Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,443 Members 39,483 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Looking for simplest ROM with newer stylus features

Tip us?

cloudcover
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Looking for simplest ROM with newer stylus features

Hi -

For a long time, I had my Note 2 with the standard Verizon ROM that was on it when I first bought it a couple of years ago. But I had rooted it, unlocked it, and put on a custom launcher (Nova). A couple of months ago, I started receiving a notice for an OTA download of a new Verizon update. I read online that I should avoid that (since my phone was rooted) and should instead wait until it was available online and then flash it instead. After waiting a few weeks, I noticed that there were a few custom ROMs based on that new Samsung ROM and I ended up installing/flashing the N3BULA ROM.

I very much love the new version of S Note (especially it's integration with Evernote) and the new Air Command functionality. Other than those two things, though, there's isn't much in the N3BULA ROM that I really need/desire. On the flip side, though, I'm finding that my battery life has gone WAY DOWN compared to my previous (basically stock) ROM. And I find that my phone reboots 2-3 times per day and generally feels less snappy.

So, I'm looking for suggestions on what would provide me with the newer version of S Note and the Air Command function, and otherwise give me the best battery life and snappiest performance. I don't need tons of other bells/whistles/customizations. Any suggestions/help?

Thanks in advance!

EddieK23
Old
Thanks Meter 5
If your Note 2 doesn't have the MJ9 firmware as of yet, you should try SkyNote Air. Personally, I think it works faster and smoother than N3bula and has a few more features that are absent in N3bula. The only problem is if you are on MJ9 already, it means you have a locked bootloader (which no-one has found a way to unlock), which means you'll have to use SafeStrap. The problem with that is you won't be able to use wifi because you'll need to flash MJ9 firmware afterwards to make wifi work.

If you don't have MJ9, you are really lucky since you can successfully run SkyNote Air without any problems unlike some people (like myself), and by all means should at least try SkyNote Air. Otherwise, stick with N3bula as it's the closest you'll get to having Note 3 stylus feature.

If you want to try another ROM entirely, try Ditto Note 3. You'll need an unlocked bootloader though.

Best of luck, mate.