as happy as a pig in s$%t, but recently I've been realising the few limitations that are imposed on my rooted device by certain app developers - namely my bank and Sky.

I've tried every method I dare short of returning my TF700 to stock (and watching it quickly become a place mat again) to get my internet banking apps and Sky Go Tablet working on it but nothing has worked.

There is obviously no bullet-proof way of fully unrooting to get these apps working without loosing CM11. Was/Is there a way of installing CM11 on the TF700 without needing to have rooted it?

Is Cyanogenmod working on a way for simpleton users like me to properly unroot their devices once CM is installed or installing CM without needing to root?

A point I made on the CM forum is that the Cyanogenmod team have talked about CM becoming a genuine option as an alternative Android OS. However, until CM can be installed without root access or with root access being either completely rescinded or 100% hidden from such apps it will remain an 'enthusiast-only' OS as most 'normal' users won't see the benefit of loosing this functionality in favour of running CM. I'm an 'enthusiastic user' and even I am left questioning it.

It seems my holy grail would be a TF700/TF701 Google Play Edition.

Rooting is not the issue. PM me and I can help get sky-go working
9th May 2014, 10:28 AM   |  #3  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Liverpool, Merseyside
Thanks Meter: 3,109

13,371 posts
More
I want to know the EXACT same thing as Sky Go is the only app I use that doesn't work on a rooted phone so I run stock (which actually suits me fine but I like to have the option to go custom)
9th May 2014, 10:41 AM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Northants
Thanks Meter: 11

225 posts
More
There doesn't seem to be a solution. Though sdbags did what he could, he couldn't make my Sky Go or banking apps work on CM.

IMHO, CM remains a "nerds only" plaything. Ready for mainstream it is not.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
9th May 2014, 01:13 PM   |  #5  
Recognized Contributor

13,371 posts
More
Quote:

There doesn't seem to be a solution. Though sdbags did what he could, he couldn't make my Sky Go or banking apps work on CM.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

It does seem Sky wrote the Sky Go app at a kernel level so it does deep checks for root access. Funny how BT Sport don't give a crap about root!

There is a CM11 build coming on the OnePlus One which doesn't have root out the box (CM11S) so it'll be interesting whether this comes to other devices or not...
9th May 2014, 06:33 PM   |  #6  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 2,471

3,486 posts
More
Quote:

Stock Android is definitely a better ad and content delivery platform. Users who have control over their own device are not welcome in this picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyOS

It does seem Sky wrote the Sky Go app at a kernel level so it does deep checks for root access.

So that means that the app itself needs root access?
9th May 2014, 06:45 PM   |  #7  
Recognized Contributor

13,371 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by _that

Stock Android is definitely a better ad and content delivery platform. Users who have control over their own device are not welcome in this picture.

So that means that the app itself needs root access?

This is from the Xposed module 'RootCloak' (http://repo.xposed.info/module/com.devadvance.rootcloak) listing apps that don't work with it...

App: Sky Go - BSkyB - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...om.bskyb.skygo
Method: Most likely detects root via native library (built with Android NDK). Unsure of exact method, but the Java portion of the app contains "VGDRM_STATUS_DEVICE_IS_ROOTED = -41942891", and based on the library name, it's a safe bet.
Relevant Files: libvgc.so

Maybe not kernel level, but enough for the app to not work but could one day provide a hint on what to look at...

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
cm11, cwm, cyanogenmod, sky go, unroot
Previous Thread Next Thread