[Q] Kernel/Rom Compatibility

10th May 2014, 02:27 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

8 posts
More
Hello XDA Friends,

First, some background on my question. My last device had a locked bootloader, so I could flash roms and could even get recovery, but I could never change the kernel. Thus, I never learned about custom kernels. Today, however, I have a Asus Transformer Infinity with an unlocked bootloader and a Cyanogenmod 11 nightly installed. There are several nice kernels I'm looking to try. My tablet also has a Tegra 3 process I'm eager to overclock, and so we arrive at my question.

Can I flash the MaxKernel, or other kernel, under Cyanogenmod without issues? I assume that my TF700T is still using the stock kernel right now, but are all kernels compatable with all roms? Also, I welcome any constructive comments, information, or external reading on kernels you you have to offer.

Thanks in advance,
User_5573
10th May 2014, 07:38 AM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Kenilworth, Coventry
Thanks Meter: 13,051

11,562 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by User_5573

Hello XDA Friends,

First, some background on my question. My last device had a locked bootloader, so I could flash roms and could even get recovery, but I could never change the kernel. Thus, I never learned about custom kernels. Today, however, I have a Asus Transformer Infinity with an unlocked bootloader and a Cyanogenmod 11 nightly installed. There are several nice kernels I'm looking to try. My tablet also has a Tegra 3 process I'm eager to overclock, and so we arrive at my question.

Can I flash the MaxKernel, or other kernel, under Cyanogenmod without issues? I assume that my TF700T is still using the stock kernel right now, but are all kernels compatable with all roms? Also, I welcome any constructive comments, information, or external reading on kernels you you have to offer.

Thanks in advance,
User_5573

You are very limited what you can flash for CM11 I'm afraid.

If you look in my crombi-kk thread I include 3 kernels in my rom (I never released them seperately) that are basically variants of the asus stock kernel with the CM11 ramdisk to make them work with CM11. They bring good improvements especially _that's kernel.

To make a kernel work with CM11 you have to take the originalkernel zimage and add the CM11 ramdisk. You also need to include the modules for wifi/bluetooth from the original kernel and then edit the init.cardhu.rc in the ramdisk to load them via the insmod command.

If that all sounds a but technical - flash my crombi-kk rom (CM11 base) and be done with it
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread

Top Threads in Transformer TF700 Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting by ThreadRank