Learn to Sync Files Between Android And PC with Unison

Dropbox and similar cloud services are great if youre planning to keep your files … more

OnePlus Indian Ban Lifted, Android One Expanding – XDA TV

Android 5.0.1 Lollipop is available for the Nvidia SHIELD Tablet! That and … more

Nvidia and Robotics w/ Barrett Williams – XDA:DevCon 2014

Robotics continues to dominate our videos from this years XDA:DevCon 2014 in … more

Speed Up Deodexing with JoelDroid Batch Deodexer

Android 5.0 Lollipop brings many under-the-hood changes like changing the default compiler … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Is there a way to unblock inbound traffic?

OP squat251

26th January 2014, 09:25 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

10 posts
I cannot ping my IP while tethering on my phone. Is there a way to unblock inbound connections on the site, or is it a phone option? There are apps to do this, but they all say you need to be able to ping the phone, and I can't.

I use my phone's tethering as my main internet while at home (unlimited plan) but can't host any games because no one can connect to me.
4th May 2014, 09:57 PM   |  #2  
OP Junior Member

10 posts
Still not a thing? I can't ask anywhere else due to the post limitations.
4th May 2014, 10:51 PM   |  #3  
New York
Thanks Meter: 27

289 posts
More
While your computer is tethered to the Internet through your phone, what are the IP numbers of the phone and of the computer?
What IP number are you trying to ping, and whence?
4th May 2014, 11:27 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member

10 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpradley

While your computer is tethered to the Internet through your phone, what are the IP numbers of the phone and of the computer?
What IP number are you trying to ping, and whence?

The current IP for all computers connected to my phone is: 70.194.2.149

Using that IP I cannot host any games. Though for some reason I can on PS4, so I have no idea what's going on there.
5th May 2014, 12:50 AM   |  #5  
New York

289 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by squat251

The current IP for all computers connected to my phone is: 70.194.2.149

Using that IP I cannot host any games. Though for some reason I can on PS4, so I have no idea what's going on there.

Every ethernet port, wired or not, has an IP address. Two devices cannot have the same IP address, each address on a network has to be unique. 70.194.2.149 is the (public WAN) address of a single device, probably that of the incoming port of your router. Your computers each have their own IP numbers (typically in the 192.168.x.y numbering scheme). Your router also has an address in that same number range, for use on its inside (private LAN) ethernet connections.

I don't want to write a dissertation on NAT (network address translation), but that is what the router performs so that your browsers or your Telo "appear" to be coming from 70.194.2.149. Net result,as far as your computers are concerned: they can call out, intitiate a connection to wherever, but nothing can initiate any contact to them from the outside world (short of doing some "port forwarding" in the router). Look up NAT iand port forwarding in a search engine.

BTW, what is "PS4"?
5th May 2014, 02:31 AM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member

10 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpradley

Every ethernet port, wired or not, has an IP address. Two devices cannot have the same IP address, each address on a network has to be unique. 70.194.2.149 is the (public WAN) address of a single device, probably that of the incoming port of your router. Your computers each have their own IP numbers (typically in the 192.168.x.y numbering scheme). Your router also has an address in that same number range, for use on its inside (private LAN) ethernet connections.

I don't want to write a dissertation on NAT (network address translation), but that is what the router performs so that your browsers or your Telo "appear" to be coming from 70.194.2.149. Net result,as far as your computers are concerned: they can call out, intitiate a connection to wherever, but nothing can initiate any contact to them from the outside world (short of doing some "port forwarding" in the router). Look up NAT iand port forwarding in a search engine.

BTW, what is "PS4"?

Playstation 4. All of my PC's connect to the internet through my phone. There is no router, there is no ethernet. They all share the same IP because that is the IP of my phone (my best guess.) That is why all the targeted ads are from the same town. I don't know where in my first post, or any there after you gathered that I am having issues with a router.
5th May 2014, 08:30 PM   |  #7  
New York

289 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by squat251

Playstation 4. All of my PC's connect to the internet through my phone. There is no router, there is no ethernet. They all share the same IP because that is the IP of my phone (my best guess.) That is why all the targeted ads are from the same town. I don't know where in my first post, or any there after you gathered that I am having issues with a router.

Ah, OK. Then it is your phone which is acting as a router and is doing the NAT procedures. I don't know how to make a phone forward specific IP ports to specific IP addresses.
10th May 2014, 07:11 AM   |  #8  
Flag Michigan City, IN
Thanks Meter: 932

3,146 posts
Donate to Me
More
You need a port forwarding app to allow incoming traffic to reach the right device on the network.

Forward what ever port(s) your game uses from the public wan ip to the game consoles ip provided by the phone.

So lets say forward port 1234 (or all ports) to 192.168.1.10, or what ever the game consoles ip is.
10th May 2014, 09:09 AM   |  #9  
OP Junior Member

10 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmlusco

You need a port forwarding app to allow incoming traffic to reach the right device on the network.

Forward what ever port(s) your game uses from the public wan ip to the game consoles ip provided by the phone.

So lets say forward port 1234 (or all ports) to 192.168.1.10, or what ever the game consoles ip is.

That would work, only all the port forwarding apps require that you be able to ping your public IP. I cannot, all packets are lost no matter what method I use. I would call and ask Verizon, but I have unlimited data, and there is no way I will let them weasel that out of me.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread