Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,684 Members 47,970 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] CM11 installation without root?

Tip us?

JTHM
Old
(Last edited by JTHM; 2nd May 2014 at 11:07 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Default [Q] CM11 installation without root?

Hi folks,

Some months ago I was finding my TF700 to be little more use than a place mat so installed CM10.2. I did this as guided by following the official Cyanogenmod installation guide. This left me with an unlocked and rooted TF700 installed with CWM and CM10.2 Stable. Since then I've updated to CM11 nightlies and been pretty much as happy as a pig in s$%t, but recently I've been realising the few limitations that are imposed on my rooted device by certain app developers - namely my bank and Sky.

I've tried every method I dare short of returning my TF700 to stock (and watching it quickly become a place mat again) to get my internet banking apps and Sky Go Tablet working on it but nothing has worked.

There is obviously no bullet-proof way of fully unrooting to get these apps working without loosing CM11. Was/Is there a way of installing CM11 on the TF700 without needing to have rooted it?

Is Cyanogenmod working on a way for simpleton users like me to properly unroot their devices once CM is installed or installing CM without needing to root?

A point I made on the CM forum is that the Cyanogenmod team have talked about CM becoming a genuine option as an alternative Android OS. However, until CM can be installed without root access or with root access being either completely rescinded or 100% hidden from such apps it will remain an 'enthusiast-only' OS as most 'normal' users won't see the benefit of loosing this functionality in favour of running CM. I'm an 'enthusiastic user' and even I am left questioning it.

It seems my holy grail would be a TF700/TF701 Google Play Edition.
Cheers,
JT
.....runs with scissors - NO FEAR!

Nokia 1610 > Nokia 6110 > Nokia 5110 > Nokia 7110 (The 'Matrix' Phone - still got a brand new, unopened one of these!) > Nokia 6310 > Nokia 7210 > Orange SPV E200 (HTC Voyager)> Orange SPV C500 (HTC Typhoon)> Orange SPV M2000 (HTC Blue Angel)> Orange M3100 (HTC Hermes/Black Majik ROM) > HTC Touch HD > HTC Desire > Google Nexus S > Google Nexus 4

sbdags
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 12,919

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTHM View Post
Hi folks,

Some months ago I was finding my TF700 to be little more use than a place mat so installed CM10.2. I did this as guided by following the official Cyanogenmod installation guide. This left me with an unlocked and rooted TF700 installed with CWM and CM10.2 Stable. Since then I've updated to CM11 nightlies and been pretty much as happy as a pig in s$%t, but recently I've been realising the few limitations that are imposed on my rooted device by certain app developers - namely my bank and Sky.

I've tried every method I dare short of returning my TF700 to stock (and watching it quickly become a place mat again) to get my internet banking apps and Sky Go Tablet working on it but nothing has worked.

There is obviously no bullet-proof way of fully unrooting to get these apps working without loosing CM11. Was/Is there a way of installing CM11 on the TF700 without needing to have rooted it?

Is Cyanogenmod working on a way for simpleton users like me to properly unroot their devices once CM is installed or installing CM without needing to root?

A point I made on the CM forum is that the Cyanogenmod team have talked about CM becoming a genuine option as an alternative Android OS. However, until CM can be installed without root access or with root access being either completely rescinded or 100% hidden from such apps it will remain an 'enthusiast-only' OS as most 'normal' users won't see the benefit of loosing this functionality in favour of running CM. I'm an 'enthusiastic user' and even I am left questioning it.

It seems my holy grail would be a TF700/TF701 Google Play Edition.
Rooting is not the issue. PM me and I can help get sky-go working

EddyOS
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,046
I want to know the EXACT same thing as Sky Go is the only app I use that doesn't work on a rooted phone so I run stock (which actually suits me fine but I like to have the option to go custom)
OnePlus One A0001 (Sandstone Grey) 64GB
ROM: CyanogenMod 11S (XNPH33R) | Bootloader: Stock | Recovery: Stock | Radio: Stock | Kernel: Stock

Google Nexus 5 D821 (Black) 32GB
ROM: Android 4.4.4 (KTU84P) | Bootloader: HHZ11K | Recovery: Stock | Radio: 2.0.50.1.16 | Kernel: Stock

If you have a question, great - but DO NOT PM ME WITH IT!!! | [GUIDE] Return your EU M8 to 100% Stock (S-OFF Required) | [GUIDE] Return your OPO to 100% Stock

JTHM
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
There doesn't seem to be a solution. Though sdbags did what he could, he couldn't make my Sky Go or banking apps work on CM.

IMHO, CM remains a "nerds only" plaything. Ready for mainstream it is not.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Cheers,
JT
.....runs with scissors - NO FEAR!

Nokia 1610 > Nokia 6110 > Nokia 5110 > Nokia 7110 (The 'Matrix' Phone - still got a brand new, unopened one of these!) > Nokia 6310 > Nokia 7210 > Orange SPV E200 (HTC Voyager)> Orange SPV C500 (HTC Typhoon)> Orange SPV M2000 (HTC Blue Angel)> Orange M3100 (HTC Hermes/Black Majik ROM) > HTC Touch HD > HTC Desire > Google Nexus S > Google Nexus 4

EddyOS
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,046
Quote:
There doesn't seem to be a solution. Though sdbags did what he could, he couldn't make my Sky Go or banking apps work on CM.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
It does seem Sky wrote the Sky Go app at a kernel level so it does deep checks for root access. Funny how BT Sport don't give a crap about root!

There is a CM11 build coming on the OnePlus One which doesn't have root out the box (CM11S) so it'll be interesting whether this comes to other devices or not...
ROM: CyanogenMod 11S (XNPH33R) | Bootloader: Stock | Recovery: Stock | Radio: Stock | Kernel: Stock

ROM: Android 4.4.4 (KTU84P) | Bootloader: HHZ11K | Recovery: Stock | Radio: 2.0.50.1.16 | Kernel: Stock

If you have a question, great - but DO NOT PM ME WITH IT!!! | [GUIDE] Return your EU M8 to 100% Stock (S-OFF Required) | [GUIDE] Return your OPO to 100% Stock

_that
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,410
Quote:
Stock Android is definitely a better ad and content delivery platform. Users who have control over their own device are not welcome in this picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyOS View Post
It does seem Sky wrote the Sky Go app at a kernel level so it does deep checks for root access.
So that means that the app itself needs root access?

EddyOS
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by _that View Post
Stock Android is definitely a better ad and content delivery platform. Users who have control over their own device are not welcome in this picture.

So that means that the app itself needs root access?
This is from the Xposed module 'RootCloak' (http://repo.xposed.info/module/com.devadvance.rootcloak) listing apps that don't work with it...

App: Sky Go - BSkyB - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...om.bskyb.skygo
Method: Most likely detects root via native library (built with Android NDK). Unsure of exact method, but the Java portion of the app contains "VGDRM_STATUS_DEVICE_IS_ROOTED = -41942891", and based on the library name, it's a safe bet.
Relevant Files: libvgc.so

Maybe not kernel level, but enough for the app to not work but could one day provide a hint on what to look at...

Tags
cm11, cwm, cyanogenmod, sky go, unroot