FORUMS

XDA Picks: Best Apps of the Week (May 15 – 30)

Apps are at the front and center of any smartphone experience, and with over a … more

Google No Longer Sending Calendar SMS Notifications

In a not entirely surprising move, Google announced that it’s putting an … more

Enable Multi-Window Mode on M Developer Preview

What was not mentioned in yeterday’s keynote was Android M’s multi-window … more

I/O Summary: Google Cardboard Virtual Reality

One year ago, Google introduced cardboard. Amazingly enough, that was all it took to fire … more

[Q] KNOX Research

Thanks Meter: 3
 
By nubsgohard, Member on 7th May 2014, 04:36 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Hello all, I have been wondering about all of this KNOX stuff. I understand what it does and that once you flag it you can "never" go back, and that your warranty is voided... BUT I hope there is people (with a much greater understanding than I) looking into this.

Resetting your KNOX count to 0x0 after you install a custom OS.
I don't know about you all, but I like the saying "never say never".

There is not a thread that I saw concerning knox on the S5, so why not start one now? Who has tripped KNOX on their S5?
Has there been any cases where although you rooted and flashed a rom, your KNOX count stayed at 0x0?
 
 
7th May 2014, 11:18 PM |#2  
daxecutioner24's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 113
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nubsgohard

Hello all, I have been wondering about all of this KNOX stuff. I understand what it does and that once you flag it you can "never" go back, and that your warranty is voided... BUT I hope there is people (with a much greater understanding than I) looking into this.

Resetting your KNOX count to 0x0 after you install a custom OS.
I don't know about you all, but I like the saying "never say never".

There is not a thread that I saw concerning knox on the S5, so why not start one now? Who has tripped KNOX on their S5?
Has there been any cases where although you rooted and flashed a rom, your KNOX count stayed at 0x0?

Everyone has tripped their knox counter. there has been recent developments I believe on the note 3 side of things. Ways to undo it to my understanding. More importantly it kinda let's go of the thought that it was a fuse, hardware issue. Looking more like a software, it's possible. Who knows when or if ever comes here

Sent from my SM-G900T using XDA Free mobile app
8th May 2014, 01:26 AM |#3  
em0ney14's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 361
 
More
Check this. ..

http://androidcommunity.com/samsung-...-2-0-20140507/

Hmmm

Sent from my rooted 'beaned' SM-G900T using Tapatalk Premium
8th May 2014, 02:42 AM |#4  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by daxecutioner24

Everyone has tripped their knox counter. there has been recent developments I believe on the note 3 side of things. Ways to undo it to my understanding. More importantly it kinda let's go of the thought that it was a fuse, hardware issue. Looking more like a software, it's possible. Who knows when or if ever comes here

Sent from my SM-G900T using XDA Free mobile app

Interesting. I dont think it is hardware related either. I think it will be found out sooner or later.

Sent from my SM-G900T using XDA Free mobile app
8th May 2014, 07:45 PM |#5  
Reynaldinho111's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Cary, NC
Thanks Meter: 399
 
More
Odds are its permanent. After reading some posts from the big, recognized kernel devs, it seems like its an eFuse that gets blown when knox is tripped. The only way to fix a blown fuse is to replace it. The progress they made on the note 3 will likely have nothing to do with us, it seems the exynos has a different implementation of knox than qualcomm.

Sent from my SM-G900T
8th May 2014, 09:17 PM |#6  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynaldinho111

Odds are its permanent. After reading some posts from the big, recognized kernel devs, it seems like its an eFuse that gets blown when knox is tripped. The only way to fix a blown fuse is to replace it. The progress they made on the note 3 will likely have nothing to do with us, it seems the exynos has a different implementation of knox than qualcomm.

Sent from my SM-G900T

Oh okay, I hope that isnt the case. So if it is a fuse, it can be replaced... is that an option if you want it reset?

Sent from my SM-G900T using XDA Free mobile app
8th May 2014, 09:26 PM |#7  
xda23's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 154
 
More
Basically all Knox does is just void your devices warranty? I tripped my Knox counter on my Gs4 and I still did a warranty replacement with no problems.Im a little confused here about Knox could someone please explain a little bit. Thanks In advance!!!

Sent from my SM-G900T
9th May 2014, 01:19 AM |#8  
Reynaldinho111's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Cary, NC
Thanks Meter: 399
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nubsgohard

Oh okay, I hope that isnt the case. So if it is a fuse, it can be replaced... is that an option if you want it reset?

I guess its possible if it's a hardware fuse, although it'll be damn hard. The alternative is its some sort of deeply embedded kernel partition type thing (im clearly not a developer ) that only samsung signed pckages can write to. I think our best bet would be to find a way to bypass the knox check at boot and find a way to "trick" the kernel into thinking its not tripped, you following? Again im not a developer so i dont know if this is even a legitimate possibility.

Sent from my SM-G900T

---------- Post added at 08:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:17 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by xda23

Basically all Knox does is just void your devices warranty? I tripped my Knox counter on my Gs4 and I still did a warranty replacement with no problems.Im a little confused here about Knox could someone please explain a little bit. Thanks In advance!!!

Sent from my SM-G900T

Knox is implemented differently in the two devices. My understanding is that in the S4 it was provided in an OTA update and is software based. It seems like its Hardware based on the S5.

Sent from my SM-G900T
The Following User Says Thank You to Reynaldinho111 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th May 2014, 08:41 PM |#9  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
More
Interesting article on KNOX, it states that it is implemented in the hardware as well as the software.

http://www.samsungmobilepress.com/20...-secure-BYOD-1
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in T-Mobile Galaxy S 5 Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting by ThreadRank