Cyngn, OnePlus, Micromax – The Legal Battle

Recently, a battle has been waging in India over the rights to distribute the commercial … more

Lean Mean Battery Power Saving App Review

We talk a lot about battery topics here at XDA TV. We talk about everything from Power Banks to USB … more

Android 5.1 Possibly Coming February 2015

Google released Android 5.0 just over a month ago, and since then Lollipop has been trying to … more

Double Tap to Wake on the Nexus 6 Without Root

A few weeks ago, we featured an app which allowed the Nexus 6 to regain the double tap to wake … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] New galaxy note 3 4G not working please help.

OP Kawdam91

8th May 2014, 09:39 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
Hi,

I have a mobile phone contract with 3 ( Three ) network in the UK and i had a Galaxy S3 which i sold today and part ex'd towards a new Samsung Galaxy Note 3 SM-N9005, the phone is unlocked and i updated to the latest 4.4.2 firmware with a small stability update about 29MB after the main install had finished.

I can see under the mobile network options LTE/WCDMA/GSM is set to auto connect does this sound correct?

I am only getting 3G H+ and i am in a 4G ready area, i have rang 3 and they have said that everything checks out and my sim is LTE activated and they don't understand why it does not work the only thing they can do is ring me back tomorrow due to me being at work and try my sim in other 4G phones like my sisters HTC One Mini and my Mums Xperia Z which are both O2 unlocked phones.

Is there anything i can do to get the 4G activated i will be seriously annoyed if they turn round and say due to your phone not being from 3 you cannot use our 4G network as i have unlimited tethering and need 4G as my upgrade for internet on my laptop plus it cost me a bomb buying this phone out right.

Thanks.
9th May 2014, 04:55 PM   |  #2  
Flag Liverpool
Thanks Meter: 146

463 posts
More
When you first set up the phone did you have to choose a mobile network? Also try checking more networks/Mobile networks/check data is checked and/or go to access point names and check if you have a three apn.
9th May 2014, 05:36 PM   |  #3  
Flag Liverpool UK
Thanks Meter: 22

72 posts
More
I'm with 3. Where did you get the N3 from? I found that mine was originally from United Emirates (although sold as European model on Amazon Marketplace... never again... anyway) and although it said 4G was available and the phone was set to receive it I actually had to flash the polish rom for the thing to connect to 4G. (see below as yours may just need an APN tweak)

Here's my APN settings that work:

Name: 3

APN: three.co.uk

Proxy:

Not set

Port:

Not set

Username:

Not set

Password:

Not set

Server:

Not set

MMSC:

http://mms.um.three.co.uk:10021/mmsc

MMS proxy:

MMS port:

MCC:

MNC:

Authentication type:

None

APN type:

not set

APN protocol:

IPv4

APN roaming protocol:

IPv4

Enable/disable APN:

APN enabled

Bearer:

Not specified

Mobile virtual network type

None

I suspect there's a setting amiss so try the above first, I doubt you need to flast your handset. I was just impatient and I also have to be in the city centre for 4G to work, it's still a bit sporadic despite what the coverage checker says
9th May 2014, 08:15 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member

3 posts
Thank you both for the replies,

The mobile is from CEX i got a good deal on trade ins towards the phone plus a decent voucher for my S3 the phone was pricey but after a bad experience on Gumtree i try to buy as legit as possible, i will check my settings to yours thanks for taking the time to type that up for me.

I have an update on the issue i noticed that i do have 4G but the signal is so so weak that when the 4G is on which is very rare there are zero bars of reception and it runs at like dial up speeds, i also think the coverage checker is lying to me also should of waited to upgrade and saved the money did not realise 4G was still in a poor state.

Thanks.
10th May 2014, 12:38 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 11

141 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawdam91

Thank you both for the replies,

The mobile is from CEX i got a good deal on trade ins towards the phone plus a decent voucher for my S3 the phone was pricey but after a bad experience on Gumtree i try to buy as legit as possible, i will check my settings to yours thanks for taking the time to type that up for me.

I have an update on the issue i noticed that i do have 4G but the signal is so so weak that when the 4G is on which is very rare there are zero bars of reception and it runs at like dial up speeds, i also think the coverage checker is lying to me also should of waited to upgrade and saved the money did not realise 4G was still in a poor state.

Thanks.

Hi, I am on the same network and I only got 4G in a few limited areas.

I took the plunge yesterday and reflashed my phone with a custom boot loader and ROM (Carbonrom) and then noticed I was only getting LTE....technically LTE = 4G but that's not quite true with Three networks.

What I did to fix this was to pull out the Modem.bin file from a legit KitKat 4.4.2 Samsung image and then repackage it as a tar.md5 file. I then used Odin 3.09 to flash the modem file to the phone and this seems to have done the trick - speeds are acceptable now.

---------- Post added at 11:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 PM ----------

Just did a speedtest (this is after applying the UK Samsung Modem package):

The above look good, typical of a 4G network (coincidently I only ever see 1 bar)
10th May 2014, 01:39 AM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member

3 posts
My Settings as follow:

Name

APN
Three.co.uk

Proxy
Not Set

Port
Not Set

Username
Not Set

Password
Not Set

Server
Not Set

MMSC
mms.um.three.co.uk:10021/mmsc

MMS Proxy
mms.three.co.uk

MMS Port

MCC

MNC

Authentication Type
PAP

APN Type
default,mms,supl

APN Protocol
IPv4

APN Roaming Protocol
IPv4

Enable/Disable APN
APN Enabled

Bearer
Unspecified

Mobile Virtual Network Operator Type
None

Mobile Virtual Network Operator Value

There will be a slight learning curve with the flashing roms etc that you mentioned no doubt it is not that hard to do though, the speed test on my phone gets between 5 and 10mbps on H+ 3G with 0.5-2mbps upload when USB tethering though i get around 50kbps and 300kbps download and speed test from laptop is 60-120ping with 1-8mbps Download with 0.5-1mbps.
Last edited by Kawdam91; 10th May 2014 at 11:49 PM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread