Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,468 Members 37,511 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Help Can't access Bootloader

Tip us?

Jonnibravo
Old
(Last edited by Jonnibravo; 1st May 2014 at 11:49 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 67
Default Help Can't access Bootloader

Hi All,

I have an international HTC ONE M8 which I managed to root and s-off without a problem. However since I s-off-ed the phone will not reboot into bootloader.

When I try to power off and reboot with vol-down and power it either reboots or flashes between the battery screen and TWRP, which say swipe to unlock but it flashes too quick for mee to do this. This a strange error I never come across before in the years Ive been flashing and modding devices.

Also ADB no longer sees this phone in fastboot, I can issue fastboot commands but not ADB

Can anyone help
HTC G1 - Since departed ---- HTC Desire - Runny Rom 7.0.2 -----

----- HTC One X - Viper 2.1.0-(Now Stuck in APX Mode awaiting a fix)
-----

---- HTC One X+ - Viper 2.03 ---- HTC One M7 - Rooted & S-Off InsertCoin 2.4.0 -----

---- HTC One M8 - Rooted and S-Off Viper 1.8.0 ---- With Samsung Gear Live Watch

exad
Old
Thanks Meter 1,406

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnibravo View Post
Hi All,

I have an international HTC ONE M8 which I managed to root and s-off without a problem. However since I s-off-ed the phone will not reboot into bootloader.

When I try to power off and reboot with vol-down and power it either reboots or flashes between the battery screen and TWRP, which say swipe to unlock but it flashes too quick for mee to do this. This a strange error I never come across before in the years Ive been flashing and modding devices.

Also ADB no longer sees this phone in fastboot, I can issue fastboot commands but not ADB

Can anyone help
Press and hold power and volume up until phone shuts off. Let go of power and volume up then hold volume down until bootloader comes up -_-
My Phone: Telus HTC One M8: 3.16 HBOOT S-OFF

Exad's m8 Everything Explained Thread

The Following User Says Thank You to exad For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Jonnibravo
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by exad View Post
Press and hold power and volume up until phone shuts off. Let go of power and volume up then hold volume down until bootloader comes up -_-

Genius, thanks. I'm too used to my other devices where you simply did the power button down.
HTC G1 - Since departed ---- HTC Desire - Runny Rom 7.0.2 -----

----- HTC One X - Viper 2.1.0-(Now Stuck in APX Mode awaiting a fix)
-----

---- HTC One X+ - Viper 2.03 ---- HTC One M7 - Rooted & S-Off InsertCoin 2.4.0 -----

---- HTC One M8 - Rooted and S-Off Viper 1.8.0 ---- With Samsung Gear Live Watch

lampel
Old
Thanks Meter 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnibravo View Post
Hi All,

Can anyone help
You might also try making sure Fastboot in the power menu is off. And ADB won't work in Fastboot mode - you either have to boot into recovery or android for ADB.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Provider: T-Mobile US
Device: HTC One

mpogr
Old
Thanks Meter 49
Something happened to my M8 so I can't access bootloader anymore. Pressing Power and Vol Up just boots the phone and then the screen goes blank. Pressing Vol Down to get into fastboot doesn't work anymore (it used to up until now). Any clue?

hanginwithdaddo
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpogr View Post
Something happened to my M8 so I can't access bootloader anymore. Pressing Power and Vol Up just boots the phone and then the screen goes blank. Pressing Vol Down to get into fastboot doesn't work anymore (it used to up until now). Any clue?
Press and hold the volume down, then at the same time press and hold the power button (both should be held now).
Wait for the screen to go blank.
When the screen goes blank, release the power button, but continue to hold the volume down button.
You should then eventually see the fastboot/hboot menu.

mpogr
Old
Thanks Meter 49
OK, found what the issue was. The problem was that my phone's screen was going blank after the normal boot screen, so I couldn't see when it gets turned off. I was simply pressing the Vol Up + Power for too long, so it would go into full reboot. I just measured the amount of time it was taking to do this (was ~12 seconds). So I pressed Vol Up + Power for ~10 secs, then released those and pressed Vol Down. That finally brought me into Fastboot.
I could have probably gotten the same result by pressing Vol Down + Power, however, the phone screen was blank all the time, so it was difficult to understand when I should have released the Power button to let it go into Fastboot.