Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,344 Members 53,827 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Getting a different Galaxy S4

Tip us?
 
S1L3nTShaDoWz
Old
#1  
S1L3nTShaDoWz's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 41
Posts: 241
Join Date: Dec 2013
Default [Q] Getting a different Galaxy S4

I currently have a VZW Galaxy S4 on 4.3 with a locked bootloader and I'm literally sick of not being able to flash anything without some stupid bootloader related error. I'm curious if it's worth looking for one with 4.1.2 whether it be T-Mobile or some carrier I've never heard of before and buying it and selling my current one so I can do what I want to with my phone.

Worth it or a waste of time/money?
 
Shaftamle
Old
#2  
Shaftamle's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 3,366
Posts: 1,552
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Ellicott City

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by S1L3nTShaDoWz View Post
I currently have a VZW Galaxy S4 on 4.3 with a locked bootloader and I'm literally sick of not being able to flash anything without some stupid bootloader related error. I'm curious if it's worth looking for one with 4.1.2 whether it be T-Mobile or some carrier I've never heard of before and buying it and selling my current one so I can do what I want to with my phone.

Worth it or a waste of time/money?
The money part is up to you whether it's worth it or not. The only thing I can tell you is make sure the phone you're getting is not on new KitKat. I know someone that has a tmobile s4. Those can be rooted with recovery regardless of what Android version, however if its on KitKat and you try to flash anything it trips to Knox counter and voids warranty and there is no going back. It also prevents you from ever receiving OTA's again making resale value garbage. Consider another brand altogether. Look here: http://omegadroid.co/wanted-knox-void-warranty-0x1/

Sent from a Shaftamle Galaxy S4
"Thanks Button" is always appreciated!
http://mycolorscreen.com/Shaftamle/
Current Line Up
Samsung Galaxy S4- Verizon
ROM: Eclipse- 4.4.2


Check Out My Themed Google Keyboards Here!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Shaftamle For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
S1L3nTShaDoWz
Old
#3  
S1L3nTShaDoWz's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 41
Posts: 241
Join Date: Dec 2013
Default O.O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaftamle View Post
The money part is up to you whether it's worth it or not. The only thing I can tell you is make sure the phone you're getting is not on new KitKat. I know someone that has a tmobile s4. Those can be rooted with recovery regardless of what Android version, however if its on KitKat and you try to flash anything it trips to Knox counter and voids warranty and there is no going back. It also prevents you from ever receiving OTA's again making resale value garbage. Consider another brand altogether.

Sent from a Shaftamle Galaxy S4
"Thanks Button" is always appreciated!
Well I'm not really concerned about the Knox counter or OTA stuff as if i could use a custom recovery i could just flash the stuff without the need of waiting 3 more months for some crappy carrier to release it with their bloatware filled bulls***. & on other brand topic I would just buy a Nexus 5 if not for it's incompatibility with Verizon but thats really the only other phone I can think of that really intrigues me besides the S4.
 
Shaftamle
Old
#4  
Shaftamle's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 3,366
Posts: 1,552
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Ellicott City

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by S1L3nTShaDoWz View Post
Well I'm not really concerned about the Knox counter or OTA stuff as if i could use a custom recovery i could just flash the stuff without the need of waiting 3 more months for some crappy carrier to release it with their bloatware filled bulls***. & on other brand topic I would just buy a Nexus 5 if not for it's incompatibility with Verizon but thats really the only other phone I can think of that really intrigues me besides the S4.
There are many reports circulating that the Nexus 6 will be on Verizon. So try to hold out.

Sent from a Shaftamle Galaxy S4
"Thanks Button" is always appreciated!
http://mycolorscreen.com/Shaftamle/
Current Line Up
Samsung Galaxy S4- Verizon
ROM: Eclipse- 4.4.2


Check Out My Themed Google Keyboards Here!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shaftamle For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes