Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,174 Members 36,062 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: were you aware of using App ops as wakelock blocker and battery saver?
Yes 50 30.67%
No 113 69.33%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

[GUIDE] Using Apps Ops (or Privacy Guard) 4 blocking wakelocks & saving battery

Tip us?
 
Kapiljhajhria
Old
#11  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 437
Posts: 685
Join Date: May 2011
Location: gurgaon

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnifeHead View Post
How's for S4 I9500?
Anyone know where to find this option, or how to unhide it?
If you are using xposed. Try "app ops" module . uf there is app ops hidden on your device it will unhide it. But from some stock ROMs it has been completely removed. And in some custom ROMs developers might have limited its use(functionality).
Try asking in the thread of ROM that you are currently on. You will known for sure from there where the app ops is on your ROM.
Don't say "Thank you" ....Instead USE "THANK YOU" BUTTON.
GT I9300
Samachar-Indian news app.
[GUIDE] Using Apps Ops (or Privacy Guard) 4 blocking wakelocks & saving battery
[GUIDE] Using XPRIVACY

 
[4.4.3][CM11] temasek's UNOFFICIAL (latest)
FAQ or Q&A section
Boeffla kernel (latest )

My Youtube channel - please have a look and suggest content
For Indian Users I have Started New INDIAN AUTOMOBILE FORUMS. come be a part of it



The Following User Says Thank You to Kapiljhajhria For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
KnifeHead
Old
#12  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 56
Posts: 148
Join Date: Nov 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapiljhajhria View Post
If you are using xposed. Try "app ops" module . uf there is app ops hidden on your device it will unhide it. But from some stock ROMs it has been completely removed. And in some custom ROMs developers might have limited its use(functionality).
Try asking in the thread of ROM that you are currently on. You will known for sure from there where the app ops is on your ROM.
Tried app ops xposed and it can unhide app ops in setting > more > app ops
Using samsung stock rom ubufnd2.
Device: SGS4 I9500 Black Mist Bootloader: Old Bootloader I9500XXUBMG1
ROM: AlfkyROM GNH4 Odexed ROM Kernel: MaxFour14 Repackaged GNH4
Baseband: I9500XXUGNF6 Recovery: Philz Touch v6.48.4
Audio Mod By
 
Kapiljhajhria
Old
(Last edited by Kapiljhajhria; 8th May 2014 at 09:53 AM.)
#13  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 437
Posts: 685
Join Date: May 2011
Location: gurgaon

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by C114 View Post
App Ops module for xposed does not work as well. Same problem. Im on 4.4.2 Google Edition. I have Samsung s4. Flashed current rom with full wipe as it stated in instruction. Cheers

Send from my C3350 using Tapatalk.
you can give this app a try.
found one article here some text from that is below:
Users of Galaxy S4 Google Play edition handsets have started receiving Android 4.2.2 over-the-air update notifications just a day after the same update was rolled out to Play editions of LG G Pad 8.3 and HTC One.

Android 4.4.2 not only brings in new features and bug fixes, but also removes App Ops from the OS which Google claims was mistakenly tagged along with the Android 4.3 update. The Apps Ops allowed users to control how much access can third party apps have on their personal data.


the app for which i have given you the link installs some customized version of app ops. not sure whether it will work on your phone or not.
Don't say "Thank you" ....Instead USE "THANK YOU" BUTTON.
GT I9300
Samachar-Indian news app.
[GUIDE] Using Apps Ops (or Privacy Guard) 4 blocking wakelocks & saving battery
[GUIDE] Using XPRIVACY

 
[4.4.3][CM11] temasek's UNOFFICIAL (latest)
FAQ or Q&A section
Boeffla kernel (latest )

My Youtube channel - please have a look and suggest content
For Indian Users I have Started New INDIAN AUTOMOBILE FORUMS. come be a part of it



 
setspeed
Old
(Last edited by setspeed; 8th May 2014 at 10:43 PM.)
#14  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 135
Posts: 942
Join Date: May 2009
Can someone confirm for me what some of the permissions are actually for?

