Post Reply

Cracked Glass on my mdk

9th May 2014, 04:18 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Flag Chicago
Thanks Meter: 4
 
27 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
More
Well guys it was a windy day in Chicago and a paper bag hit me in the face and I dropped my phone. My s4 has the MDK bootloader, and after research and it seems that if I send my phone in to samasung I'm sure I'm I'm sure to get a locked bootloader back- m_k 2 version or other. The glass facture is minimal and is not interfere with the digitizer and has not discolored anything on lcd/ amolded screen. The phone functions perfectly.

I don't want to send it to Samsung for glass replacement because they'll give me a locked bootloader. Ive heard at least.

Ive researched and the front glass is extremely difficult to replace without damaging the digitizer apparently n hard not to pull up the LCD which would cause me to have to buy the whole screen replacement digitizer and LCD included. 200 bucks.

Option a: send the phone to samsung for a screen replacement 200 bucks risk getting a locked bootloader.

Option b: replace the phone to my phone insurance possibly get a locked bootloader.

Replace the front glass myself and if I mess up about $200 and have to get a whole new LCD and then hope I can connect it.

Anyone ever replaced front glass before and the s4? The Loca glue way

Advise anyone?

This is a longshot but is it possible for me to create a boot image of my bootloader an odin it back via some workaround... if I get a new phone?

Or I could just live with the cracks in the screen but I'm afraid it's going to get worse. Front glass is $7 on amazon.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
9th May 2014, 04:51 PM   |  #2  
Junior Member
Flag Glen Allen
Thanks Meter: 3
 
19 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2014
More
Reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by u4icpain

Well guys it was a windy day in Chicago and a paper bag hit me in the face and I dropped my phone. My s4 has the MDK bootloader, and after research and it seems that if I send my phone in to samasung I'm sure I'm I'm sure to get a locked bootloader back- m_k 2 version or other. The glass facture is minimal and is not interfere with the digitizer and has not discolored anything on lcd/ amolded screen. The phone functions perfectly.

I don't want to send it to Samsung for glass replacement because they'll give me a locked bootloader. Ive heard at least.

Ive researched and the front glass is extremely difficult to replace without damaging the digitizer apparently n hard not to pull up the LCD which would cause me to have to buy the whole screen replacement digitizer and LCD included. 200 bucks.

Option a: send the phone to samsung for a screen replacement 200 bucks risk getting a locked bootloader.

Option b: replace the phone to my phone insurance possibly get a locked bootloader.

Replace the front glass myself and if I mess up about $200 and have to get a whole new LCD and then hope I can connect it.

Anyone ever replaced front glass before and the s4? The Loca glue way

Advise anyone?

This is a longshot but is it possible for me to create a boot image of my bootloader an odin it back via some workaround... if I get a new phone?

Or I could just live with the cracks in the screen but I'm afraid it's going to get worse. Front glass is $7 on amazon.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Okay I have had this before. If you want to make it so it doesn't seem like it has been rooted at least, I recommend you either do a no wipe or a full wipe with odin, and that should remove the root and everything to stock firmware. The only reason samsung does that is that you have your phone rooted, but with this, you may have a chance in becoming undetectable. This fix is extremely easy if you follow the instructions.

You can find this fix on the link below:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2578209

Also, if they reject that, the only possible workaround is going to a shop and replacing the glass or to go to the Verizon store and probably get a new phone or have to pay 300 dollars for another one.

Let me know if this helps!
Last edited by mcbeat257; 9th May 2014 at 04:56 PM. Reason: slight change
9th May 2014, 06:10 PM   |  #3  
Senior Member
Flag California
Thanks Meter: 301
 
1,024 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2007
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by u4icpain

Well guys it was a windy day in Chicago and a paper bag hit me in the face and I dropped my phone. My s4 has the MDK bootloader, and after research and it seems that if I send my phone in to samasung I'm sure I'm I'm sure to get a locked bootloader back- m_k 2 version or other. The glass facture is minimal and is not interfere with the digitizer and has not discolored anything on lcd/ amolded screen. The phone functions perfectly.

I don't want to send it to Samsung for glass replacement because they'll give me a locked bootloader. Ive heard at least.

Ive researched and the front glass is extremely difficult to replace without damaging the digitizer apparently n hard not to pull up the LCD which would cause me to have to buy the whole screen replacement digitizer and LCD included. 200 bucks.

Option a: send the phone to samsung for a screen replacement 200 bucks risk getting a locked bootloader.

Option b: replace the phone to my phone insurance possibly get a locked bootloader.

Replace the front glass myself and if I mess up about $200 and have to get a whole new LCD and then hope I can connect it.

Anyone ever replaced front glass before and the s4? The Loca glue way

Advise anyone?

This is a longshot but is it possible for me to create a boot image of my bootloader an odin it back via some workaround... if I get a new phone?

Or I could just live with the cracks in the screen but I'm afraid it's going to get worse. Front glass is $7 on amazon.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Option 4:
There are companies that replace the screen for not much more than the deductible from Verizon.
Google "smartphone repair" for your area.

I would not send it in to Verizon or Samsung for repair.
There is no guarantee you will get the same device back.

Also your long shot won't work.
If it would work, there would not be the people lamenting over how to unlock a bootloader.
9th May 2014, 06:18 PM   |  #4  
joshm.1219's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Philadelphia
Thanks Meter: 1,387
 
3,238 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2013
More
At what angle did the paper bag hit your face?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
9th May 2014, 07:35 PM   |  #5  
Mistertac's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Springfield, Ma
Thanks Meter: 1,670
 
3,489 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2013
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshm.1219

At what angle did the paper bag hit your face?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Josh I was thinking the same thing... More details on the paper bag incident itself could yield better results.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mistertac For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th May 2014, 07:40 PM   |  #6  
joshm.1219's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Philadelphia
Thanks Meter: 1,387
 
3,238 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertac

Josh I was thinking the same thing... More details on the paper bag incident itself could yield better results.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Yes, yes, that's just plain science.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
9th May 2014, 11:03 PM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member
Flag Chicago
Thanks Meter: 4
 
27 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
More
I will just say it took me few moments to realize it was a paper bag not a throwing star wielded by a ninja. We have some ninja problems in Chicago here.

I do appreciate the help guys , one more question I know my warranty is void by rooting my phone however in the past I have just odin back to stock firmware before sending it to insurance to replace . If I tried to replace the screen myself, would that also void any physical damage warranty cuz I opened the phone up myself? basically what I'm asking is if I took my phone apart would it be easy for them to tell if I mess up the screen replacement right?

This is my only worry because I know they don't really check flash counters but I'm thinking they would able to see if its been tampered with...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to u4icpain For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th May 2014, 12:51 AM   |  #8  
joshm.1219's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Philadelphia
Thanks Meter: 1,387
 
3,238 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by u4icpain

I will just say it took me few moments to realize it was a paper bag not a throwing star wielded by a ninja. We have some ninja problems in Chicago here.

I do appreciate the help guys , one more question I know my warranty is void by rooting my phone however in the past I have just odin back to stock firmware before sending it to insurance to replace . If I tried to replace the screen myself, would that also void any physical damage warranty cuz I opened the phone up myself? basically what I'm asking is if I took my phone apart would it be easy for them to tell if I mess up the screen replacement right?

This is my only worry because I know they don't really check flash counters but I'm thinking they would able to see if its been tampered with...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Warranty will be void if you try removing the screen yourself and if you mess it up, obviously depending on how exactly you mess it up, they'll definitely be able to tell. That's the risk of the time/money saved by doing it yourself.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Top Threads in Verizon Samsung Galaxy S 4 Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting by ThreadRank