Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,147 Members 49,112 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

GPS radio replacement?

Tip us?

siskiou
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default GPS radio replacement?

Can this be bought anywhere?
My note 3 is working great, except the GPS. From what I've read, the newer radio versions do a better job, and I've compared my phone's gps performance to newer ones in the stores, and it seems to be true.

My phone is still under Samsung warranty, but I don't want to send it in, and possibly receive a refurb with more problems.

I've opened up a friend's note 3 to replace the front camera and sensors, and it was straight forward and easy to do.

But I can't find a gps radio replacement anywhere.

Eric214
Old
Thanks Meter 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by siskiou View Post
Can this be bought anywhere?
My note 3 is working great, except the GPS. From what I've read, the newer radio versions do a better job, and I've compared my phone's gps performance to newer ones in the stores, and it seems to be true.

My phone is still under Samsung warranty, but I don't want to send it in, and possibly receive a refurb with more problems.

I've opened up a friend's note 3 to replace the front camera and sensors, and it was straight forward and easy to do.

But I can't find a gps radio replacement anywhere.
There are teardown vids on YouTube but since you already have opened up the Phone then you should already be familiar with the phone and just be able to replace it as well. Everything in the phone is modular. So unless the GPS is soddered onto the the main board, you should be able to just swap it out. The only thing being if you get a newer GPS, you may not have the correct firmware to either operate it or if it works you may just have the same issue being on your current firmware.

Since you can't find one anywhere, that leads me to think it may be part of the main board.
Current Phone

T-Mobile 32GB - Rooted Wicked v5 (TWRP 2.6.3.8)

Current Tablet
Galaxy Note 10.1 32GB 2014 Edition

Retired Phones
Galaxy S4 (VZW MDK) sold to pay for my Note 3
Droid Bionic - Traded for Note 3
Droid X - Now a WiFi phone.

dragonsamus
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Try downloading the app GPS Status and running it. I have GPS issues from time to time and that app always helps me get a lock on the satellites.

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Free mobile app
work hard, play harder