Wi-Fi change
Data change
Bluetooth change

Also, if I allow an app 'Wake up', but not 'Keep awake' - could the app keep waking the phone in an attempt to gain the wakelock which it is being denied?

'Keep awake' only applies if the screen is off, correct?
If I deny 'Keep awake' then an app won't close down while I'm using it, but it could be put into hibernation (don't know the correct term) by Android while it's in the middle of a background task? Like a radio app could just close, or a browser which is downloading something could just terminate the download before it's completed?
--------------------------------------
POSSIBLY MY NEXT
Moto X+1

CURRENT
Phone :: Google Nexus 5
ROM :: Mahdi-ROM 2.7
Kernel: ElementalX

RETIRED / SOLD / STOPPED WORKING
Phone :: Samsung Galaxy S3, HTC Desire Z, HTC Desire, TMobile G1

BRIEFLY FLIRTED WITH
Phone :: Google Nexus 4, Samsung Galaxy S i9000, Google Nexus 1
 
C114
Old
#15  
C114's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 6
Posts: 55
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Inverness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapiljhajhria View Post
you can give this app a try.
found one article here some text from that is below:
Users of Galaxy S4 Google Play edition handsets have started receiving Android 4.2.2 over-the-air update notifications just a day after the same update was rolled out to Play editions of LG G Pad 8.3 and HTC One.

Android 4.4.2 not only brings in new features and bug fixes, but also removes App Ops from the OS which Google claims was mistakenly tagged along with the Android 4.3 update. The Apps Ops allowed users to control how much access can third party apps have on their personal data.


the app for which i have given you the link installs some customized version of app ops. not sure whether it will work on your phone or not.
On play store it says 'item not found'.
Thanks for your help.

Send from my C3350 using Tapatalk.
 
Kapiljhajhria
Old
(Last edited by Kapiljhajhria; 9th May 2014 at 07:10 PM.)
#16  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 437
Posts: 685
Join Date: May 2011
Location: gurgaon

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by setspeed View Post
Can someone confirm for me what some of the permissions are actually for?

Wi-Fi change
Data change
Bluetooth change

Also, if I allow an app 'Wake up', but not 'Keep awake' - could the app keep waking the phone in an attempt to gain the wakelock which it is being denied?

'Keep awake' only applies if the screen is off, correct?
If I deny 'Keep awake' then an app won't close down while I'm using it, but it could be put into hibernation (don't know the correct term) by Android while it's in the middle of a background task? Like a radio app could just close, or a browser which is downloading something could just terminate the download before it's completed?
wake up means : if device is in standby mode then that app can wake up your phone from sleep. like Facebook app when you recieve some notification it wakes up your phone to show notification.
keep awake means: while your phone is in use. if you are using some app and it is performing some operation and your phone screen times out and display switched off. after a while your phone will go in deep sleep. this permission will prevent it from going in deep sleep mode and keep phone awake. for example if you are downloading something via some download manager. and you have denied that download manager "keep awake" permission. so after you screen times out and there is no other app or process that is keeping your phone awake. this download manager will not be able to keep your phone awake. so download will stop .

so you need to use these permissions carefully. make sure you don't deny some app permission which is essential for its normal function.

you can deny Facebook both these wakelocks if you don't care about getting facebook notification all the time

Wifi Change and Data change is normally shown in apps that uses data. and also have options like sync or download only on wifi or only on mobile data. it is essential for that app to determine the change. so that it can act according to its settings.

