Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,543 Members 37,316 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Help! TF201 in weird state

Tip us?

eds72
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Help! TF201 in weird state

I decided to make the jump from HB 2.31 to crombi-kk and have managed to paint myself into a corner.

I attempted to flash the updated 2.6.3 TWRP via fastboot which seemed to go fine. However, when I entered recovery, it was apparent that the resolution did not match - probably 30% of the screen was cut off. What I could see and touch worked fine to navigate, but I could not get to many of the settings and controls.

At this point I could still boot into HB fine. I re-downloaded TWRP 2.6.3 for the TF201 and again flashed via fastboot. I was then able to boot into a proper looking TWRP, but was immediately presented with a "please enter password" prompt. I can cancel, but once inside of TWRP I see that it is not mounting any of the filesystems.

I can still boot into HB fine and everything in there appears to work. I tried dropping TWRP back to 2.5 (where I was pre-update) but just get the same "enter password" prompt. At this point I am stuck; I've searched for a couple hours and am not finding anything that jumps out at me as a solution. I am hopeful someone else has been in this predicament and found a way out.

Any help is appreciated!

kokopuphz
Old
Thanks Meter 82
I believe your cache partition is formatted incorrectly to ext3 for some odd reason or another. Can you simply ignore the password prompt, and wipe the /cache partition?

Sent from my SO-04E using XDA Free mobile app

eds72
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokopuphz View Post
I believe your cache partition is formatted incorrectly to ext3 for some odd reason or another. Can you simply ignore the password prompt, and wipe the /cache partition?
Unfortunately, no. It fails trying to wipe anything.

eds72
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Fixed! Big sigh of relief.

I am not entirely sure how I fouled it up to begin with, but I think I got crossed up when renaming .blob and .img files I had downloaded. I stepped back and started over. Once I flashed back to the correct HB versioned TWRP, the password message went away and I could see my partitions. From there I flashed TWRP 2.7 and crombi-kk!

flumpster
Old
Thanks Meter 2526

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by eds72 View Post
Fixed! Big sigh of relief.

I am not entirely sure how I fouled it up to begin with, but I think I got crossed up when renaming .blob and .img files I had downloaded. I stepped back and started over. Once I flashed back to the correct HB versioned TWRP, the password message went away and I could see my partitions. From there I flashed TWRP 2.7 and crombi-kk!
The first thing you did was flash a recovery meant for a TF700 which has a higher resolution than us. This is why it was only using part of the screen.

The next thing you messed up on, and you are really lucky here that you didn't hard brick it, is installed an official TWRP for the TF201 onto the Hairybean bootloader which requires the TF300 version of TWRP. This is why you had the password prompt and nothing was mountable as the partition tables are completely different between the bootloaders.

Big sigh of relief in an understatement

eds72
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by flumpster View Post
The first thing you did was flash a recovery meant for a TF700 which has a higher resolution than us. This is why it was only using part of the screen.

The next thing you messed up on, and you are really lucky here that you didn't hard brick it, is installed an official TWRP for the TF201 onto the Hairybean bootloader which requires the TF300 version of TWRP. This is why you had the password prompt and nothing was mountable as the partition tables are completely different between the bootloaders.

Big sigh of relief in an understatement
My lucky day I guess, maybe I'll go buy a lottery ticket.

I am up and running now, thanks to all for the pointers. I continue to read through the forums trying to see how I can squeeze the best performance from my old Prime. Obviously I can try different kernels, but I'm also intrigued by f2fs, ROM2SD and/or DATA2SD. I see general comments about performance improvements, and even some benchmarks from people who have done one or more of these. However, I am struggling to find any sort of quantified measure of performance increase. I know it won't be exact, but maybe someone has benchmarked before/after some of these tweaks??

I have a couple SanDisk Ultras (class 10) and am trying to decide if it's worth trying some of these other tweaks. Any input, or maybe pointers to some measurements of gains, would be very welcome!