Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,151 Members 51,023 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] About the upcoming OTA

Tip us?

brian_199
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] About the upcoming OTA

I've heard rumors that we will be receiving 4.4.2. I was wondering if there's any chance that we'll be rootable after this update.

teerout
Old
Thanks Meter 4
ive heard that every time a bell rings, an angel gets its wings.
Some is good, more is better, too much is just enough.
-Old engine builder from Buffalo

Jumnhy
Old
(Last edited by Jumnhy; 10th May 2014 at 05:38 PM.) Reason: Apparently I never actually finished my post before
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_199 View Post
I've heard rumors that we will be receiving 4.4.2. I was wondering if there's any chance that we'll be rootable after this update.
Yeah, so umm... that's not going to happen. I mean, ****, we can hope and dream and whatnot, but I seriously doubt it. They'd have to open up a new update

EDIT:
I meant to say, the new firmware would have to open up a new exploit somewhere, and since 4.4.2 doesn't have any known exploits for any other platforms, I don't think it'll happen for us either.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jumnhy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Teksu
Old
Thanks Meter 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_199 View Post
Moto X DE here
when we got the update, some who were rooted with slapmymoto were able to keep "root" when taking the OTA, however the update re-enabled write-protection which means most of what root is good for is lost.

Some people report that they can use xposed modules with soft-reboots, but if you do a hard reboot you will have to re-install the framework and soft-reboot to get it back working.

If you want root and currently have it, block the update. (unless you have unlocked the boot-loader when it was previously available from 3rd parties, then you can ignore this post)
The Following User Says Thank You to Teksu For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]