For Bluetooth change you need to tell me for which app you are talking about? maybe some automatic profiles app like llama, tasker, etc they need this permission as there are profiles or conditions like switch on Bluetooth when in this area or if connected to this Bluetooth device do this

few people denied "settings" wake up and keep awake permission and they screwed up their phone. they had to reflash the entire ROM . they reported no touch, device not waking up from deep sleep. etc.
so just be extra careful when you are experimenting with system apps.
Don't say "Thank you" ....Instead USE "THANK YOU" BUTTON.
GT I9300
Samachar-Indian news app.
[GUIDE] Using Apps Ops (or Privacy Guard) 4 blocking wakelocks & saving battery
[GUIDE] Using XPRIVACY

 
[4.4.3][CM11] temasek's UNOFFICIAL (latest)
FAQ or Q&A section
Boeffla kernel (latest )

My Youtube channel - please have a look and suggest content
For Indian Users I have Started New INDIAN AUTOMOBILE FORUMS. come be a part of it



The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kapiljhajhria For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Kapiljhajhria
Old
#17  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 437
Posts: 685
Join Date: May 2011
Location: gurgaon

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by C114 View Post
On play store it says 'item not found'.
Thanks for your help.

Send from my C3350 using Tapatalk.
Search play store for App ops
there are plenty of apps that unhide App ops and some also flash App Ops files .
Also can you give me the link to thread of your current ROM.
Don't say "Thank you" ....Instead USE "THANK YOU" BUTTON.
GT I9300
Samachar-Indian news app.
[GUIDE] Using Apps Ops (or Privacy Guard) 4 blocking wakelocks & saving battery
[GUIDE] Using XPRIVACY

 
[4.4.3][CM11] temasek's UNOFFICIAL (latest)
FAQ or Q&A section
Boeffla kernel (latest )

My Youtube channel - please have a look and suggest content
For Indian Users I have Started New INDIAN AUTOMOBILE FORUMS. come be a part of it



 
C114
Old
(Last edited by C114; 9th May 2014 at 10:53 AM.)
#18  
C114's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 6
Posts: 55
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Inverness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapiljhajhria View Post
Search play store for App ops
there are plenty of apps that unhide App ops and some also flash App Ops files .
Also can you give me the link to thread of your current ROM.
Link to the ROM
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2557353

I think i found the solution with this app
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....apppermission

Send from my C3350 using Tapatalk.
 
Kapiljhajhria
Old
#19  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 437
Posts: 685
Join Date: May 2011
Location: gurgaon

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by C114 View Post
Link to the ROM
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2557353

I think i found the solution with this app
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....apppermission

Send from my C3350 using Tapatalk.
if thats working for you then great.

BTW your ROM does have app ops
below quote is from your ROM chnagelog 02/18/2014.

Quote:
Enabled app ops in Settings > Security, Take total control of the permissions apps are granted when you install them from google play, VERY useful if you are concerned about privacy or you just don't want some misc app seeing your SMS's or having network permissions
Don't say "Thank you" ....Instead USE "THANK YOU" BUTTON.
GT I9300
Samachar-Indian news app.
[GUIDE] Using Apps Ops (or Privacy Guard) 4 blocking wakelocks & saving battery
[GUIDE] Using XPRIVACY

 
[4.4.3][CM11] temasek's UNOFFICIAL (latest)
FAQ or Q&A section
Boeffla kernel (latest )

My Youtube channel - please have a look and suggest content
For Indian Users I have Started New INDIAN AUTOMOBILE FORUMS. come be a part of it



 
Kapiljhajhria
Old
#20  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 437
Posts: 685
Join Date: May 2011
Location: gurgaon

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by aavvaallooss View Post
Waiting for PowerPoint because my understanding of spoken english is (very) limited.

Thank you!
PPT uploaded
Don't say "Thank you" ....Instead USE "THANK YOU" BUTTON.
GT I9300
Samachar-Indian news app.
[GUIDE] Using Apps Ops (or Privacy Guard) 4 blocking wakelocks & saving battery
[GUIDE] Using XPRIVACY

 
[4.4.3][CM11] temasek's UNOFFICIAL (latest)
FAQ or Q&A section
Boeffla kernel (latest )

My Youtube channel - please have a look and suggest content
For Indian Users I have Started New INDIAN AUTOMOBILE FORUMS. come be a part of it




The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kapiljhajhria For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
app ops, privacy guard, wakelock
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes