Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,336 Members 37,721 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Kernel/Rom Compatibility

Tip us?

User_5573
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Kernel/Rom Compatibility

Hello XDA Friends,

First, some background on my question. My last device had a locked bootloader, so I could flash roms and could even get recovery, but I could never change the kernel. Thus, I never learned about custom kernels. Today, however, I have a Asus Transformer Infinity with an unlocked bootloader and a Cyanogenmod 11 nightly installed. There are several nice kernels I'm looking to try. My tablet also has a Tegra 3 process I'm eager to overclock, and so we arrive at my question.

Can I flash the MaxKernel, or other kernel, under Cyanogenmod without issues? I assume that my TF700T is still using the stock kernel right now, but are all kernels compatable with all roms? Also, I welcome any constructive comments, information, or external reading on kernels you you have to offer.

Thanks in advance,
User_5573

sbdags
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 12,753

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by User_5573 View Post
Hello XDA Friends,

First, some background on my question. My last device had a locked bootloader, so I could flash roms and could even get recovery, but I could never change the kernel. Thus, I never learned about custom kernels. Today, however, I have a Asus Transformer Infinity with an unlocked bootloader and a Cyanogenmod 11 nightly installed. There are several nice kernels I'm looking to try. My tablet also has a Tegra 3 process I'm eager to overclock, and so we arrive at my question.

Can I flash the MaxKernel, or other kernel, under Cyanogenmod without issues? I assume that my TF700T is still using the stock kernel right now, but are all kernels compatable with all roms? Also, I welcome any constructive comments, information, or external reading on kernels you you have to offer.

Thanks in advance,
User_5573
You are very limited what you can flash for CM11 I'm afraid.

If you look in my crombi-kk thread I include 3 kernels in my rom (I never released them seperately) that are basically variants of the asus stock kernel with the CM11 ramdisk to make them work with CM11. They bring good improvements especially _that's kernel.

To make a kernel work with CM11 you have to take the originalkernel zimage and add the CM11 ramdisk. You also need to include the modules for wifi/bluetooth from the original kernel and then edit the init.cardhu.rc in the ramdisk to load them via the insmod command.

If that all sounds a but technical - flash my crombi-kk rom (CM11 base) and be done with it